The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your strategy for mastering high & low mid areas ? Equalizer Plugins
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
Your strategy for mastering high & low mid areas ?

Hi GS members,

I would need some help to understand how you treat your masters in the mids?

I usually treat mids in a "substractive" way, cleaning nasals around 1 or 2 khz & around -1 or -2 dB in the "muddy zone" (500 to 800 hz).

But the more I read articles about mastering the more I understand how crucials are the mids zone. Do you sometimes add some dBs in mids? What are the main purposes?

I'm conscious that vocals sometimes need much presence. In this case I'm very afraid of enhancing others elements such as guitars or piano by adding dBs in those areas. Do you have any tricks/techniques to share please?

Any help or advices would be much appreciated !
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The strategy always involves listening. Normally this kind of issue jumps out at you like a sore thumb, it takes seconds. The best remedy typically longer.

In short it can literally be anything, what it needs (after having created the environment to know) and is it better than before or not ?

In some instances you try something, eq cut/boost etc. etc. and back it off or remove it to determine the fine balance between an improvement of an awkward source with relatively little sacrifice to the whole or not. If you have an awkward source in a mix, you can try your best to isolate or take a holistic approach to it.. and normally try both to see what is the least damaging overall whilst trying to rectify a perceived issue. i.e. is cutting nasality in a vocal better in relative isolation (Mid channel dynamic eq) or across the mix as a stereo static cut ? As one simple example. Or does it sound better 200Hz up or down from where you started.

It is totally dependent on the mix and your accurate perception of it as to what the best approach is to what you are listening to.

Be sure of your monitoring and trust it to guide your decisions.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SASMastering View Post
The strategy always involves listening. Normally this kind of issue jumps out at you like a sore thumb, it takes seconds. The best remedy typically longer.

It is totally dependent on the mix and your accurate perception of it as to what the best approach is to what you are listening to.

Be sure of your monitoring and trust it to guide your decisions.
Thanks Barry ! Very instructive indeed.

So the approach is not so technical. It's more about "the lesser evil" when it comes to Eqing mids. If I follow you correctly then I need to experiment & have an "empirical" approach?

Coming back to technicals things about mids do you treat it with mid/side controls (digital EQ such as Weiss, Equilibrium etc..), dips (meaning Pultec MEQ)? What do you prefer in terms of EQ for treating/coloring mids? Once again tricks are welcome !!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoldorodeo View Post
Do you sometimes add some dBs in mids? What are the main purposes?
To defeat smiley curves. :-)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoldorodeo View Post
Thanks Barry ! Very instructive indeed.

So the approach is not so technical. It's more about "the lesser evil" when it comes to Eqing mids. If I follow you correctly then I need to experiment & have an "empirical" approach?

Coming back to technicals things about mids do you treat it with mid/side controls (digital EQ such as Weiss, Equilibrium etc..), dips (meaning Pultec MEQ)? What do you prefer in terms of EQ for treating/coloring mids? Once again tricks are welcome !!
It is technical but all technicalities happen within the scope of listening in accuracy. And potentially not only a lesser evil, if you get a lucky mix, any chosen remedial action can improve more than just that which you are trying to correct. But it all depends on what the mix is and a mix is pretty much an infinitely complex possibility.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search