The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cranesong Stc 8 vs Dangerous Music Compressor
Old 17th November 2018
  #1
Lives for gear
Cranesong Stc 8 vs Dangerous Music Compressor

In market for Transparent compressor before my Manley Variable Mu. Both compressors are considered to be Transparent. So whats the difference?
Old 17th November 2018
  #2
Lives for gear
Anyone please.
Old 17th November 2018
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Justin P.'s Avatar
 

I have a Dangerous Comp and Vari Mu. The Dangerous isn't bad but if it disappeared tomorrow I'm not 100% sure I'd replace it.

I actually just ordered a pair of Dave Hill Titans for when the Vari Mu is too slow and colored, but the Dangerous is too clean.

That's all I know. I haven't ever used the STC. I'm hoping the Titans arrive next month but Crane Song is very backed up now.
Old 18th November 2018
  #4
Gear Maniac
 
DBarbarulo's Avatar
I have the STC8 for sale because is too much transparent. ;-)
Old 18th November 2018
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Giuseppe Zaccaria's Avatar
 

DM21 is very trasparent and rools off bass a bit with a light sheen on top. STC8 is also very transparent but much more flexible coz has diffent selectable vibes of choice, but doesn't have internal SCF so you will need an external device to reduce pumping
Old 18th November 2018
  #6
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Zaccaria View Post
DM21 is very trasparent and rools off bass a bit with a light sheen on top. STC8 is also very transparent but much more flexible coz has diffent selectable vibes of choice, but doesn't have internal SCF so you will need an external device to reduce pumping
Very helpful. Do you have any idea of 2 Titans Vs Cranesong Stc?
Old 18th November 2018
  #7
Lives for gear
 
octatonic's Avatar
I have the STC8- it has very little colour, even the coloured setting (Ki) is fairly transparent.

It does its job very, very well though.
Old 18th November 2018
  #8
Lives for gear
 
matucha's Avatar
A pair of Trakkers > Manley VariMu here. I found that i like trakkers in Opto Air C mode most of the time and rarely use it in different mode really. I like them mostly on rock and electronic when it benefits from locking the groove (gently pump with the beat). It's not really snappy kind of compressor, more of a gentle but powerful one. They are in bypass at least 65% of the time though. It's because the boxtone they have, while quite transparent is not that beneficial many times.

I don't like to compress more than ~1dB in mastering, it's mostly far less than that. Maybe someone who likes more compression would feel differently about them.

API 2500 ?
Foote ?
Vertigo ?
Old 19th November 2018
  #9
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin P. View Post
I have a Dangerous Comp and Vari Mu. The Dangerous isn't bad but if it disappeared tomorrow I'm not 100% sure I'd replace it.

I actually just ordered a pair of Dave Hill Titans for when the Vari Mu is too slow and colored, but the Dangerous is too clean.

That's all I know. I haven't ever used the STC. I'm hoping the Titans arrive next month but Crane Song is very backed up now.
Hi. How do Titans reacts to the lows. Is there any low cut fiter on the sidechain of titans? There is even no external sidechain connector on the back.
Old 19th November 2018
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Justin P.'s Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit monga View Post
Hi. How do Titans reacts to the lows. Is there any low cut fiter on the sidechain of titans? There is even no external sidechain connector on the back.
I will know more when they arrive next month or early 2019.

Crane Song is fairly backed up.
Old 19th November 2018
  #11
Out of the two I much prefer the Cranesong STC-8. It's clean but it inparts a little character that is very nice.
Old 19th November 2018
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Zaccaria View Post
STC8 is also very transparent but much more flexible coz has diffent selectable vibes of choice, but doesn't have internal SCF so you will need an external device to reduce pumping
not really: almost regardless of settings, one hardly ever experiences any 'pumping'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBarbarulo View Post
I have the STC8 for sale because is too much transparent. ;-)
how much?
Old 19th November 2018
  #13
Gear Maniac
 
DBarbarulo's Avatar
quite much.
Old 14th January 2019
  #14
Gear Nut
 
Todd Loomis's Avatar
 

Hehe... the STC8 can add a tiny bit of color, but it’s definitely not a color piece. For dynamic control though, the thing is absolutely incredible... it does things I have never heard another compressor do. It’s pretty spectacular. I use it for mastering work, and it’s amazing.

It could do amazing work in other ways too though. I just received mine recently, so I haven’t had a chance to try it on vocals, but I bet it would be amazing on them. For color though, yeah, you may want to consider some other things. That’s the fun thing about all of the tools we buy though - each one has its own way of handling things and it’s own purposes!
Old 15th January 2019
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Sknote Lesso its nice option if u want transparent
Old 15th January 2019
  #16
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Loomis View Post
Hehe... the STC8 can add a tiny bit of color, but it’s definitely not a color piece. For dynamic control though, the thing is absolutely incredible... it does things I have never heard another compressor do. It’s pretty spectacular. I use it for mastering work, and it’s amazing.

It could do amazing work in other ways too though. I just received mine recently, so I haven’t had a chance to try it on vocals, but I bet it would be amazing on them. For color though, yeah, you may want to consider some other things. That’s the fun thing about all of the tools we buy though - each one has its own way of handling things and it’s own purposes!
This is true it have amazing compression curves I couldn't replicate it with anything.
Old 19th January 2019
  #17
The Vertigo is superior IMO.
Old 25th April 2019
  #18
Lives for gear
In what way is the Vertigo superior to the STC-8?
Old 25th April 2019
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Justin P.'s Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit monga View Post
Is there any low cut fiter on the sidechain of titans? There is even no external sidechain connector on the back.
I've had the Titans for a month or so and they are great. They are not leaving my studio, but also the Dangerous and VariMu are staying too.

I haven't tried them yet, but these special link cables arrived today from Dave Hill. It allows you to insert your own side-chain to the Titans because they do not have a native HPF or external side chain on the back.
Attached Thumbnails
Cranesong Stc 8 vs Dangerous Music Compressor-img_1187.jpg  

Last edited by Justin P.; 25th April 2019 at 09:13 PM..
Old 4th May 2019
  #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin P. View Post
I've had the Titans for a month or so and they are great. They are not leaving my studio, but also the Dangerous and VariMu are staying too.

I haven't tried them yet, but these special link cables arrived today from Dave Hill. It allows you to insert your own side-chain to the Titans because they do not have a native HPF or external side chain on the back.
I really liked the Titan's when I first tried them, but for mastering I think the sidechain is a must, in my opinion. There is also something about the makeup gain in Dave Hill's gear that is superior to other gear I've used. Sometimes I just use the Titan's to bring up the gain without any compression into my A/D. The only thing I haven't found useful yet is the Fat and Air settings, they're just too heavy handed in my opinion. I wish there was a way that he could have made it variable...
Old 4th May 2019
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Justin P.'s Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by engmix View Post
I really liked the Titan's when I first tried them, but for mastering I think the sidechain is a must, in my opinion. There is also something about the makeup gain in Dave Hill's gear that is superior to other gear I've used. Sometimes I just use the Titan's to bring up the gain without any compression into my A/D. The only thing I haven't found useful yet is the Fat and Air settings, they're just too heavy handed in my opinion. I wish there was a way that he could have made it variable...
Yes, indeed. I actually use very little compression in mastering, it's all about the clean gain to feed back into the A/D and the Titans are great for that.

So far I haven't removed the HPF side chain now that I have the cable. I'm just using some simple Shure barrel HPF that roll off gently around 100Hz.

The Fat and Air options are pretty heavy handed but every now and then they work for a track that is very anemic or very dull. Usually that is already fixed with EQ before I engage any of my compressor options but now and then, Fat or Air will make it on to a track.
Old 5th May 2019
  #22
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin P. View Post
Yes, indeed. I actually use very little compression in mastering, it's all about the clean gain to feed back into the A/D and the Titans are great for that.

So far I haven't removed the HPF side chain now that I have the cable. I'm just using some simple Shure barrel HPF that roll off gently around 100Hz.

The Fat and Air options are pretty heavy handed but every now and then they work for a track that is very anemic or very dull. Usually that is already fixed with EQ before I engage any of my compressor options but now and then, Fat or Air will make it on to a track.
What compressor would you recommend for versatility and multi-purposes (including mastering) - the STC-8 or Titan?
Old 5th May 2019
  #23
Gear Maniac
 
valeot's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Zaccaria View Post
DM21 is very trasparent and rools off bass a bit with a light sheen on top. STC8 is also very transparent but much more flexible coz has diffent selectable vibes of choice, but doesn't have internal SCF so you will need an external device to reduce pumping

my unit doesn't roll off bass at all, adds only a slight mid push, especially if you push the gain a bit. a very transparent and modern sounding compressor for great money.

nice add, it sounds quite different in the non "smart dyn" mode, I prefer having it on, but in the end you get two compressors, so plenty of place to play.
Old 5th May 2019
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Justin P.'s Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldie wave View Post
What compressor would you recommend for versatility and multi-purposes (including mastering) - the STC-8 or Titan?
I've only used the Titans so I can't really say.
Old 5th May 2019
  #25
Lives for gear
 
mastermat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldie wave View Post
What compressor would you recommend for versatility and multi-purposes (including mastering) - the STC-8 or Titan?
def. the STC8 (with sidechain cable)!

I used both and really, they are different beasts but for versatility I prefer the STC8 although that might be because I am used to and have more experience with it!
Old 6th May 2019
  #26
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermat View Post
def. the STC8 (with sidechain cable)!

I used both and really, they are different beasts but for versatility I prefer the STC8 although that might be because I am used to and have more experience with it!
Thanks for that. I appreciate your reply as you have experience with both units and I have no experience with either unit (aside from reading about the units and watching videos). I have had my eye on a STC-8 for a few months now but it has no side chain cable. Where do you get the side chain cable from? What do you recommend?
Old 6th May 2019
  #27
Lives for gear
 
octatonic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldie wave View Post
Thanks for that. I appreciate your reply as you have experience with both units and I have no experience with either unit (aside from reading about the units and watching videos). I have had my eye on a STC-8 for a few months now but it has no side chain cable. Where do you get the side chain cable from? What do you recommend?
Just make one up- it is a DB15 connector with the pinout on p14 of the manual.
It is easy to make.
Old 6th May 2019
  #28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin P. View Post
So far I haven't removed the HPF side chain now that I have the cable. I'm just using some simple Shure barrel HPF that roll off gently around 100Hz.
Are you using the Shure A15HP? The Shure web site states that the A15HP is designed for mic level only.
(https://www.shure.com/en-US/support/...gh-pass-filter)

Have you had any issues using them with the Titan (line live input, IIRC)?
Old 6th May 2019
  #29
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldie wave View Post
Thanks for that. I appreciate your reply as you have experience with both units and I have no experience with either unit (aside from reading about the units and watching videos). I have had my eye on a STC-8 for a few months now but it has no side chain cable. Where do you get the side chain cable from? What do you recommend?
STC highly recommended with the sidechain cable. I have got the cable custom build for me with the on off switch.
Old 6th May 2019
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Justin P.'s Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildplum View Post
Are you using the Shure A15HP? The Shure web site states that the A15HP is designed for mic level only.
(https://www.shure.com/en-US/support/...gh-pass-filter)

Have you had any issues using them with the Titan (line live input, IIRC)?
Good catch. So far I haven't detected a problem using them at line level. I'll have to rig up a way to try and monitor the signal post HPF and see if anything is weird.

I can't seem to find an off the shelf XLR barrel HPF that is listed as line level specifically. Let me know if you find one.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Glenn Bucci / Mastering Forum
30
The Press Desk / Product Alerts older than 2 months
65
electroshift / So Much Gear, So Little Time
0
jondoe1972 / High End
2

Forum Jump
Forum Jump