The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ideal Mix Frequency Balance for Techno/House Mastering
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Ideal Mix Frequency Balance for Techno/House Mastering

What is the ideal freq. balance in dance music production so mastering people can actually use their expensive equipment apart from leaving headroom for loudness increase?

For example, I would say that having a mix sound more dull in the high frequency spectrum is probably preferable, so a ME can than give it a boost and sculped it a bit with their M-EQ (which probably sounds better than a plugin).

I am not sure though about the Bass region, is it generally better to leave more bass, so engineers can cut and compress it, or does the same apply here as well (boosting the low end with high end eqs sounds better etc..)?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I don't want mixers to be thinking about me at all during mixing. Just make a mix that best expresses the story and energy of the song. You can be bold and creative and push boundaries knowing there's another set of ears in a highly accurate room to make sure it translates. A good ME will make it work.

The best relationship is when a mixer can hand over the mix they and the artist are excited about and know that their ME will respect it and take it forward to the next level.

Your instincts are right in that slightly darker mixes are easier to enhance and great analogue gear really shines at this. Some MEs might prefer a bit more low end to sculpt in mastering. I don't really mind.

But most importantly, create something honest and raw and real and it will move and connect people. Never let the technical get in the way of that.

Last edited by SmoothTone; 1 week ago at 02:03 PM.. Reason: 011010011101001
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbot View Post
What is the ideal freq. balance in dance music production so mastering people can actually use their expensive equipment apart from leaving headroom for loudness increase?
Make the mix sound perfect to you and hope the ME can make it even better. If you want more or less of something you're not done mixing.

Last edited by Greg Reierson; 1 week ago at 05:19 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbot View Post

For example, I would say that having a mix sound more dull in the high frequency spectrum is probably preferable, so a ME can than give it a boost and sculped it a bit with their M-EQ (which probably sounds better than a plugin).

I am not sure though about the Bass region, is it generally better to leave more bass, so engineers can cut and compress it, or does the same apply here as well (boosting the low end with high end eqs sounds better etc..)?
Why just the highs or lows?

Why not the mids as well?

And then - where does it end?

You could go round in circles trying to influence what the ME will do, or you could make the mix as close to the desired sound as possible and let the ME focus on enhancing.

If you want analog "mojo" from mastering then choose a ME who has lots of colorful gear and communicate your wishes. You can get some nice tone just by passing a well balanced mix through certain gear without even turning the knobs.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search