The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Parallel processing chains Dynamics Plugins
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTone View Post
I've heard from Mick re modding the SIPP to have both functions available at the same time. His exact words were "it would probably be cheaper to buy 2 SIPP’s!!!"
Of course he did!

But yes, from the other options I've seen they appear to me more than twice as much.

SPL have a M/S unit that I think has parallel blending. I remember reading somewhere that people didn't like it's sound. My limited knowledge is that M/S requires circuitry that will affect/impart a sound due to make up gain. Also something worth considering. Digital obviously doesn't have this issue.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Anyone else using a Dangerous Liaison? I can get a good price on one locally but can't test it first.
@macc how do you feel about the overall sound and workflow, also the feel of the blend pot? Really wish it had two inputs.

Manley Backbone - forgot this also can do a parallel blend. The disadvantage here is that is has a single dedicated XLR I/O for the blend insert, while Liaison lets you assign any insert (and up to 3 at a time) to the blend bus. It's also more than double the price of the Dangerous. It does have more inserts and inputs though as well as gain trims. The M/S matrix is reserved for specific inserts and not available for the blend insert.

Crookwood would be able to do a custom insert router and M/S matrix too. Can't recall if their blend bus can be MS matrixed too but I do recall them being very flexible. I'm a fan of their control pod too.

Anyone had success parallel mixing multiple prints? I'll try this again to see how some Varis and Michelangelo sound sprinkled in.
Old 1 week ago
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Just a quick drop in to say that the Backbone has been (sadly) long discontinued. The parallel send location can be changed by the user in 5 minutes via an internal jumper. Yes the Liason is more flexible in this regard.

p.s. you already mentioned Crookwood maybe you could also take a look at Jeffrey's Consoles (Da Goose here on GS) or Knif (albeit more expensive).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo View Post
Just a quick drop in to say that the Backbone has been (sadly) long discontinued. The parallel send location can be changed by the user in 5 minutes via an internal jumper. Yes the Liason is more flexible in this regard.

Thanks, I am aware. Maybe one will pop up in the used market eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo
p.s. you already mentioned Crookwood maybe you could also take a look at Jeffrey's Consoles (Da Goose here on GS) or Knif (albeit more expensive).
Thanks! A Knif mastering console would be nice but definitely overkill for my needs.

Jeffrey's IM2.1 looks to be his only one with parallel blending. As with the Backbone, there is only a single insert at a fixed position (#3) with blend. I like the idea of trying various things either alone or in combination in the parallel path. Ultimately that may not be necessary but for experimenting it would speed things up a ton. It does have dual ins and outs and the price seems fair though.
Old 1 week ago
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
You could ask him to maybe cutomize a unit.
See what people around here are doing to poor Jakob (Gyraf Audio) asking him all sorts of modifications to his products.

I feel the same if I had to get a new unit for a second room I may ask Jeffreys or look for a second hand Manley. If I am not mistaken TK Audio also does or used to do a blender....
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Elgin View Post
Crookwood would be able to do a custom insert router and M/S matrix too. Can't recall if their blend bus can be MS matrixed too but I do recall them being very flexible. I'm a fan of their control pod too.
The Crookwood M-system is like a modular system, so you can connect the different parts almost however you want them. For example the MS matrix expansion is not patched internally. You choose where to patch it in and out on the back of the rack units.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01010110 View Post
The Crookwood M-system is like a modular system, so you can connect the different parts almost however you want them. For example the MS matrix expansion is not patched internally. You choose where to patch it in and out on the back of the rack units.
Thanks, their website appears to be under construction again but I found an old mirror with info about the R3-7AI which seems most in line with what I'd use. So to do either MS or parallel blending requires a trimmer module. Putting MS coding before and after the parallel path should need 2 and will occupy two insert positions. Looks really flexible for sure.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo View Post
You could ask him to maybe cutomize a unit.
See what people around here are doing to poor Jakob (Gyraf Audio) asking him all sorts of modifications to his products.

I feel the same if I had to get a new unit for a second room I may ask Jeffreys or look for a second hand Manley. If I am not mistaken TK Audio also does or used to do a blender....
Definitely. His IM2.1 looks almost ideal for me, but the parallel experimenting available with a Liaison is really appealing. The TKAudio S-blender 19" unit and stripped-down 500 series versions have been discussed already in the thread.

Do you do any parallel processing in your work? Really hoping to hear more interesting approaches and both success and failure stories.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'll chime into this since the parallel options on the IM2.x series needs some explanation maybe. The stock IM2.1 has blend on insert3 indeed (which could be changed to another position if you want to), with 2 stepped switches, one for dry and one for wet. This is a copy/paste from the manual (saves me some time writing )

Insert 3 (blend):
Insert 3 has an active parallel/blend function. With insert 3 you can blend the dry and wet signal together. Most parallel processing uses one control for blending from wet to dry and uses a potmeter. The IM2.1 uses two separate controls for wet and dry with stepped switches instead of a potmeter. This way you don’t have channel imbalance, easy recall and way better control over what happens to the signal. For instance you can choose to compress the signal and blend in just a bit of dry signal. But you also choose to use the dry signal and blend in a bit of quite aggressive compression. The first steps on the stepped attenuators have 1 dB per step and the last steps have more course steps, the lowest step is -33dB. The off position mutes the wet or dry signal.

It's also possible to have something custom build with 2 of these inserts for instance. But I also have a 'post blend' option, as you can find on the backbone. This is a 9th insert with the dry signal always at 100% and you can blend in a bit of the wet signal (with a potmeter). You can use this for reverb/saturation or things like that. It has XLR's on the back of the unit for that.

There are also other options possible for various kinds of inserts and in/ouputs. An overview on all modules can be found here: IM2.C - Dutch.Audio
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Thanks Jeffrey, the options laid out on your site look great. What are the active gain stages like?

And are you using parallel processing in your own work?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
@macc how do you feel about the overall sound and workflow, also the feel of the blend pot? Really wish it had two inputs.
I've got to say I love the unit. The memory functions get used quite a lot. The blend knob feels great, and while stepped would be good I don't think it's that killer, mainly because you can always use the gain of whatever you're using in the parallel chain.

Full disclosure, mine has a little DC on one channel on the A bus. Should just be an opamp needs switching out (thanks Jeffrey) but tbh I'm so busy using the thing I've never actually got around to sorting that out, ha. It's that integral to my workflow, and the B bus covers pretty much everything, most of the time.

If I didn't have one I'd get a unit from Jeffrey though, they look great.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the info!

Two of my compressors have onboard parallel functionality.

The Handcrafted Labs Islander has separate, switched gain levels for the dry and compressed signals. There's a subtle imprint of tone on the dry signal still since it passes through an amplifier stage. I'm able to get a nice rich harmonic tone from it by bringing in the wet gain with little to no compression registered on the meters.

The BC2ME has a single wet/dry Elma switched blend control. The class A output stage sits after the blend circuit so unfortunately this aspect can't be mixed in with the onboard control. I was surprised with how a small amount (20-25%) of heavily compressed signal blended in to support and emphasize drums on some songs today. Setting slower attack times and release fast-medium based on tempo with 4 or 6:1 ratios worked very well for this. And using the SCHPF determined how much the kick drum was being emphasized. It worked best set at 100Hz - still able to get a desirable kick pump but not choking.

Anybody else found good parallel setups that actually increase punch?

I'd love to hear how the Foote Clip/Sat works as a parallel.
@teebaum - Dan, want to share any experience or ideas about parallels? I believe you run a Michelangelo and a Varis on separate channels, is that right?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Anybody else found good parallel setups that actually increase punch?
Not very sexy, but Kotelnikov with a slow attack will do it.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggs View Post
Not very sexy, but Kotelnikov with a slow attack will do it.
Thanks, I'll experiment with that. Usually I use it 100% wet for stealthy tightening or smoothing or with the frequency-dependent ratio tucking something in.

The Elysia Nvelope in parallel could be interesting on over-compressed or lifeless mixes.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
The Elysia Nvelope in parallel could be interesting on over-compressed or lifeless mixes.
Yes, this works well. The unit has an inherent phase shift that means it either suits material or doesn't (it's 50/50, pretty much). But parallel opens it up as an option where it wasn't before.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
Yes, this works well. The unit has an inherent phase shift that means it either suits material or doesn't (it's 50/50, pretty much). But parallel opens it up as an option where it wasn't before.
Just when I thought my list of potential buys was truly complete... Thankfully the Nvelope and Clip/Sat are both relatively small and cheap.

Yours is modified yes? What was adjusted - smaller gain ranges?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Handcrafted Labs Islander has separate, switched gain levels for the dry and compressed signals. There's a subtle imprint of tone on the dry signal still since it passes through an amplifier stage. I'm able to get a nice rich harmonic tone from it by bringing in the wet gain with little to no compression registered on the meters.
Slightly off topic, how often are you using it in comparison to your Varis?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Just when I thought my list of potential buys was truly complete... Thankfully the Nvelope and Clip/Sat are both relatively small and cheap.

Yours is modified yes? What was adjusted - smaller gain ranges?
Yep - I forget exactly, I think it was half for the sustain and a third for the attack, but don't quote me on that.

One thing is for sure, that thing has seen a LOT of use. Try it unlinked if you get one - can be very good indeed when required.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Use parallel multiband compression all the time. How do you bring up low level stuff if you dont?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search