The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mastering studios using fake refences. Common practise? Mastering Console
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Mastering studios using fake refences. Common practice?

Just stumbled upon this website:

{removed}

I was impressed by his references {Robbie Williams, Tina Turner, Radiohead... } but was missing some studio-pics.

Looking at discogs.com you will discover the truth. "Over 1.000 productions" turn into "far below 100".

Are the people in this "industry" really that sick?

Last edited by echoRausch; 6 days ago at 09:08 AM.. Reason: i was wrong
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

A screenshot... {removed}

Last edited by echoRausch; 6 days ago at 09:09 AM..
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoRausch View Post
A screenshot...
Vermutlich ein Titanic -Redakteur
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

This Happens.... Maybe it is his credits and he did them...
Discogs is not the truth about credits, and is not made for credits. It's a record store, only...

I got bashed from it because I did not understand it, that way first. I went on it and I start changing the credits on the projects I did and the one I did not, to make them point to my studio page and name on Discogs... I have had a mass edit warning message and a lot of people not happy...
What's on a page on discogs has to be exactly what is written on the sleeve of a release (CD - LP - EP)... Even for digital downloads which has no sleeve they are crying....

So if the guy has worked in a big Mastering facility and he moved freelance, and the credits are named after the facility : No credits under his name....
So if the guy has the same name as an artist, the credits are going to the artist page.... (I had it. I have had to speak days just to change the picture of this artist page to put mine, because after a vote I have had more credits than him, and my credits were still going on)...
So if Discogs does not allow you to mix names of Studios (XX ; XX Mastering ; XX Studio ; XX Mastering studio), your credits are everywhere in the store....

Lesson learned. Learning by doing. This is why I always ask my clients to credits the project as : Mastered at XX Mastering by Chris.... or in french....

Discogs shows what is written on the sleeve to put a price on records, sorts editions....

Last edited by Chris Chapelle; 5 days ago at 08:46 AM..
Old 6 days ago
I could be wrong but this looks more like a case of "creative promotion" rather than an outright lie. I only recognise four of those records from just a quick glance (Radiohead, Robbie Williams, Tina Turner, Kate Bush); the rest seem to be much lower profile. I think someone attempting outright deception would more likely fill their credits page with "big" records.

My guess is that the ME in question did actually work on the records. In exatcly what capacity, I don't know - maybe he cut the German vinyl pressings/repressings, or assisted in some other way. Either way, as far as I can tell the website doesn't claim that he was the sole mastering engineer who worked on those records, so it seems unfair to publicly call him out like this. Maybe if you emailed him and asked politely he'd tell you exactly what work he did on those albums?

I do know that Discogs is a poor barometer of voume of work. I've probably mastered over 1000 records myself (I honestly don't know exactly how many) and my Discogs profile lists just over 100.

Last edited by Hippocratic Mastering; 5 days ago at 10:31 AM..
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Looking at discogs.com you will discover the truth.
That's a questionable assumption.

Only a fraction of my credits appear on Discogs.

I'd hate for someone to start a public thread about me based on that assumption.

I think you should consider removing or revising this thread.

Best,
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Chapelle View Post
This Happens.... Maybe it is his credits and he did them...
Discogs is not the truth about credits, and is not made for credits. It's a record store, only...
No, not at all. You can look at the questionable albums and will see mastering credits of Abbey Road or Metropolis...

I think this isn't tolerable in any form.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
i just searched discogs for my credits and got 167 results. i've mastered thousands.

and some of those 167 were records i was involved with but DIDN'T master.

so yeah i think you should at least take the guy's studio link out of your post, i'd be very upset if someone started this sort of thread about me, and you would be too.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, not at all. You can look at the questionable albums and will see mastering credits of Abbey Road or Metropolis...

I think this isn't tolerable in any form.
His website says "Produktionen" above the credits he claims. That translates to "production" or "output" in English. Pretty vague. He easily could have done some work on those albums and still not have credits specifically for mastering them on Discogs. This public shaming is unfair.

I wonder what the mods think about this kind of thing...
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
This public shaming is unfair.
especially coming from an anonymous source. i'm sure echoraush is a fine upstanding person but i couldn't find any info on their profile. apologies if i missed it.

if this bothers you that much, write them an email and ask about it.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggs View Post
if this bothers you that much, write them an email and ask about it.
Yes, do that before posting their website on GS!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Yes it's not good to assume that discogs is the source of all facts in audio credits
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Reading the comments I came to the conclusion that it obviously doesn't matter at all.

Maybe he was brewing some coffee for these "productions", maybe he was sharpening pencil tips, who knows. For most of the people here these activities seem to justify to list it as production credits.

Ok. I'll accept it.

I think I'll have to rework my website. Good evening!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Thanks to all you guys not accepting such a bull**** thread here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocratic Mastering View Post

I do know that Discogs is a poor barometer of voume of work. I've probably mastered over 1000 records myself (I honestly don't know exaclty how many) and my Discogs profile lists just over 100.
I just looked and my rate is even much more worse. Im just named there with only 10 records while half of them are even partially wrong...
But getting honest credit is still a big problem for me. Its only the case with maybe 1/10 of all projects at all, and even then people still spelling names wrong very often. So what looking at Discog is telling you then? Nothing, as anybody seem to publish anything there it seems. Or am I wrong?

So, the only way to solve this problem is to put them on your website by your own, but still then some haters will not trust you, it seems...
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
There is a recording studio here in Cleveland. Their "engineers" have a lot of credits with big name artist which they list on their website. The problem is that they say their engineer's worked with all these artist but does not say in what capacity. They could have been FOH engineers, guitar or keyboard techs or "personal assistants". It gives the impression that their engineers "recorded or mastered" all these famous people. It is an advertising gimmick and they have gotten called on it before.

I worked for the local college and worked with a lot of big name artist from Yo Yo Ma to Sonny Rollins and I could legitimately put that I worked with all of these artist (over 300) on my website but I did not do mastering for any of them and either was a technical liaison or FOH engineer and did not master or record any of them I guess it all goes to your individual scruples and or your willingness to tell the"whole" truth.

I am also a veteran and it galls me no end when I see someone masquerading on TV or on a news show as a "hero veteran" when it is proved they are not. FWIW
Old 5 days ago
Disapproving of someone's promotional techniques is one thing, calling them out in public when you haven't even asked them about the extent of their involvement yourself is quite another.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Yep. I always list what type of work I did on each project in my credits and I think that's how it should be done.

But the OP has no idea what work that AE did on those records. SMH...
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Wow! I keep my past dealings with Michael Jackson, Mick Jagger (solo work), Kiss, Steve Tyler, Steve Winwood, Miles Davis, Ray Charles, Queen, etc. at a hush. I think it's rude to brag about this kind of stuff for attention and recognition. Especially if one is only making things up anyway.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

The great takeaway from this discussion is that we can all claim to have worked with each other, here on Gearslutz, by answering each other's questions. That must warrant a fine list of names on our websites!
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Hey, you Slutz!

Anyway, to the OP. I believe that there are many factors. Among them, from the top of my head (regarding the database in question but others as well) I'd say poor computing (coding if you will) as in reading Tags, database txt, caption (however you wanna call those), poorly done readers and compilers before publishing html out (web pages no matter the format) but also level of professionalism. Also, there are so many poorly done files floating around with or without proper Tagging. Or partial if you will.

As more and more people have access to internet and various tools that leads to lower final products quality.

This could also be translated as: if people would pay correctly to professionals included in any workflow then levels would be much higher than they are. Nowadays, with all the technology and information floating around feels like quality is degrading while it should be going the other way.

The other day I was going thru some posts here on GS and there I found one post saying (paraphrasing) like "what gear should I buy in order to do XXXXXXXX like YYYYYYY does it"? Hmmm, well good for poster. Indeed. End result? Hmmmmm also.

Just my thoughts anyway without being negative.

Best,

Krešo

Anyway, just my thoughts.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

what studio is that thomas?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I’ve done over 3000 projects and Discogs has about 30 of them listed.

I don’t put any credit into resources like that.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocratic Mastering View Post

I do know that Discogs is a poor barometer of voume of work. I've probably mastered over 1000 records myself (I honestly don't know exactly how many) and my Discogs profile lists just over 100.
Funny I always have kept track of how many by my invoicing. My invoice number tells me how many projects I’ve mastered. I’m at invoice 3647 right now. Most are whole albums, some are EP’s, in the last year or two many are singles.

I wish I was better at promoting myself or even keeping up with my website and FB page (I thinks it’s been a couple years since I posted on that). I’ve worked with a lot of name guys who don’t show up anywhere on my sites. Many are old friends.

I’ve worked on so many music libraries I couldn’t even begin to list the amount of movies and trailers that these have ended up in. Just about every major motion picture and trailer for the last 20 years. Q Factory, Warner Chappell, APM, Aspect Ratio, Lionsgate, etc... none show up on Discogs!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadracketJames View Post
what studio is that thomas?
Look it up. I believe they still have the list up.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search