The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Metering levels for mastering Modular Synthesizers
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Metering levels for mastering

Howdy gang..

Does anyone have a good link for an article or page that goes into what to aim for when monitoring dynamic range, rms, peaks etc when doing or referencing a master?

Ive been reading some things online, but so far i havent found anything that tells me what weighting to monitor, and what i should be aiming for.. Bit confused..

Thanks!
dave
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Something here...
4 Essential Mastering Levels Tips | Waves

I use reference tracks, but choose carefully. I like Ray Lamontagne stuff, something like Elvis, King of America pr Paul Simon Graceland. Some tracks I've tried instantly peg my Matrix2 meters with the fader at 0. Useless, and you can clearly hear the distortion and clipping, even when you pull the fader back or attenuate the track within PT. Way loud, and way competitive in todays market, but not for me.

Regarding dynamic range, you make it what you want it. Create "timeline cement blocks" if you want, or leave in tons of dynamics and transients at the cost of average volume. Remember, if your leaving dynamics and transients, and you don't exceed -0.1dB or -0.3dB, those peak dynamics are going to determine your average volume by being the elements that cannot exceed -0.3dB

I don't know if there are actual bench-markable, quantitative standards beyond, "Keep it below 0, watch the gain staging, know your system and use your ears."

That said, I ain't no mastering engineer.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Something here...
4 Essential Mastering Levels Tips | Waves

I use reference tracks, but choose carefully. I like Ray Lamontagne stuff, something like Elvis, King of America pr Paul Simon Graceland. Some tracks I've tried instantly peg my Matrix2 meters with the fader at 0. Useless, and you can clearly hear the distortion and clipping, even when you pull the fader back or attenuate the track within PT. Way loud, and way competitive in todays market, but not for me.

Regarding dynamic range, you make it what you want it. Create "timeline cement blocks" if you want, or leave in tons of dynamics and transients at the cost of average volume. Remember, if your leaving dynamics and transients, and you don't exceed -0.1dB or -0.3dB, those peak dynamics are going to determine your average volume by being the elements that cannot exceed -0.3dB

I don't know if there are actual bench-markable, quantitative standards beyond, "Keep it below 0, watch the gain staging, know your system and use your ears."

That said, I ain't no mastering engineer.

Thanks for that!

I guess the main thing I’m looking for is what seems to be standard these day with dynamic range.. I know each song is different, and going by taste is how I’ve done it so far, but I’m interested in what you guys are aiming for, and what weighting you are going by..

I’ve always sent my mixes off for mastering, and will continue to do so.. this is more about the odd occasion where I have to do a temp master for whatever reason.

I’ll go and listen to a bunch of tunes whilst looking at the meter, that will no doubt tell me a lot too..

Thanks again.

Cheers
Dave
Old 1 week ago
Have a look at this

Mixing and Mastering Using LUFS | Mastering The Mix

Their plugin is superb and they tend to
Explain things very well in their blog
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbirdstudio View Post
Howdy gang..

Does anyone have a good link for an article or page that goes into what to aim for when monitoring dynamic range, rms, peaks etc when doing or referencing a master?

Ive been reading some things online, but so far i havent found anything that tells me what weighting to monitor, and what i should be aiming for.. Bit confused..

Thanks!
dave
I use Bob Katz's "Honor Roll" for reference. It's also a pretty awesome collection of songs.

Honor Roll - Digido.com
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
I use Bob Katz's "Honor Roll" for reference. It's also a pretty awesome collection of songs.

Honor Roll - Digido.com
Nice. Looks like good stuff.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

There are a handful of different ways to do it. MeterPlugs Dynameter is pretty cool for just for crest factor.

Generally, though, what I've done is found a couple meters with ballistics that I like, run my references through them to kind of get used to how they're "supposed to" behave for different styles, and use those plus my ears. I got kinda lucky, though, that Wavelab's loudness meter works pretty well for me. I just set it's visualizations to give a "range" that I tend to like. I also pretty much ignore peak level. It's not really all that relevant and taken care of by the last limiter's ceiling. I also do look at the offline values from RX or Reaper (it's a SWS extension) after the fact basically as a sanity check.

I think that works better than any meter-only solution.

I am seriously considering the newer TC Electronic Clarity M Stereo whenever that actually becomes available. It seems like it'll show everything I actually want to see in real time in a way I think I'll like.

I tried to demo their plugin-only version, but the website kept giving errors instead of letting me download it.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Hey all!

Just chiming in with an interesting info. For all of those here, younger generation or not, who haven't had a chance to stumble upon this, read this book. If nothing, for sake of the profession. And more...

Bob Katz, Mastering Audio: The Art and the Science

There's been three editions so far if I'm not mistaken. It is a very good source of information and knowledge.

I know I did not invent hot water here but still...

There is a lot, A LOT, of chatter on this Forum and it's subforums where reading carefully is observed how many different and misleading information floats around. I know this is not happening intentionally. It is just the way of the world. He says, she says... And after a while nobody knows true facts anymore. This is normal for hyped production of free information. The internet.

The more gear out there, more available influences, more everything actually - lesser the quality of end product is. Talking audio here or any profession for that matter.

I didn't want to ruin anyone's day with this but in my opinion, that is the real nature of things.

Best to all and keep on making great music!

Krešo
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search