The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Final bouncing, conversion and workflow DAW Software
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Final bouncing, conversion and workflow

Hi,

a simple question about the mastering workflow specifically in Pro Tools...but could apply to other daws

How do you manage the files (bounce/fades/dither) when mastering? I mean, do you bounce/record the processing to another track and then do all the fades, cuts and spacing between songs in PT and then export and dither?

or

do you bounce in 24 bits, then convert in another software (let's say Myriad)?

or

just bounce with whatever limiter and dithering you like inserted in the master channel and do all cuts and fades in another DAW like DSP Quattro for instance? If you use this method do you generate the files for streaming here from the CD layout?

My reason for asking is because when bouncing, the file will move forward in time a little bit because of plugins latency so it makes sense to bounce without dither and then do the cuts/fades and after that convert and dither to 16bit, or not?

Sorry if it's a little confusing. I'm trying to find the best workflow and time management without sacrificing resolution when converting.

Old 1 week ago
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
The moving is likely linked to your buffer setting in PT playback engine. If you have an analogue loop/chain record to a new track, trim, fade, consolidte and export your files then do any SRC and dithering within your favourite software. This is what I do when working in PT. I do SRC and dither either within Sonic or Izotope RX.

If working entirely ITB route your souce mix to a bus to input a new track below and record with processing (or two tracks if you want to keep a pre limiting file) then align to compensate if neded, trim, fade and exort.

Hope this helps.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Cool Riccardo, yes that helped!

Thanks for sharing your workflow, will try the Izotope conversion.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

PT can't generate proper masters for prints so you need another software to do that. To me there's no advantage in exit from PT in 16 bits formats. Once finished processing you can leave with 24 bits "intermediate" files. On the authoring software of your preference you now have choice of further editing heads and tails, overall amplitude, codecs etc. and dithering if needed.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

great! That's what I've been thinking of doing, using PT just for processing (cause I'm used to it) and then final steps in another sw.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search