The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RX 7- Applying the same edits to a new file DAW Software
Old 2 weeks ago
Mastering Engineer

RX 7- Applying the same edits to a new file

Hi
I have a track I mastered yesterday that required a lot of de-clicking etc in RX7. I saved the RX session but today I have been sent a new version of the mix and I will need to apply the same edits to the new file.

Does anyone know how to apply the same EDL to the new file? Is it possible at all?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Davis View Post
Hi
I have a track I mastered yesterday that required a lot of de-clicking etc in RX7. I saved the RX session but today I have been sent a new version of the mix and I will need to apply the same edits to the new file.

Does anyone know how to apply the same EDL to the new file? Is it possible at all?
I don't think it's possible but I have requested this to iZotope because I feel your pain.

Happens all too often.

This is a big part of why I like my workflow of using RX as REAPER's primary audio editor.

When listening to a file in REAPER, which for me is my captures from my analog chain, if I hear a click or noise I can highlight that section, and VERY quickly send a copy of this audio to RX standalone, make the fix, save/overwrite the file (because it's a copy), toggle back to REAPER and move on. It looks like a lot in words but I can fix a mouth click in 1 or two seconds tops using REAPER/RX.

This way among other things, I have a visual map of where all the problems were and if I receive a new mix from the client, I know what sections have issues.

I've even gotten away with preserving a few of my original fixes if the mix hasn't changed in that section. For example, if I've spent time removing the metronome bleed as the song trails off, my workflow allows me to toggle easily to my original RX fix there and not have to redo it.

All in all it's not ideal but better than what RX offers natively.

IMO it's a crucial missing feature.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
This is one of the most painful situations to be in for sure! It's joyless monotonous work.

The only solution is to either ask the client to declick their own mixes, or make them aware of it ahead of time and warn that a revision will incur an extra charge due to the amount of corrective / restorative processing.

A few clicks isn't such a problem, but when it's up to an hour of this type of task for one track, it's a bit much.
Old 2 weeks ago
Mastering Engineer

Thanks Justin. Yeah I normally use RX monitor and connect in the exact same way on individual snippets but this one really needed a lot of edits so I sent the whole mix out in one chunk.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Justin. Yeah I normally use RX monitor and connect in the exact same way on individual snippets but this one really needed a lot of edits so I sent the whole mix out in one chunk.
I hear you, sometimes that is the best approach.

iZotope really needs to add this feature, as well as ability to restore a section to its original state within an rxdoc (CEDAR can do it now). It'd also be great if RX could drop a marker at each edit point with the name of the module used to make an edit, bonus points if you could click on the marker to see the settings used.

But, these requests have fallen on deaf ears over there.
Old 2 weeks ago
Mastering Engineer

I'm off to write a strongly worded email
Old 2 weeks ago
I have accomplished this in the past, when the mix is almost exactly the same as before (say the guitar was turned up 1db), by using a polarity-reversed audio file of just the removed clicks (created by nulling the original mix with the declicked mix). This can work pretty well if the elements you were declicking have not significantly changed for the new mix.

You have to be careful, and check each click to make sure nothing strange has happened, but it can be a time-saver for mixes where extensive manual click removal has been applied.
Old 2 weeks ago
Mastering Engineer

Interesting. I have used that kind of technique to turn down say a vocal by using the vocal stem inverted against the main mix but I hadn't though of that kind of thing in this context.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
RX has a Module chain feature where you can save a preset of a processing chain and apply it to multiple files like an effects rack. It only works for fully-automatic processing, i.e. it does not make selections for you or apply Spectral Repair.
Old 2 weeks ago
Mastering Engineer

Yeah thanks Alexey. My problem is with more precise edits to specific glitches rather than an overall whole file process.
I have used the Module Chain for some things alright but it won't solve this issue.

I've gone and finished the track manually but I must contact iZotope with my issue as I'm sure it could be something they could implement
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Anything that enters the undo/redo stack ought to be saveable and recallable, so assuming that the revised file is EXACTLY the same length / number of samples, it should be entirely possible to save and reapply any and all edits made in RX to a revised mix. It just needs the will to implement it on Izotope's side.

It would be a real lifesaver of they did!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm off to write a strongly worded email
Please do. When I requested it, it went nowhere. I am also talking about precise spectral edits and not global processing using a module on an entire file. It's rare when we can do that in mastering. It's all about precise spot cleanup.

Considering how common it is now to get a new mix file because the client overlooked a problem, it can really be bad news if you do a ton of RX work and then they send a new file, not understanding why you can't just pop it in and use the same settings.

I've actually had some projects with excessive clicks/pops and I'll hold off fixing them all until the client has otherwise approved the mastering.

I don't like to work this way but if I have a slight inclination that new mix files might be sent, I'll skip the RX cleanup process of removing random clicks/pops until we're sure everything else is OK.

I much prefer to just deliver the initial master all cleaned up and ready to roll which is what I do most of the time, but now and then a project comes through where I hesitate to do RX work in fear of a new mix file being sent. It's not a fun way to work.

On a related note, I believe CEDAR can already do this but I often wish I could select an area of a file in an RXDOC and have it restored to its original state. Sometimes you remove a noise that is meant to be there, or sometimes you just want to try a different or less aggressive approach and while there are workarounds, it would be so nice to simply select an area of a file in an RXDOC and have it restored to its original state.
Old 2 weeks ago
Mastering Engineer

We might have to start a petition
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
It is something I started asking for back on RX2
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I second this request!

Last edited by ljudatervinning; 2 weeks ago at 08:33 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
This is an intentional omission. Inexcusable for the Advanced version. Looking at the xml edit files, it looks easy enough to implement.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Somebody on one of the Facebook mastering groups came up with a workaround that works.

It involves tricking RX into looking at a different source file by renaming the old file to something else and renaming the new file to match the original file name.

Here is his summary:

ok, after some tests i can say the rename one works. i did my treatment and saved a doc file. after i closed rx. then you put the new wave file in the place of the old one. (don´t trow the old one away, you can do this months later this way with the first doc file.). rename the new file like the old one but with the ending rx.doc. when you reopen rx it will open the new file and the old history. if you wish to do it months later you have to reopen as first the old doc file. after simply close rx and do the rename stuff...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
That would suggest all moves inside RX are non-desctructive like an edit list in a DAW. Doesn't feel that way when I have to wait X number of seconds for a spectral repair to render but maybe everything is happening with temp files and nothing is changed until a new file is exported.

Alexey???
Old 2 weeks ago
Mastering Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin P. View Post
Somebody on one of the Facebook mastering groups came up with a workaround that works.

It involves tricking RX into looking at a different source file by renaming the old file to something else and renaming the new file to match the original file name.

Here is his summary:

ok, after some tests i can say the rename one works. i did my treatment and saved a doc file. after i closed rx. then you put the new wave file in the place of the old one. (don´t trow the old one away, you can do this months later this way with the first doc file.). rename the new file like the old one but with the ending rx.doc. when you reopen rx it will open the new file and the old history. if you wish to do it months later you have to reopen as first the old doc file. after simply close rx and do the rename stuff...
Thanks. I'll check that out. I had tried to open the RX.doc contents to try and replace the underlying original audio file but had no success.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
This shouldn't work. RX will indeed "open the new file with the old history", but the history will contain processed versions of the old file, not the new one.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexey Lukin View Post
This shouldn't work. RX will indeed "open the new file with the old history", but the history will contain processed versions of the old file, not the new one.
Do you think there is a chance of RX8 making this work more natively? A simple "apply RX DOC edits to a new source file" or "replace source file" inside an RX DOC and have the same edits applied.

Getting an updated mix after doing a bunch of RX work and the mastering is a very real situation and having to redo all the RX edits can be a really bummer if it's a file that need a lot of clean up work of mouth clicks, thumps, and other noises here and there.

It's pretty rare in mastering that'd I'd processed an entire file with RX. Often it's just spot editing in the problem spots.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
In Pro Tools it's not too painful. I usually line it up with the previous mix, tab to each edit shift+tab to select the previous edited region, colon to bring that selection down to the revised mix and then send that to RX7 using the Connect plugin. edit send back, lather, rinse, repeat. Pretty quick really if you have the previous edits in tact i.e. not consolidated. If you've consolidated all the edits, you maybe lucky in opening one of the session back up files pre-consolidation that you can use to find where you did each edit.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Do you think there is a chance of RX8 making this work more natively?
This is possible, but please email support to up this feature in the backlog.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGray View Post
In Pro Tools it's not too painful. I usually line it up with the previous mix, tab to each edit shift+tab to select the previous edited region, colon to bring that selection down to the revised mix and then send that to RX7 using the Connect plugin. edit send back, lather, rinse, repeat. Pretty quick really if you have the previous edits in tact i.e. not consolidated. If you've consolidated all the edits, you maybe lucky in opening one of the session back up files pre-consolidation that you can use to find where you did each edit.
Yes, for most normal projects this is what I do. I use REAPER to play/capture using my analog chain and then I clean up any noises and whatnot post-capture before finalizing in WaveLab.

I have RX standalone set as REAPER's primary external editor so when you find a problem spot, you simply highlight the area, press a key command, and a copy of that section opens in RX standalone. It's kind of like RX Connect but faster.

Then you make your RX edit(s), save/overwrite the file (because it's a copy), close it, and toggle back to REAPER and carry on. No importing or exporting needed.

The point is that you at least have a visual map of all the edits on your timeline, and you can still toggle back to the original source audio quickly due to REAPER's take system if needed to either try the edit again, or if you accidentally removed a noise that is meant to be there.

Because of REAPER's accuracy I've even been able to toggle back to the original RX edits I've made if the mix hasn't changed there.

For example, if I spent some time removing metronome bleed on the tail of the song, or other part of the song, I've been able to toggle back to that take seamlessly and avoid redoing that which can be a nice time saver. No guesswork trying to edit two takes together. The versions are all in sync and available to choose from, like comping a vocal.

The point is though, sometimes for projects that need A LOT of RX cleanup, or if it's a delicate project that I'm mastering all "in the box", I'll do all the RX edits first in the standalone app before loading the mixes into WaveLab for mastering and this is where it's a real bummer to get a new mix file and have to redo all that work, and without a map of where the edits were made, this is even less fun.

If it's a typical project, my workflow makes it fairly painless to redo the RX edits when a new mix is sent but for those edit heavy projects (you know the ones), getting a new mix file after you've fixed it all can be a real drag.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
... and this is where it's a real bummer to get a new mix file and have to redo all that work, and without a map of where the edits were made, this is even less fun.
That's the issue in a nutshell!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search