The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
mastering eq comparison test
Old 4th November 2018
  #61
Lives for gear
 
SmoothTone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo View Post
Quick question just trying to understand. Am I correct to assume there was an original silver version available as a Recording or Mastering PQ then a newer one a couple of years ago and now a revised one? In other words three different versions since its original appearance?

p.s. and two for the Passeq so far?
Just the 2. By 'new' I meant the 2016 model. I edited my post to prevent further confusion.
Old 5th November 2018
  #62
Well about the Spl PQ, at the beginning it was the model 2050, with motorized pots and presets/recall function. Then they released a "recording version" wich was basically the same without the motorized pots and all the logic circuitry etc.
Now they released an updated version of the PQ with an updated design wich "cut down" the production cost overall.
I did listen to the newer model and, if I remember correctly, it was a bit more "open" or let say "present" in the midrange, and "less" warm in the low / high area. The power supply is quite different from the original design aswell, so that can change a lot of things about how the unit sounds etc.
I'll do a shoot out with smoothtone files to see if I hear the same thing
Old 11th November 2018
  #63
Gear Nut
 
shamelesssounds's Avatar
 

i was curious how the Tube Tech HLT2A would sound if I only replace
the two nr.1 tubes, as the developer is of the mind that only these
two would provoke a tonal alteration (ref. Teebaum's earlier posts).

So I replaced the two 1st Tubes (L/R) with
Mullard M8137, as I had great experiences with Mullard,
when I had the Thermionic Phoenix "11th anniversary edition".
(although it uses another Mullard M-Tubes).

- Converter: Hapi

Self-Service (I also upload a picture of settings):

Original File (24/96)
http://mixofon.com/tube_tech_hlt2a/N...ORIGINAL2).wav

Original Tubes of TT HLT2A
http://mixofon.com/tube_tech_hlt2a/T...inal_Tubes.wav

Mullard M8137 Tubes
http://mixofon.com/tube_tech_hlt2a/TT_M8137_Tubes.wav
Attached Thumbnails
mastering eq comparison test-4.jpg  
Old 12th November 2018
  #64
Lives for gear
 
teebaum's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamelesssounds View Post
i was curious how the Tube Tech HLT2A would sound if I only replace
the two nr.1 tubes, as the developer is of the mind that only these
two would provoke a tonal alteration (ref. Teebaum's earlier posts).

So I replaced the two 1st Tubes (L/R) with
Mullard M8137, as I had great experiences with Mullard,
when I had the Thermionic Phoenix "11th anniversary edition".
(although it uses another Mullard M-Tubes).

- Converter: Hapi

Self-Service (I also upload a picture of settings):

Original File (24/96)
http://mixofon.com/tube_tech_hlt2a/N...ORIGINAL2).wav

Original Tubes of TT HLT2A
http://mixofon.com/tube_tech_hlt2a/T...inal_Tubes.wav

Mullard M8137 Tubes
http://mixofon.com/tube_tech_hlt2a/TT_M8137_Tubes.wav
interesting!

the sound difference is huge, you can't imagine that you used the same setting.
the original tubes sound snuffy, the mullard much more open, whereby I would like to listen in again tomorrow with fresh ears, the brightness could also come from more saturation.
the version with the mullards also seems to be much louder, something that is not confirmed by the measurements, but rather by the brightness and possibly by saturation.

your sound sample makes it a bit difficult for me to clearly recognize saturation, moreover, it is difficult for me to estimate the punch and lowend range of your sample.

i ordered the same mullards after your mail and now these new cryo-tubes from jj.
i will make a comparison of all diveser tubes to find the optimal combination for me!
Old 12th November 2018
  #65
Gear Nut
 
shamelesssounds's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post
interesting!

the sound difference is huge, you can't imagine that you used the same setting.
yes I'm really amazed!

With the Mullards, the hammer acts more like that huge Steinway that I've recorded ;- ) : more weighty, with a bigger body, more open. But you're right the punch is not that obvious as it would be with drums or even bass guitars etc... so I am looking forward to listen to your test results.

And the Mullards reproduce the dynamic, spatial and tonal complexities better in busy/congested musical moments: better resolution specially in the mids.
Or maybe the original Tubes are not just the right ones for this device!

I just can say, it was a great investment to buy both the TubeTech and these new Tubes, thanks to you Teebaum.

* update: the mullards sound even better after a short break in (4-5 hours only).
** update 2 after several days: the already very good tt stepped a new level of quality with the M8137 (or maybe will with any other good tubes as well, except the original ones). Besides other improvements in the mids and basses, the Highs are now like a sweet dream.
Old 13th March 2019
  #66
Hey Guyz, I thought I'll post this here, I'm selling this baby :

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear...l#post13862742

Old 14th March 2019
  #67
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post
interesting!

the sound difference is huge, you can't imagine that you used the same setting.
the original tubes sound snuffy, the mullard much more open, whereby I would like to listen in again tomorrow with fresh ears, the brightness could also come from more saturation.
the version with the mullards also seems to be much louder, something that is not confirmed by the measurements, but rather by the brightness and possibly by saturation.

your sound sample makes it a bit difficult for me to clearly recognize saturation, moreover, it is difficult for me to estimate the punch and lowend range of your sample.

i ordered the same mullards after your mail and now these new cryo-tubes from jj.
i will make a comparison of all diveser tubes to find the optimal combination for me!
Are the tubes true NOS British Mullards or current production Russian tubes?
Old 16th March 2019
  #68
Gear Addict
Nice thing to do teebaum, but wouldn't it be more fun to actually use the same EQ, then watch magic ears hear the nuances of the mentioned brands?
Old 16th March 2019
  #69
Lives for gear
 
teebaum's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalsound View Post
Nice thing to do teebaum, but wouldn't it be more fun to actually use the same EQ, then watch magic ears hear the nuances of the mentioned brands?
I leave such games to the politicians
Old 16th March 2019
  #70
Gear Maniac
 
fccmt's Avatar
 

What a great thread, thank you for that Teebaum!
The G23 in the solid state mode was quite a surprise...very nice! The Eksa is a splendid unit. In this conditions, it was the one I liked the most (Maselec VS Eksa would be great though).
I, immediately recognised the sound of the TT: the slightly muddy bass that it adds to the song and the shiny upfront highs...comparing it to the new G23, it makes me wonder if the G23 isn't a better option/investment...the new unit seems a little more versatile...the API is also a great eq, for sure, full of character...I'm glad that I didn't sell mine

Thank you for the fun!
Old 17th March 2019
  #71
Lives for gear
 
teebaum's Avatar
you should hear the TT with the new tubes - is a new device, incredible what you can get out of it!
the g23s is a marvelous device, but in both modes far away from the TT, not better or worse, just different.

the elksa is unbelievable useful for me.
i never had a mea-2 rev6 or rev7, compared to the rev5 i would prefer the eksa a lot - but there seems to be a lot going on since rev5.

a really good aspect of this test for me was that i realized again how great an api5500 can be (especially if the opamps are replaced according to its needs).
i am really very happy with my eq's, i find in every situation a combination that excites me.
Old 18th March 2019
  #72
Gear Maniac
 
fccmt's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post
you should hear the TT with the new tubes - is a new device, incredible what you can get out of it!
the g23s is a marvelous device, but in both modes far away from the TT, not better or worse, just different.

the elksa is unbelievable useful for me.
i never had a mea-2 rev6 or rev7, compared to the rev5 i would prefer the eksa a lot - but there seems to be a lot going on since rev5.

a really good aspect of this test for me was that i realized again how great an api5500 can be (especially if the opamps are replaced according to its needs).
i am really very happy with my eq's, i find in every situation a combination that excites me.
oh, I'm sure you are. you've got a wonderful pallet

I'm curious about your tube selection for the TT. Did you change only the lows or the highs too?

Regarding what Leif said to me, between the revisions, there is not a big difference...the major difference is the bass curve. What I know and from my experience, is that, it's great to have other options but, I could depend only on this eq.

It's better for me to not listen/demo the Eksa. That way I can keep the illusion that MEA was the best option eheh
Old 7th May 2019
  #73
The Eksa seems to be my favorite here. It seems to be the most balanced and natural. For some time, I thought the F610's actually sounded good but after all the comments to the contrary here, I seemed to have changed my mind with some critical listening. There seems to be something strange going on with the dynamics and a lot of the individual elements started to sound pokey and unglued. It does seem to impart a sheen in the color mode but maybe its more of a visqueem plastic type sheen? Lol.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump