The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which plugin does the best job of creating that magic 3D depth that hardware imparts? Equalizer Plugins
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post
ok, in a stemmastering, el-rey has now worked quite nicely.
but it's a mixtool, on the buzz the plugins don't really inspire me compared to hardware (if you switch a/b, it becomes pretty clear).
if i am forced to stay itb, the Acoustica plugins can help.

but I won't buy many more now, especially since every 6 months "everything has finally become soooo much better and now really sounds like hardware" - or something like that.
Yes true, and I've said that myself (akin to HW). Sounds closer to HW would be a more accurate statement. I suppose it's the nature of comparing to previous algos and whatnot.

Slightly OT - how are you finding the Pollock?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Yes true, and I've said that myself (akin to HW). Sounds closer to HW would be a more accurate statement. I suppose it's the nature of comparing to previous algos and whatnot.

Slightly OT - how are you finding the Pollock?
the pollock can make the difference between "pretty good" and "you got the job" - but it needs a signal that already has a pretty well setted dynamic.

OT off
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'll add DMG Essence as another one that doesn't remove depth. Its actually a great Wideband compressor which it isn't advertised as. True Iron is pretty good as well, tough I wish the filtering wasn't so extreme.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
True Iron is pretty good as well, tough I wish the filtering wasn't so extreme.
How do you get away with calling a string of code anything other than True Code? Or at least, Pretend Iron?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
-Probably the least analog-like approach but spectral compressors when their curve is set dark and low ratio (they can go crazy quick with aggressive settings).

-Waves Cobalt Saphira, really wanted to like this plug-in (a saturator that doesn't suck dynamics too much) but complex and couldn't drive as much as I wanted.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I’m a hybrid guy... lots of outboard and lots of computer robot sh1t

I’ve never done any serious a/b sort of testing, but, I’m sure someone in the internet has:

Uad or Nebula expensive compressor vs real dbx or solid cheap outboard box

I love outboard and everything I do (except virtual instruments) is tracked through all manner of real gear... I even run VIs through outboard when I’m not being lazy... running a DI bass through a real la2a or gtr through a dbx 160x (wassup, Brent!) sounds great and takes a lot less time to setup than most plugins.

I also have a ridiculous library of plugins... pricey? Cool, I’ll buy it. Except for Nebula stuff... I just don’t dig the company. It seems to me that they basically ran a giant beta test through Nebula until they had the tech to launch the expensive modeling line of pink, aqua, etc. that and I just don’t hear such an enormous difference in the end results compared against the native and uad stuff that I have... and with regard to compression I don’t feel like the AA Nebula stuff is ready for prime time. Maybe folks that don’t own any actual gear are hearing something with AA Nebula that I don’t... but, if I spent $300 on a plugin I know my brain would absolutely try to convince me that it is amazing! but, hell, if you’re tracking everything through the built in preamps in a prosumer sub $1000 usb interface I suspect that the AA Nebula plugins make a difference, perhaps.

All of that being said, to me there is something liberating about having the program 98% “there” before it even hits the converters.

The added feature of outboard is that it’ll outlast whatever daw you’re using... there’s no ilok...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I had a fun experience recently - which I don't quite understand, but it is relevant.

I was fixing up an old Akai consumer reel to reel. The model dates from the sixties, and the amp is all valve. I found a few replacement parts from ebay and it works quite well and I thought at least it might make for a cool looking 'dock' since it had speakers. The tape response is quite bad for the low end.

Anyhow I plugged an ipod into it, and through headphones I was astonished at the amps quality. In fact I was sure I was making a mistake - monitoring the ipod, not the amp output. Somehow through this ancient simple amp, the music seams to sort of 'expand'. The ipod seams narrow and compressed in comparison. It is a night and day thing, it is adding rich sheen to the cheap consumer output - playing MP3's - and making it sound much better.

I have tried all kinds of 'valve' plug ins, but none of them really open up the sound like this. So really despite all these fancy emulations, nothing seams to nail the consumer valve amp from the 60's sound, which if I had as a plug in would give me all the '3D' I could ever want !
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search