The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
mastering compressor comparison test Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks T. I'll look into having this unit analysed. I use it in stereo link and have not noticed any channel variations. My ears are likely not as finely tuned as your own or others here.
Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtone View Post
Im saying for this particular song, if you were mastering it, which of these comps would you have used?
these two songs weren't a mastering order, but are already released and were given to us by thom wettstein's label and by robert babicz (unmastered mixes of already released, mastered songs).
i have the pollock, airfield and the pure mu in my chain, sometimes i add the foote and the varis parallel.
all my analog-chain runs m/s.
i can't say which of my listed compressors i would have used for these songs.
most of all i use the airflied and the pure mu, moreover relatively often the foote parallel.
the varis has rather the task to add a boxtone, i usually add it in very small doses, but then it can do something - especially in the basses, which i don't get otherwise.

Last edited by teebaum; 2nd November 2018 at 04:20 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

ok Dan sent me the original file without DAAD loop so I was able to do some passes with my Foote P4SE.
Files are here-- Index of /p4setests
You'll have to grab the DAAD loop pass from the OP to do the comparisons, as I did not include the original in that zip file.
There are 8 passes, and a text file with settings notes. You'll hear box-tone, light compression, medium, heavy, FB mode, hard knee mode, AR mode etc.

Edit: BTW, I use the same converter as Teebaum, Mytek 8x192, so his DAAD pass should be fine for the comparisons.

Last edited by dogoftears; 4 weeks ago at 06:19 PM.. Reason: more info about files
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogoftears View Post
You'll have to grab the DAAD loop pass from the OP to do the comparisons
sorry to say this but you should have included your ADDA loop only pass, in order to judge exactly what P4 does, each converter gives its own signature sound which does a lot to program
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Zaccaria View Post
sorry to say this but you should have included your ADDA loop only pass, in order to judge exactly what P4 does, each converter gives its own signature sound which does a lot to sound
I apologize-- I should have mentioned that I use the same converter as Dan, Mytek 8x192, so his DAAD file should work for the comparison. Will edit my post to include that info.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

cool - thanks to clarify that
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
ok Dan sent me the original file without DAAD loop so I was able to do some passes with my Foote P4SE.
Files are here-- Index of /p4setests
You'll have to grab the DAAD loop pass from the OP to do the comparisons, as I did not include the original in that zip file.
There are 8 passes, and a text file with settings notes. You'll hear box-tone, light compression, medium, heavy, FB mode, hard knee mode, AR mode etc.

Edit: BTW, I use the same converter as Teebaum, Mytek 8x192, so his DAAD pass should be fine for the comparisons.
Thanks for uploading. First time I listen to the P4S.
I directly compared it to the P3S file and in my impression Teebaums file is very much in between your Mediumcompression and Lightcompression file, gain reduction wise.
Seems the P4S is indeed a bit more colored, more muscular with a bit of "HIFI" attitude and also a bit wider sounding, but also with a comparable characteristic to the P3S. I also hear a bit annoying tone in the mids, its also in the separate boxtone file (thanks for this too, always makes a lot of sense to me). Dont know if its really the sound of the unit or some slight diffs in the studio setup. Maybe it just comes from the distortion, that seems to be higher with the 4.
So the small P3S is the winner for me here. Less colored, but in a nice way and without being boring VCA.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Dan--
did you get a chance to listen? i'm very curious about how you think it compares to your current compression arsenal, and the reasons it may or may not fit in.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ View Post
It seems also a bit edgy in the highs. Or its because its so different and not really comparable to more classic designs..?
In the vid on youtube, the settings of the Pollock on "Colored" are Style setting R(right) which triggers compression from mids and highs only as well as Color setting R which only applies compression to highs.

I'm very interested in the Hendy which is the only reason I investigated because I had a similar conclusion to you.

Awesome comparison tho, been listing to files a bunch.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post
the pollock can sometimes be an enormous profit if used correctly.
Just noticed your Pollock settings for the test. Have you set up the unit so output unity gain is set at 0? I left mine at the factory standard “5” and didn’t think to change it.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomaster View Post
Just noticed your Pollock settings for the test. Have you set up the unit so output unity gain is set at 0? I left mine at the factory standard “5” and didn’t think to change it.
my pollock is a stepped one and chris hendy told me that his idea is that the compressor has unity gain at full left (0)- there the steps are finely scaled & you never have to lower with the makeup gain.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
my pollock is a stepped one and chris hendy told me that his idea is that the compressor has unity gain at full left (0)- there the steps are finely scaled & you never have to lower with the makeup gain.
Ah ha. I have the pot version and unity gain is designed to be at 5. Possibly not down to any useful function but probably to avoid less accurate tracking at lower values.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dan--
did you get a chance to listen? i'm very curious about how you think it compares to your current compression arsenal, and the reasons it may or may not fit in.
I want to thank you for the big effort you've put in.
the p4s is a very nice tool, but not the one i was looking for - i already covered this area well.
i wanted something rougher, more garish - not a noble compressor for every day.
i was thinking about an api 2500, but there were delays and i got a wes-audio dione in the meantime and it harmonized surprisingly well with my chain. that also surprised me, but maybe it's just that it's a straight vca with "terrible" 5532 in it. the additional features are also pretty cool.
i also screwed an "inflated" anamod ats-1 into the rack, which has a modified power supply and where the input potentiometer was taken out of the circuit - according to gregor zemljic i should have about 12dB less noise and much tighter basses.
my experiences so far are appealing.
in a way i have upgraded quite conservatively - ssl buscompressor and tape machine - old school

btw - i'm looking for an ATR-102 card for the ATS-1, so if you need some christmas money in the cash register...
Old 20 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
i was thinking about an api 2500, but there were delays
have time to check it out, a lot of different sounds you can get from 2500, very famous for this, I had it ages ago and now I want it back
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search