The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LUFS Question - What Happens to a Quiet Transition?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

LUFS Question - What Happens to a Quiet Transition?

I hope this question makes sense...suppose you have a project with a bunch of songs where you want a consistent level, and they all hit close enough to an LUFS number - like -11 LUFS. Now suppose there's a transition between two songs that you want to be softer than the others, and after mastering it, it sits at around -17 LUFS. Further assume that all the songs, and the transition, have index markers for CD production.

When the completed project hits YouTube, will it match the transition level to the other cuts? If so, how do you get around that and preserve the intended level in relationship to the other songs?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
The system uses gating to ignore low level content.

Loudness Explained Page | MUSIC Group - TC Electronic)
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Given that target levels are -23 LUFS, would -17 LUFS be considered low-level content? I think low-level content is probably more about ignoring fadeouts and such.

Last edited by Anderton; 3 weeks ago at 05:03 AM.. Reason: ficks typoze
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
“Gating
When measuring Program Loudness, merely calculating the average level will not always be desirable as certain events - e.g. long passages of silence (or very soft background noise) in a movie - affect the Program Loudness parameter.Therefore, a gating scheme that pauses the measuring when the audio level drops below a threshold of -10 LU relative to an ungated measurement of the same program material has been developed.

The benefit of applying this gate is that the measurement becomes far more cross-genre friendly, allowing for example movies and classical music to be 'loudness aligned' with e.g. pop music and commercials. Note that to be efficient in a broadcast context, various types of program material with very different durations - such as a 2 hour movie and a 20 seconds commercial - must be able to be aligned in terms of loudness, and the gate is a very powerful tool in making this possible.”
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I really appreciate your willingness to stick with this (thanks!), but I think the problem is I wasn't clear that the transition has a track marker (it's quite long), and is being treated as a separate song.

Let me re-phrase the question: You submit five separate songs to YouTube that are meant to be played in a specific order. The five songs hit LUFS readings of -11, -11 , -17, -11, and -11. What will happen to the level of the individual song that's -17 when it hits YouTube?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Yeah, that's a tough one. The world has become focused on singles so now it struggles with albums. iTunes has said for years that it has an album feature built into SoundCheck. They even reference Dark Side of the Moon. But I have never seen it work properly.

I think the only way to guarantee your songs get played in order and with proper contextual loudness is to present is as one song. Take the control back from the machine. It will ultimately decide where the overall loudness sits, but the dynamic flow will be set by you.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reierson View Post
I think the only way to guarantee your songs get played in order and with proper contextual loudness is to present is as one song. Take the control back from the machine. It will ultimately decide where the overall loudness sits, but the dynamic flow will be set by you.
That's exactly what I did, the album turned into a DJ mix

So I guess you're thinking that yes, they will mess with the volume...that's what I figured, but I don't know everything, so figured I'd ask. Thanks!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search