The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is Everyone Mastering Now Days? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thevegasnerve View Post
Absolutely in a nutshell. Many of these DIYers are not young either, it’s a cultural shift in how we make music.
There are many interrelated factors...consumerism, technology, youthful self-centeredness, social media...
I think the culture psychology of Indivuism's pendulum has swung to the extreme of the Self being ENTIRELY responsible for one's success or failure (Re: Mr. Bethe). This perspective +usually+ comes from those who haven't a realistic appreciation of the external conditions that have contributed to their position higher up in the food chain of designated "winners".
With this, critique of the of the poor state of recording industry and those who take that central idea of winning by any means necessary falls short: the DIYers are simply exercising this philosophy on a mass scale- capitalism's sucking on the unintended effects: with the proper amount of cash you can buy your way to any desired result.
So to somehow turn that battleship around by wishing the hacks would outsource by collaboration with professionals seems to ignore what their desired result actually is...which of course, should be, in an ideal perspective, democratic, far-sighted. The idea that the learning process is as important as the final conclusion. In arts education, this is primary. But as with the arts, and education, knowledge too is product, not valuable in itself, character-building- it is a means to something else...power and status. Their intended result is hollow and transient, nurturing talent takes too much time, effort and discipline. The present-day disciples are faithful the Game, more than ever. Rock is not dead. In fact, the nihilism is so potent, that they must know, too that they in the end undermine themselves. But the reward system is too great. A posted song, a FB like, a comment....the biochemical need satisfied. Crush it out in the ashtray, on to the next one.
Few nowadays undertake a music career for the sake of contributing to music itself, or even society. So, like medicine, go specialized, go for the bucks instead of GP. Your contribution to society is your resulting buying power to consume more product.
But now, the collatoral damage and those sacrificed has finally seeped into the upper strata, those previously comfortable, who somehow didn't see it coming, that tech and commerce's exponential appetite for more, better and faster would leave them, too in the dust.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Happy to report that I see an increase skill by the home recording DIY world. They don't have the room/skill/perspective to master at the highest level, but some people are getting very good at mixing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
When ever I used the high ticket LA mastering houses I always attended the sessions. There are too many decisions made to not be there. Or, send it back for a redo.
And yet ... 500+ clients a year, less than 1/2% of them ever attend.

Each mastering room is unique and no one knows what they're doing in there except the ME who built the room. Listening in our familiar workspace and car is fast and easy and notes are complete and comprehensive when a client has secure footing. Guessing and micromanaging is not needed at mastering.
Old 3 days ago
Attending is mandatory if you want any say at all.

"Trust, but verify".
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe that's how it used to be. Times have changed. The new model is online mastering with revisions if needed based on clients listening on their own systems. Not perfect but that's how the vast majority is done these days...

Last edited by Trakworx; 3 days ago at 07:21 PM..
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
nope, sorry. that's not how it is at all. you think we don't do what our clients ask of us?

of course we do.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggs View Post
nope, sorry. that's not how it is at all. you think we don't do what our clients ask of us?

of course we do.
Unless it involves changing all the cables and modifying the equipment in my case.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I haven't actually counted, but it feels like I get as many requests for revisions after attended sessions as I do after unattended sessions. Probably because clients don't know my monitoring environment. How about you guys?
Old 3 days ago
Motown legend

Verified Member
My experience has been that clients don't need to "know" really good monitors. I learned an immense amount about mixing from attending mastering sessions with Doug Sax, Bernie Grundman, and Bob Ludwig. I also never hesitated to request revisions after living with the album for a while.
Old 3 days ago
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
My experience has been that clients don't need to "know" really good monitors. I learned an immense amount about mixing from attending mastering sessions with Doug Sax, Bernie Grundman, and Bob Ludwig. I also never hesitated to request revisions after living with the album for a while.
The thing is you wanted to learn. The new money buy all crowd may just request the sound imprinted to their brain at their accustomed to but incorrect room/chain since they do not tell right from wrong in a the sense do not accept the mastering room they attend a session in is which is correct, not theirs.
Old 10 hours ago
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Because you were always a mastering engineer. You were thinking with overview ears. You were learning towards your destination. Artists and producers generally are not like you, they are listening to other things and listening in other ways.

Mixers, similarly, don't need overview as much as they need to mix for vision and focus. They can learn everything in their own space they know well, with a VOLUME ADJUSTED A/B. Again, I work 99.99% unattended for a couple decades now.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search