The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dave Davis Recovery Fund Utility Plugins
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Dave Davis Fund

Many of you know Dave Davis from this forum and his years as a Cincinnati, Ohio based mastering engineer and university educator. I believe he is also active in AES and the Grammy awards process.

Dave was in a horrific car accident this past Friday that has left him in a coma with multiple fractures in his arms, legs and rib cage and inoperable bleeding from his brain in several places. His best current prognosis, from the most current information I have, is he will be in a coma for a minimum 1-2 months as his body tries to repair itself.

I've known Dave for 30+ years. Initially from the local underground rock clubs as the skinny guy in tight jeans with spiky black hair who played in a pre-industrial rock band called "Sex Device." We both had a love for a Dayton area band called "Dementia Praecox." He loved Skinny Puppy, Big Black and Hospital Records, engineering records in bedroom studios on crappy 1/4" tape machines and yakking about music. At the time, Dave was the roommate of a good friend of mine and though I was centered in the folk music universe and it was the opposite of what he was interested in, he always made time to converse intelligently about the music I loved. As we progressed along our individual paths, he never wavered in his friendship, willingness to support or his interest in the local music community.

Dave always gives with his heart and mind and asks little in return. It is with a profound hope he will be able to continue to favor us with his wit, intelligence, skill and expansive humanity.

I'm not sure of his health insurance situation, but there has been a Go Fund Me set up to help with expenses. Please consider making a donation.

Fundraiser by Gary Shell : Help for Dave Davis

Last edited by swafford; 3 days ago at 03:23 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Terribly sorry to hear about that. Must be tough. Hoping all for a great recovery
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
OMG! so sorry to hear the news!

please give Dave my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

we’ve spent many years discussing similar interests on the audio forums.

sending good vibes to Dave.

JT
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Dave was a good forum friend and I visited him in Cincinnati a couple of years back.

This is terrible news. I pray he will be OK. Please keep us informed as to his progress.

Not a good way to start the day...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Very sorry to hear this. Thoughts are with Dave & family on his recovery & return to health.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sad to hear this. Dave’s one of the good guys.

Thoughts and prayers for Dave and his family.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for all the good vibes and well wishes.

It is with an extremely heavy heart I relay this morning the news that his family, in accordance with Dave's living will, has made the decision to take him off life support today. Monday Dave showed some positive progress in the fight for his life, but unfortunately as the week progressed, his injuries were to great overcome.

I know I speak for a lot of the Cincinnati music community how crushed we are by this loss. Dave was one of the good ones and he will be greatly missed.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
Thanks for all the good vibes and well wishes.

It is with an extremely heavy heart I relay this morning the news that his family, in accordance with Dave's living will, has made the decision to take him off life support today. Monday Dave showed some positive progress in the fight for his life, but unfortunately as the week progressed, his injuries were to great overcome.

I know I speak for a lot of the Cincinnati music community how crushed we are by this loss. Dave was one of the good ones and he will be greatly missed.
Oh no. My lord. You just expect that people will recover from these things. So sad.

My thoughts and prayers for Dave’s family.

Life is short and precious people... try to take time out to enjoy the day, family, friends and loved ones.

Godspeed Dave... you are already missed.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I am heartbroken over Dave Davis' passing. He was at a hospital well known for dealing with trauma patients, and we all believed they would find a way to help him mend. The car accident just impacted his brain too severely.

Dave was a huge resource of audio knowledge in these parts. He taught at the university for about a decade, mentoring many people who work in the industry, and he was a go to mastering engineer for several bands, working out of QCA Studios, Sound Images, and Ultrasuede. I understand he was a beta tester for Metric Halo for almost two decades. Just very tragic end to a guy who was kind and had an impressive skillset with his ears and his mind.

His family will still need some help in this situation. If you think you can add to the GoFundMe I know it will be appreciated.

Last edited by sirthought; 1 week ago at 11:58 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
A crying shame. Dave was a true beacon in this forum, when he posted I would sit up and take notice. I learnt from him, as I'm sure many others did, and I treasure his wisdom and wit. He once referred to a loudspeaker brand, which while capable of great mastering results had a presentation, according to Dave, akin to fluorescent lighting - he suggested the best policy was to 'turn the knobs until the pain goes away'!

Last edited by lowland; 1 week ago at 09:07 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I really thought this was going to have a good ending. What a tragedy. My thoughts are with his family and friends. God Bless and please remember him in your prayers.

Last edited by Thomas W. Bethe; 1 week ago at 12:38 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

I've known Dave for years only through the Metric Halo forum and association. He was a good friend. I heard the news yesterday. A pall fell over the day as my thought and heart went to him and his family. He will be sorely missed. He was definitely one of the good guys.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I will never forget him and his patience, wide tastes, and open hearted generosity.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Dave was always here with a good suggestions, a germ of an idea for discussion, and a tip for a specific problem. I was always amazed at his grasp of intricate detail, say, about surround formats and where to find the innovative practitioners in new formats.

Very sorry to hear of his death and the awful accident.

Blessings on his soul and his family.
Old 1 week ago
AHM
Here for the gear

Dave Davis first inspired me to focus on mastering, rather than recording and mixing. When I saw his Ren EQ and Comp plugins running in MultiRack on the same screen as his Sonic HD rig (ca. 1998), I realized that he had some powerful tools and knew how to use them, as he was finally making the break beats and booms sound the way I had intended. He deftly mastered my DAT mixes (of original Drum & Bass songs) to CD, and, in the process, it was I that got converted. I couldn't believe how good his Dunlavy monitors and Mytek converters made my tracks sound - both, in his room, and out in my car! His treatments translated well, everywhere. Generous with knowledge and resources, when I was looking for a new space, he told me about and showed me the studio next to his that I would lease (in December of 1999) and was a super-cordial business neighbor throughout the past nineteen years. We also collaborated on many sessions, over the years, with either me transferring open reels for his sessions or him prepping program for me to cut to lacquers. This news is cruelly absurd and demoralizing since Dave was so cool and honorable, in every way. The AES, NARAS, and G/s have lost another great one.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Very saddened to hear the news.

Dave was one of the good ones, always friendly in his demeanor.

With so much to offer, and so much to say.

Godspeed in the next realm Dave, and thanks for being a friend and valuable contributor to audio & music.

jt
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
i think this was Dave’s last post on GS, he always had so much to say, lots of well informed positions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Davis View Post
This thread's a real classic -- total slutty perspective on a common problem!

In this case, I don't think the challenge is finding Golden Cans. The real issue is configuring the rig, and training the operator...

If I were leaving for a long trip, or lost my room, I'd be looking at a similar solution to the op. I have a number of cans I like, especially my Grados, which are surely more flawed than most on the list at the top of the thread. The only magic: I've learned them pretty well, and my brain is thus able to translate on the fly. For me, whether you're talking about speakers, headphones, or monitor wedges on a stage, nothing beats hours of listening/learning the sound. It takes me a day or so to adjust to a different control room, so I bring my Grados for periodic reality checks while I learn the ropes.

Configuration has been raised a few times, and bears repeating. If I had to master entirely in cans, I'd absolutely spend time checking out Sonarworks, Goodhertz, et al, and use the Playback Slots of my daw as they're intended, to host dsp to address specific shortcomings, and inherent limitations of binaural reproduction. It's hard to say whether this is optimal anymore, it's more of a norm -- dsp is really good, and fairly ubiquitous; it takes a lot of care and effort to even know all the dsp happening in your signal path nowadays! Still, in mastering we DO make that effort. I would listen, measure, and verify the rig is workable, but once beyond that stage, the rest is just hours of listening.

I don't think there's a shortcut to those hours, and throwing gear at the problem only gets you so far. For quick listens and touch ups, one could make do with any of the cans on the first-post list, once learned.

dd
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb View Post
i think this was Dave’s last post on GS, he always had so much to say, lots of well informed positions.
That is classic Dave. We had a few informal sessions together where he came over to my sh!tty little barn studio to discuss certain mastering techniques I was trying to grasp and we'd bounce off into tangents on good, great, perfect, emotional, doable, and it would all come around to know your gear, learn it's weaknesses, recognize it's flaws, hear what is happening and don't get sidetracked by blemishes in the system. Sometimes I wasn't sure if he was talking about mixes or me, probably both, but I always found his insight revelatory.

At his funeral this past Tuesday, his Rabbi talked at length about Dave's basic humanity and integrity. How at Saturday morning Torah study/readings, he'd constantly challenge the conventional understanding of the text, always with that cheshire cat grin he had when he was in seek the truth/socratic mode - working through the flaws, understanding the hitches, getting to the thing in the text that gnawed at his intellect in an effort, not to correct it or make a declaration about it, but to understand it and live with it and work with it and be a better person because of it.

That was Dave.

Last edited by swafford; 3 days ago at 03:26 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 1 week ago
Motown legend

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
...At his funeral this past Tuesday, his Rabbi talked at length about Dave's basic humanity and integrity. How at Saturday morning Torah readings, he'd would constantly challenge the conventional understanding of the text, always with that cheshire cat grin he had when he was in seek the truth/socratic mode - working through the flaws, understanding the hitches, getting to the thing in the text that gnawed at his intellect in an effort, not to correct it or make a declaration about it, but to understand it and live with it and work with it and be a better person because of it.

That was Dave.
Wow!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search