The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mastering plug-in market narrow? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Mastering plug-in market narrow?

Checking replies in this forum, seems like the same plug-ins are suggested all the time. Its not like that on other forums in GS or out (kvr etc.) involving mastering.

2-3 eq's, 2-3 deessers, hardly non-mb compressors...clippers and limiters seems to have the most variety. Suggested plug-ins aren't brand new either.

So is the filtering very strong (considering member % being pro. is higher than average forums) or are the options really that limited?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooker View Post
Checking replies in this forum, seems like the same plug-ins are suggested all the time. Its not like that on other forums in GS or out (kvr etc.) involving mastering.

2-3 eq's, 2-3 deessers, hardly non-mb compressors...clippers and limiters seems to have the most variety. Suggested plug-ins aren't brand new either.

So is the filtering very strong (considering member % being pro. is higher than average forums) or are the options really that limited?
truth is, for really high level pro mastering there aren't that many plugs that make the cut. so after the initial inevitable gearslutz hoopla with any new product that comes out "oh my God, this is the best I've heard" ... in the long run, yeah, that sounds about right - 2-3 EQs, 1-2 de-essers, maybe 1 or 2 comps and a number of limiters.

C.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

There are plenty of plugins on the market that are used in mastering.

Slate Digital
Tons of EQs, Virtual Mix Bus Compressors, Mastering Limiter, Virtual Tape Machine

Waves
Tons of EQs, Compressors, Limiters, and a Tape Machine or two, plus the new Abbey Road mastering chain

Izotope
Just released Ozone 8 which has one or two of everything you need

Fabfilter
One of everything that you need, EQs, MB, Compressor, Limiter, Saturator, De-esser

IK Multimedia
Never used it but they released T-RACKS 5 which seems to have everything you need

Softube
They released Weiss plugins lately for some compression, de-essing, EQ, limiting if I'm not mistaken

Tokyo Dawn Records
EQs, compessors, limiters, multibands galore

Eventide
They released an EQ and a Limiter lately

Universal Audio
Tons and tons of stuff from Sonnox, Brainworx, and Manley

I'd imagine there are still 5-10 companies out there that have a few items that are used very often. It almost seems like there are too many options.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

31 companies listed in my choice of plug-ins used here in mastering, FWIW.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I have no idea of the actual numbers, but just like hardware, plug-ins aren't changed like socks in these circles.

To get the best out of the tools at hand, one needs to know them throughly. Thus, new plug-ins don't add up the list that fast. I like to think that often, things that make you go "this is the best thing ever and I'm using in on everything" is somehow flawed and at some point you might grow out of it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Ridley View Post
Yeah but I'm more like (trying to) questioning in a pro context. Checking replies from guys who have a signature link to real-deal mastering studio.

For example you almost never read an ik multimedia plug-in, waves (aside the L2), brainworx, Slate, Softube (only recently weiss) in this forum. Spitfish (a 15 year old plug-in) still get more mentioning. I can't remember any DMG plug-in mentioned for mixing use on other forums, but here its in almost every topic.

Another thing to note is when you look at the hardware setup of these guys, (though there are some brands/models which are sort of industry standard) the variety is much bigger.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I use the Waves Abbey Road Mastering Chain, it's probably the best colour all in one mastering thing I've used.

I also use the API2500 because I occasionally miss the hardware control of over spikey stuff.

Waves make a lot of plugins, a lot of them are very odd, only a few are mastering suitable in any way.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I think the main difference is the marketing !

DMG, TDR, Sonoris, Leapwing etc... Those brands don’t try to fool you with big announcements, adds, deals and endorsement. They release good tools to do what have to be done. Mastering engineers are not the right target to sell dreams and wind ! That’s why those brands are appreciated by the pro.

Last edited by Benoit D; 3 weeks ago at 08:55 AM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search