The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Who is having a manager?
Old 13th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Who is having a manager?

Who in the mastering business around here, is using the service of a manager ?

Is this a USA thing or not?

Thank you.
Old 13th November 2018
Following
Old 13th November 2018
Gear Addict

Verified Member
I don't have a manager in the sense of artist management, although I did back in my mixer/producer days.
I do however have an amazing full time employee who's job is scheduling, billing, sending clients the links that I upload, and generally doing anything required to interface with client needs. She is also invaluable as a springboard whenever I wanna brainstorm about a business idea or strategy. She does all this remote to my location because Google calendar and online commerce makes it easy. The only thing I do is the actual mastering work and occasionally talk with clients that want a conversation directly pertaining to the work I'm doing or the occasional attended session, although I expect to have more attended when my new room is completed next year.
I'm extremely lucky to have her because she's an experienced mastering project manager (10 years at Sterling and several years at Masterdisk prior), a huge music person, and an endless source of laughs about just about any aspect of life and the sometimes crazy music business. I tried dealing with everything quite a while back and I did a terrible job
My largest expense, but the absolute best allocation of my overhead budget.

Dave
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Hey, Dave thank you for this. Your experience is a gold mine.

So when you say that she is a Mastering Project Manager, (Her experience spoke for her), does she develop your business and promote , catch some new clients ....,
Maybe I'm asking to much.

I'm actually working more and more, since my company upgraded. I do all by myself and I do not think I need an assistant, better to have somebody who is ahead of me, dealing with clients, mailing....What I think.
Old 4 weeks ago
I doubt that any managers are getting mastering engineers new clients; as far as I can tell that's rare even for producer managers, and an artist's choice of producer is much more important than their choice of mastering engineer.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My wife is taking care of all the bookkeeping, insurances, taxwork, invoicing and things like that. I don't just have a mastering-studio, but I also run the Home - Dutch.Audio company together with her. My wife takes care of a lot of things there as well, also the brainstorming thing even though she technically doesn't understand what the equipment does.

For the mastering related things, it really helps me focus on my actual work that she takes care of the invoicing and things. keeps things seperated.

If she's my manager? you decide.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Verified Member
I doubt that in less you are one of the top 10 mastering engineers in the world you can afford to pay a "manager". FWIW
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Yes! my wife Diane has managed Terra Nova since the very beginning,
handling the scheduling and public relations,
and does a marvelous job of it.
phone calls, emails, snail mail etc.
she likes old school methods, phone calls, hand written calendar, notes & schedules,
but has learned to do emails & online promo & mailchimps.
she has the gift of the gab galore, a natural telephone person,
loves talking to people and securing a booking for either Nick or myself.
and she’s great at collecting funds and fees for the sessions asap.
and she makes some kick-ass brownies and cookies for client consumption,
and keeps the whole facility running like clockwork.
clients tell me that they know within a few seconds that they’ve called the right place when they talk to her.
due to the demanding schedules,
she volunteered for the job back when we started, and said “if i dont do this, i’ll never see you again!”
if we had been in any other business than music, we’d probably be billionaires by now :~}>

best, JT

p.s. and she’s one of those sassy Houston girls, you don’t wanna cross her!
Attached Thumbnails
Who is having a manager?-30704253-cf4f-4a22-aa04-8d37b6c199e3.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb View Post
Yes! my wife Diane has managed Terra Nova since the very beginning,
handling the scheduling and public relations,
and does a marvelous job of it.
phone calls, emails, snail mail etc.
she likes old school methods, phone calls, hand written calendar, notes & schedules,
but has learned to do emails & online promo & mailchimps.
she has the gift of the gab galore, a natural telephone person,
loves talking to people and securing a booking for either Nick or myself.
and she’s great at collecting funds and fees for the sessions asap.
and she makes some kick-ass brownies and cookies for client consumption,
and keeps the whole facility running like clockwork.
clients tell me that they know within a few seconds that they’ve called the right place when they talk to her.
due to the demanding schedules,
she volunteered for the job back when we started, and said “if i dont do this, i’ll never see you again!”
if we had been in any other business than music, we’d probably be billionaires by now :~}>

best, JT

p.s. and she’s one of those sassy Houston girls, you don’t wanna cross her!
That's a lovely tribute Jerry. Sounds like you're a great team.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search