The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to master for a flash drive
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

How to master for a flash drive

My question is if anyone has experience mastering for a flash drive. I'm clueless as to what format(s) to use so that people will get the order and spacings right. I would like to provide both hi res and mp3 formats plus graphics. I would like the listener to be able to listen like they would a CD or LP. Thank you for your help!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

the best you can do is encourage listeners to play the album gaplessly and in sequence, and make sure proper tags and spacings are built into the files. you can include a cue sheet, but there is no guarantee that folks will use it. i suggest using flac format for the hi-res version, since they can include all the necessary tags and cue sheet embed etc.

i use XLD for mac to compile digital download albums for various formats.

in general it is a difficult proposition in this era to get listeners to actually listen to your album in sequence, or even use a player with reliable gapless playback-- a frustration of the times.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I did a release on USB a couple of years ago. Basically, a folder of 24/48 files, a folder of mp3s and a folder of liner notes and photos. You could even put a video or 2 on it. Just include the track number in your file names. (1-Song Title, 2-Song Title, etc)
We did 100 2gig cards. Cost about $700cdn to print with colour graphics and all.
We used the card type drives from this site:
Custom USB Flash Drives Imprinted with your Logo
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Seems obvious, but you'll want to number the files so they'll display in the right order. You could also export the files in reverse order so they'll display correctly if the user selects "show by date." And I suppose you could make one big file of the whole album end-to-end and include that along with the individual songs.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Another option is to use HOFA's DDP Player. This 'forces' the listener to play the album like a CD via the interface and you can set it up to allow users to export their own FLAC, wav, mp3, etc with metadata written to the files.

DDP Player Maker | HOFA-Plugins
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTone View Post
Another option is to use HOFA's DDP Player. This 'forces' the listener to play the album like a CD via the interface and you can set it up to allow users to export their own FLAC, wav, mp3, etc with metadata written to the files.

DDP Player Maker | HOFA-Plugins
this is not a bad idea! i may consider such an option in the future...
i fear it will confuse some people though.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogoftears View Post
this is not a bad idea! i may consider such an option in the future...
i fear it will confuse some people though.
Confusion is certainly possible. An impossible-to-miss README file with a few simple instructions should minimise confusion and the HOFA Player Maker couldn't make it easier.

There's also no reason why you can't have both the player and folders with audio files.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTone View Post
Plenty of people won't be playing a flash drive on a standard computer. If you gave me a flash drive to play I'd probably put it in the TV, a media player box or our Bluetooth speaker that has a USB socket on the back.

Stick with wav or mp3 if you want the widest compatibility.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
Plenty of people won't be playing a flash drive on a standard computer. If you gave me a flash drive to play I'd probably put it in the TV, a media player box or our Bluetooth speaker that has a USB socket on the back.
Newer car stereos, even.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Or you could just put the album out as 1 continuous file. Since you’ll have the space, you could have an album file as well as individual files for each song in separate folders.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thank you everybody. Lots of gems of knowledge here. Now I know 1000% more than I knew before. And I have many decisions to make.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search