The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Equitech Issues
Old 1 week ago
Equitech Issues

We just installed a (giant) Equitech 7.5WQ (70 amp output) to replace our smaller Equitech unit. When we turned the 7.5WQ on to compare the noise floor, we found that we are now getting radio in the signal and the noise floor is about 2 dB higher than with the smaller unit. Any clues? Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
Bump...

Is RFI generally A grounding issue? Anyone else experienced this? Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by burns46824 View Post
Bump...

Is RFI generally A grounding issue? Anyone else experienced this? Thanks.
Reposted from Dave Collins. Some very important information.

(Neil Muncy, cited frequently in this paper, was a mentor and friend. Bill Whitlock is not a great fan of balanced power, but I am: our tech power is fed by a 10kVA Equitek panel.)

https://centralindianaaes.files.word...jYQ4NSWlQPKvKQ
Old 6 days ago
Motown legend

Verified Member
I remember one time needing to have the power transformer on the pole replaced in order to get rid of the RFI.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I would start with making sure all grounds are correct and tight/clean..
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Only grammar gripe from the paper is about the use of the word, 'current'. I learned this from some online grammarian/electrician's posted rant and now can't forget it. Current doesn't really flow. Current is flow. So, it's sufficient to say that something causes a direct or alternating current. It's redundant to say that something causes a current to flow. What flows in a conductor is charge. Either you're talking about the electrons that flow from, say, the ground to a node of higher electrical potential (where electrons are 'missing' from the valence shells of the conductive material's atoms), or you're talking about conventional charge flow where 'electron holes' (the lacunae of valence shell electrons) flow from a node of higher electrical potential to lower

Fwiw, I've audibly attenuated radio reception on home audio interconnects by clamping on ferrite beads.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_mask View Post
Fwiw, I've audibly attenuated radio reception on home audio interconnects by clamping on ferrite beads.
The main problem IMHO is the gear was NOT designed properly in the first place..

Last edited by nosebleedaudio; 6 days ago at 03:44 PM..
Old 6 days ago
Motown legend

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosebleedaudio View Post
The main problem IMHO is the gear was NOT designed properly in the first place..
Sad to say, that's true of most gear.
Old 3 days ago
Thank you so much for the responses. Turns out the issue (RFI) only presented itself when we sent the console output through the patchbay...so the patchy was the RFI culprit. Thankfully, we don't have any other RFI issues with the patchbay...only when the mix output was running through it. So strange. We are just direct patching now.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search