The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which plugin does the best job of creating that magic 3D depth that hardware imparts?
Old 1st December 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
True Iron users - you need to check out Kush TWK. Saturation into compression into clipping. It's a beast.
Old 2nd December 2019
Gear Maniac

Anybody here checked out Acustica Audio plugins for "3D" affect? If so, which ones are best for that?
Old 2nd December 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barncore View Post
Anybody here checked out Acustica Audio plugins for "3D" affect? If so, which ones are best for that?
I'm pretty sure there's a bunch of posts early in this thread about that.
Old 2nd December 2019
Gear Guru
Quote:
I just got Gold, Diamond and Taupe on sale. I had avoided AA because was always a science project but Aquarius works well. I'm sold on the 3-Dness which is clarity. The huge drawback is cpu.... They are very hungry and I'm freezing and working around that.

Diamond= Polish
Gold= Mojo
Taupe+ Glue

Hope this helps! BTW I'm a huge fan of good algo like Kush, Soundtoys, etc. There really aren't any wrong answers.....
Old 3rd December 2019
Deleted f6fc2a4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTone View Post
I'm pretty sure there's a bunch of posts early in this thread about that.
Yes there are plenty, but the OP does not seem to read his own thread.

Or maybe he just wants to reinforce the intended message of the thread.
Old 3rd December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
True Iron users - you need to check out Kush TWK. Saturation into compression into clipping. It's a beast.
Yeah, The two different Kush Omega plugins are one of the other few amazing Transformer saturation emulations out there, for sure. Not as flexible as True Iron, but certainly have their own distinct color.
Old 3rd December 2019
Lives for gear

Another little-known secret is that the Softube Tilt plugin actually models the Transformer stages of the original hardware unit of the Tonelux MP1a mic preamp, so you can push that plugin simply for the transformer stage distortion without having to even utilize the tilt function. It's also fairly realistic, in that it really only generates additional harmonics way down in the spectrum, closer to the fundamental.

I think this might be an issue for some people expecting saturation with tube/tape-like harmonic characteristics; Transformers don't have the same level of added harmonics higher up in the spectrum the way that tubes or tape induce.
Old 3rd December 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
I know this question is going to annoy analog purists but maybe there are some hybrid guys that have the knowledge to answer this well.

As the title says, I'm looking for some plugin that can attempt to create the magical 3D depth effect that some hardware can do.

Disclaimer: I know i know... no plugin will ever fully replace the magic of hardware. But we can at least try. And i know there is no magic pill that makes you a good mastering engineer. But lets assume we're all adequate enough in the engineering department already.

Sometimes i use Mathew Lane's DrMS plugin to create some subtle crosstalk between the M and S information, but i'm wondering if there are better ideas.

Plugs are around 90% to 92% there. So says the guy who designed Pro Tools and works at UA writing plug code.
Old 3rd December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by consnyc View Post
Yes there are plenty, but the OP does not seem to read his own thread.

Or maybe he just wants to reinforce the intended message of the thread.
I'm sorry that i don't remember what was said in the early pages of a 26 page thread that was created a year ago...

I only just started looking at AA plugs since Black Friday's 70% off sale, i've never considered them before cos they're so pricey, so that's why asked
Old 3rd December 2019
Gear Guru
Quote:
I'm sorry that i don't remember what was said in the early pages of a 26 page thread that was created a year ago...

I only just started looking at AA plugs since Black Friday's 70% off sale, i've never considered them before cos they're so pricey, so that's why asked
I've been having success with Aquarius. Easy to load and smooth setup. The sale has made them affordable. Honestly they can replace a lot of plug ins I was ganging up to get a sound. Making me rethink my workflow FWIW....
Old 3rd December 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
True Iron, Kush Omega A, N, TWK and Acustica's free Baxter could probably give you poor man's SB.
Old 3rd December 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
Another little-known secret is that the Softube Tilt plugin actually models the Transformer stages of the original hardware unit of the Tonelux MP1a mic preamp, so you can push that plugin simply for the transformer stage distortion without having to even utilize the tilt function. It's also fairly realistic, in that it really only generates additional harmonics way down in the spectrum, closer to the fundamental.

I think this might be an issue for some people expecting saturation with tube/tape-like harmonic characteristics; Transformers don't have the same level of added harmonics higher up in the spectrum the way that tubes or tape induce.
Two questions:
Are the differences between this and the TX240/260 amps obvious?
Do they model any output transformers within the Tilt EQ?

Thanks!
Old 4th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoFi View Post
Two questions:
Are the differences between this and the TX240/260 amps obvious?
Do they model any output transformers within the Tilt EQ?

Thanks!
I think the tonelux units that have the TX op-amps also utilize an output transformer, but I have no experience with them so I can't honestly say.

The tilt EQ does model the original output transformer, yes.
Old 6th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
For mastering? True Iron any day. Kush TWK is too drastic IMHO.
Old 6th December 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot View Post
For mastering? True Iron any day. Kush TWK is too drastic IMHO.
Ah yes, I was talking in the context of mixing. Should have stated that, cheers.
Old 7th December 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
which Virtual Reality environment is as good as Actual Reality?

might as well be the OP.

Virtual Reality can be more interesting and entertaining, until you have a really amazing Actual Reality Experience!

like sex, or wading across a cold mountain stream, or riding the roller coaster at the theme park.

can i trademark that? A.R.E. ....Actual Reality Experience.

e.g. I’ve compared the sound of my Ampex ATR-102 tape machine to the UAD emulation plugin.

The Emulation is great, very consistent & predictable, with many parameters & variations easily accessible.

-and- it’s done without adding tape noise, 60Hz hum, etc.

It’s a great convenient thing, i use it occasionally & like it, But(!)

The actual hardware Ampex tape machine with the same settings, printing to real 1/2” tape sounds better, more magical, with a vibe all it’s own.

assuming the machine is setup, aligned & properly calibrated and maintained.

actual electrons and magnetic domains, with small random irregularities and.... Noise.

the price difference is quite significant, and running a big tape machine is quite the Actual Reality Experience.

just sayin’

JT
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear