The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Outlets NOT level matching properly. Need to takedown IMMEDIATELY, new LUFS target.
Old 3 weeks ago
Mastering Engineer

I wonder what this master actually sounds like. Do you have a link?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Davis View Post
Don't worry about that; the numbers are what's important.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Davis View Post
i would also like to hear it. hundreds of tests, thousands on marketing, it must be quite a song.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Stop ALL concern about LUFS, streaming portals
standards, -14, etc. et al. It is all bull****.

Just master at the level you like and that sounds
good. Who knows if the track is even going to
see streaming plays? You have to pay Spotify
extra cash to get your track into heavier rotation
anyway. Otherwise, it MIGHT show up at 3 a.m.
EDT on March 4 2019.

There is NO PENALTY and NO REJECTION from
any streaming platform if you submit a track
that exceeds their LUFS limit, whatever
that is. If it is “too loud” their software just
gains it down automatically. That is all.
On the other hand, their software does not
gain up a track that is lower LUFS level than
the rest of the tracks they stream. So if
your track is too quiet, it loses.

In Europe, streaming and radio get fined
for broadcasting at a level exceeding the European LUFS standard. Artists dont get
penalized, engineers and producers and labels dont get penalized either.

I’ve made what I call CD masters, which are
just as loud as I like them to be, AND I provide
a “streaming” master as well. Clients ALWAYS
prefer the louder CD master, without exception.

If you are looking for mastering software
that more or less does the limiting for streaming
automatically, check out Ozone 8’s Maximizer
(available only as part of the Ozone 8 package).
There is a little button in the left lower part of the Maximizer’s GUI marked “Learn Threshold”.
It’s default is -14db LUFS. Enable the
button and run your track..like magic, you’ll
see the Threshold slider ride up and down
automatically as the track progresses. Super
easy.
Old 2 weeks ago
Mastering Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich View Post
On the other hand, their software does not
gain up a track that is lower LUFS level than
the rest of the tracks they stream. So if
your track is too quiet, it loses.
I agree with your post for the most part BUT as far as I am aware Spotify will indeed bump up the volume of quiet tracks and push it against a limiter. This depends on the Volume Normalisation settings, which are titled "Loud", "Normal" and "Quiet"

From their Website:
"How does Spotify adjust loudness?

When we receive your audio file, we transcode it to delivery formats Ogg/Vorbis and AAC. At the same time, we calculate the loudness level and store that information as metadata in the transcoded formats of your track.

Playback levels are not adjusted when transcoding tracks. Tracks are delivered to the app with their original volume levels, and positive/negative gain compensation is only applied to a track while it’s playing. This gives users the option to adjust the Loudness Normalization if they want to.

Negative gain is applied to louder masters so the loudness level is at ca - 14 dB LUFS. This process only decreases the volume in comparison to the master; no additional distortion occurs.
Positive gain is applied to softer masters so that the loudness level is at ca - 14 dB LUFS. A limiter is also applied, set to engage at -1 dB (sample values), with a 5 ms attack time and a 100 ms decay time. This will prevent any distortion or clipping from soft but dynamic tracks.
The gain is constant throughout the whole track, and calculated to match our desired output loudness level."

It's all on this page Mastering and loudness – FAQ – Spotify for Artists
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ain't Nobody View Post
I don't even know that it's humanly POSSIBLE to have done more research, prep work, etc into selecting proper levels before release than I've done...
Speaking of which, you started that "limiter that allows up to 30ms of transients to pass untouched" thread, right? You were way, way deep into that, if I recall. At this point, you must have this all so dialed in that your tracks are louder than anyone else's regardless.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTone View Post
Ok, I think I see now. You listened to the wrong guys and stopped doing what your experience told you was working.

I try to keep it pretty simple here:

1) Aim for the loudness/density/crest factor that best serves the music.
2) Keep it loud enough to minimise chances of it being overlooked.
3) Try not to go so loud as to compromise the impact of the music.

Where the dot falls between each of those 3 requirements is determined by the characteristics of each song/album and client preferences. Some find an even balance between the three, others lean more towards one factor or another. I enjoy the moving target and like the challenge.

Hope you're able to find your happy medium with this one.

Looks like a good advise. Once a client told me about those Spotify standards so I did one for as they asked and created another one for myself. Sent them both to choose and they picked the louder one...figures
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ain't Nobody View Post
I say he gets MOST of it right because you absolutely can release different masters per service. I've done it. It's really not even an issue. You select per release where you want things to go. Not suggesting it, just pointing out that he gets that part wrong. It's not hard to do at all. It's not difficult to control your own isrc's.
Well I am "He" and I'd love to know more about that. I don't want to be giving out wrong info. Do you perchance have a link or something? To be honest I based that on reports from my clients who had tried to submit multiple versions and were told that they had to do a separate submission. I haven't tried it myself.

The way you worded it "You select per release" makes me wonder if we're actually saying the same thing. Is each version a different release? Wouldn't that be a separate submission?

When you control your own ISRCs, do you use the same ISRC for all the different versions (loudnesses) of the same song?

Kumbaya!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I'm chiming in although I think there's nothing much here to be done before listening to hi-res audio file done for upload in a controlled audio environment...

If the job is done as it should be done, if it's according to (at least to some 10%-20% offset/variation to Threshold that every service requires) specs. of domain and all what's written above and beyond then there's something really wrong with either original file or every single service.

Just my thought.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search