The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Acustica Eq for tone/color, in addition to analog gear Dynamics Plugins
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Acustica Eq for tone/color, in addition to analog gear

Hi guys,
I would like to purchase my first AA plugins, probably exploiting black friday sale.
I just need more stuff for my rig. I have some analog eqs but they are pretty clean and I miss some box tone, also I need some parametric eq because I need more precision and control sometimes. And yes Equilibrium is wonderful but I don't like its style and workflow. It's not for me. I prefer Slick eq with stepped gain and fixed frequency(without any display also). I currently have a Dav bg3, Klontz Baxx, Custom Tilt eq and a parallel passive eq.
No tube, quitely clean and fast gears.
So I'm NOT interested in plugin that emulates Pultec or DW Fearn(ruby and white) because I want parametric mid bands(some various boost for tonalization, some cut to remove mudness from lomid and tame some harshness in upper mids). Need color and character eqs to be complementary to my other gears. Tubes are welcome. Maybe a clean SS for having more choice.
I' m gonna demo some stuff but I would like to receive some feedback.. I need time to understand what perfectly match with my rig.
After some research I'm gonna demo:

-Azure (Knif Soma)
-Magenta (Manley MP)
-Diamond color eq ( for pure tone, It reminds me Hendyamps Michelangelo--> complementary to baxx/dav bg3..but not enough precise, so probably I'll purchase it with one bewtween Magenta and Azure)

Maybe Ivory for more trasparency.

I know this is a huge and quitely vague question, but I know what I want.
I hope someone would like to share their thoughts with me.
Thank you in advance.
Best Regards,
Angelo
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Anyone?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
I think it is best if you just take your time and demo what you think you might like. You may also want to check Viridian, it's very good.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piddizero View Post
Hi guys,
I would like to purchase my first AA plugins, probably exploiting black friday sale.
I just need more stuff for my rig. I have some analog eqs but they are pretty clean and I miss some box tone, also I need some parametric eq because I need more precision and control sometimes. And yes Equilibrium is wonderful but I don't like its style and workflow. It's not for me. I prefer Slick eq with stepped gain and fixed frequency(without any display also). I currently have a Dav bg3, Klontz Baxx, Custom Tilt eq and a parallel passive eq.
So I'm NOT interested in plugin that emulates Pultec or DW Fearn(ruby and white) because I want parametric mid bands(some various boost for tonalization, some cut to remove mudness from lomid and tame some harshness in upper mids). Need color and character eqs to be complementary to my other gears. Tubes are welcome. Maybe a clean SS for having more choice.
I' m gonna demo some stuff but I would like to receive some feedback.. I need time to understand what perfectly match with my rig.

-Azure (Knif Soma)
-Magenta (Manley MP)
-Diamond color eq ( for pure tone, It reminds me Hendyamps Michelangelo--> complementary to baxx/dav bg3..but not enough precise, so probably I'll purchase it with one bewtween Magenta and Azure)

Thank you in advance.
Best Regards,
Angelo
Magenta (EQ A - Manley Massive Passive), Bronze2 (Millennia NSEQ-2 Solid State Section), Pink2 (EQ C - API 5500) are the three I use the most. Ivory (Maselec MEA-2), Ruby (DW Fern VT-5) and Diamond Color EQ also see occasional use. I didn't like the "sampling" of Azure, especially the preamp.

I'm using these in conjunction with hardware and often don't use the preamps or trim the inputs down. I am often disappointed with the boxtone/preamp compared to hardware, especially in mastering (although they are often fine for mixing), but the shape and texture of the EQs are excellent and compare favorably to other ITB EQs.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

So I demoed Azure and Diamond Eq.
AWESOME!! Never heard this from a plugin.
Comparing Azure with the DAV..mm yeah DAV wins everytime for gentle broad boost..but Azure has its own sound, and I,ve never heard something like this from an eq ITB. It was simply wonderful, comparing to others. It you don't boost more than 1 db it's so magic.(dont boost almost never more than that). Nice Also for 250 cut.
Diamond is euphonic . It Is what I would want:intuitive and not sterile. But I didn't like the mid band.. and preamps are not for me. ))

I Will use them, then after some days I'll get Magenta. Till Now AA is another beast..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I highly recommend testing Ruby also. That "box tone" of the DW Fearn stuff is just incredible on some stuff. In case you test it, make sure you use the RubyHQ plugin instance and turn the input trim down a lot (or up if you want it a bit smashed).

Even though it's very limited in how you can use the EQ section it is still really impressive how much you can do with it. I especially like the low-pass filter.. most excellent for subtly reducing shrill stuff in the highs. I also find myself using the high bell at really narrow Q settings to give just a bit of sparkle at 8, 12 or 16kHz (usually in combination with the filter).

Ruby imparts an immediate "expensive" tone to almost anything, especially if the source is a bit sterile. No other AA plugin has that tone in my opinion.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi guys,

-Azure (Knif Soma)
-Magenta (Manley MP)

Thank you in advance.
Best Regards,
Angelo
I find the strongest most appealing colors come from the Gold 2 and Pink 2 bundles. But start just running your mix through the pre amp strip plugs first. All kinds of fun stuff happens even before you insert EQ. Im a huge fan of Amethyst Eq and compression too. The A eq at 1.5kh can transform the feel of a mix.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Ruby, Gold,Pink... So many eq!!
It's dangerous to test them, because I will probably like them, each one.. maybe. Next days=other trial versions!

Today I made some comparison between Azure and Magenta 3(demo version was magenta 3, or maybe if I'm right channel strip is Magenta 4, standalone eq is 3). Azure was almost always better in my opinion. Only for lomid cut Magenta wins, and I have to say that I didn't like it for hi frequencies.. Azure was more 3d sounding, and has a natural, pleasant touch. Definitively Azure seems to be inside the music,with less artifacts and less equalized results. Also I prefer its ergonomic approach more than Magenta. But maybe the new version is better!!
Diamond still rules, I used it as 'tone shaper' before DAC.

I know thay I'll probably like Ruby too, but right now I have more shelvings and tone controls in my gears than bells and as I said I need a bit of precision. And more choice.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Well I believe you might like Ivory, it's very natural sounding and "transparent" (meaning it's not sterile). Demoing is free Pink2 is also good, it has some nice compressors too.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ruby, Gold,Pink... So many eq!!
It's dangerous to test them, because I will probably like them, each one.. maybe. Next days=other trial versions!

Today I made some comparison between Azure and Magenta 3(demo version was magenta 3, or maybe if I'm right channel strip is Magenta 4, standalone eq is 3). Azure was almost always better in my opinion. Only for lomid cut Magenta wins, and I have to say that I didn't like it for hi frequencies.. Azure was more 3d sounding, and has a natural, pleasant touch. Definitively Azure seems to be inside the music,with less artifacts and less equalized results. Also I prefer its ergonomic approach more than Magenta. But maybe the new version is better!!
Diamond still rules, I used it as 'tone shaper' before DAC.

I know thay I'll probably like Ruby too, but right now I have more shelvings and tone controls in my gears than bells and as I said I need a bit of precision. And more choice.
Should be Magenta4... very solid improvement over 3. Did they only give the channel strip for the demo?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benj View Post
Should be Magenta4... very solid improvement over 3. Did they only give the channel strip for the demo?
These are my first Aquarius downloads. Maybe I'm not the right person to ask but I have found that Magenta 4 is a Channel Strip and Magenta 3 is a standalone eq. So version 4 is a mini bundle.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Well I believe you might like Ivory, it's very natural sounding and "transparent" (meaning it's not sterile). Demoing is free Pink2 is also good, it has some nice compressors too.
Yeah Ivory is on the list too, I should try it and redownload also the new Magenta 4.. It seems like I need a lot of time to truly apprecciate AA plugin.
Does Pink2 provide magic presence boost as Api??

Besides Ivory seems nice because sometimes I miss a multiband for low and Hi freq content, I'm not a fan of MB but maybe sometimes it could work, also because I don't like dyn eq when used on broad bands.. So maybe an emulation of MLA3 ( altough never used this) could be useful for sessions where I miss that kind of tool.
For what regards compressor, I like Kotelnikov, Weiss and other proudly digital compressor. Before I used other plug in like softube CL1B and PSP mastercomp but now I use a Drawmer 1968 ME, which is a stereobus compressor, to get more glue but with very very very little Gain reduction, and it does its work.( nice but not excellent). Unfortunately Threeshold and Tube make up gain are 'fixed' and calibrated by me cause these are dual mono and not stepped control so I use to decide desired GR by controlling the input signal level. Nevertheless I prefer it over digital emulation, so I'm not interested in analog compressor emulations..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
These are my first Aquarius downloads. Maybe I'm not the right person to ask but I have found that Magenta 4 is a Channel Strip and Magenta 3 is a standalone eq. So version 4 is a mini bundle.
I wish I could help, I already owned Magenta, so I only downloaded the purchased version which includes - Magenta4Strip, Magenta4 (EQ), Magenta4ST (stereo L/R M/S EQ), Magenta4Comp, Magenta4STComp (stereo L/R M/S comp), Magenta4Pre - and never tried their trial. Usually the trial includes everything... so maybe e-mail support?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah Ivory is on the list too, I should try it and redownload also the new Magenta 4.. It seems like I need a lot of time to truly apprecciate AA plugin.
Does Pink2 provide magic presence boost as Api??

Besides Ivory seems nice because sometimes I miss a multiband for low and Hi freq content, I'm not a fan of MB but maybe sometimes it could work, also because I don't like dyn eq when used on broad bands.. So maybe an emulation of MLA3 ( altough never used this) could be useful for sessions where I miss that kind of tool.
For what regards compressor, I like Kotelnikov, Weiss and other proudly digital compressor. Before I used other plug in like softube CL1B and PSP mastercomp but now I use a Drawmer 1968 ME, which is a stereobus compressor, to get more glue but with very very very little Gain reduction, and it does its work.( nice but not excellent). Unfortunately Threeshold and Tube make up gain are 'fixed' and calibrated by me cause these are dual mono and not stepped control so I use to decide desired GR by controlling the input signal level. Nevertheless I prefer it over digital emulation, so I'm not interested in analog compressor emulations..
I don't use MB comps, but the two I've liked the best were Ivory and Leapwing Audio's DynOne. I've always had better results with Sonnox Dynamic EQ for deep fixing - tonal re-balancing - combined with DMG Essence/Weiss De-Ess and occasionally Soothe/Spiff.

Concerning Pink2 - Definitely try EQ C - it has a unique sound that I can't get anywhere else ITB - although I'd use the pre from the 2500 if you need it and not the one on the EQ plugin. Happy listening!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

After more session using AA plugins I'm still in love with them, very nice stuff. Nevertheless I think they are useful to complement analog gears, or maybe for a ITB workflow, but I wouldn't use them to replace my analog gear. For example Azure or Magenta are wondeful but anyway I don't prefer them over my Dav BG3 most of the time. Instead I really like Diamond Eq preadc with lofreq and hifreq boost and a lomid cut, all at first step gain ( it enhance sounds and help me achieve more attractiveness).
So I'm trying to focus more on preamp stuff to get different flavours. If I could buy everyone, I would do it, but I Can't afford all of them right now and I' ve found TDR slick eq enough good for my tasks.
I demoed Crimson and really like it, but just for saturation. I think Crimson too, maybe is better for mix jobs but when used very carefully is outstanding for mastering purpose. I usually use it with settings like 4 level, pretty low drive ( around 9 o' clock), slight hf roll off shape, flat signal, 30% blending, zener on/off to taste. I love it. It' s my starting point preset.
I would demo Gold2 and Coral, and experimenting with their preamp module. Also I'm curious about Elliptical filter in Coral.. and using parallel compression, usually done with kotelnikov till now.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search