The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
alternatives to WaveLab: only use the Montage DAW Software
Old 16th October 2018
alternatives to WaveLab: only use the Montage

For years I have been running WaveLab 6 on an XP machine. My new machine runs Windows 7 and I am having difficulty getting WaveLab 6 to run.

Great, I think to myself, I have an excuse to upgrade. However, in their infinite wisdom, Steinberg does not offer an upgrade path from 6 to 9.5. I would have to pay the full price (well over $500).

But the only think I use in WaveLab is the Montage feature. I like that I can have all the cuts (what Steinberg calls "clips") of an album on one line, play with things like levels and fades and have multiple plugs active on a per cut (clip) basis. Steinberg does offer 9.5 elements, that that only allows two plugins per clip (not very realistic for me).

SO, is there an affordable program out there that does what Montage does? As I said, I don't need (not use) any of the other features of Wavelab; essentially, I am looking for an assembly program that allows gain changes and multiple plug-ins on a cut by cut basis.

Thanks for the help.
Old 16th October 2018
Lives for gear

As far as Mac options go, I've been around the block and back to WaveLab. The montage is pretty unique and especially on Mac, I haven't found anything that comes close to it.

PreSonus Studio One (Project Mode) and DSP Quattro 5 have some similar concepts but for my workflow are too much of a compromise. Triumph is also an option but the concept is pretty out there.

If you are on a PC that opens up some other options including Samplitude Pro which is on sale right now:

Special offer: MAGIX Samplitude Pro X Suite – Audio production

WaveLab 6 is pretty old and Steinberg just recently stopped offering an upgrade path for it, but if you do mastering often or all time, the cost should be worth the investment in terms of time saved.

WaveLab Elements is not a viable option in my opinion.
Old 16th October 2018
Gear Nut

Sounds like Samplitude would be a good fit for you. Unlike the other DAW I would recommend, Reaper, it has well developed object based fx automation. I used its fuller featured sibling Sequoia for years and loved this feature, though I primarily use Wavelab and Reaper now.
Old 16th October 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Reaper or Audacity? Both are either free or very low in cost

I use Wavelab Pro 9.5.35 and Samplitude and find they are both great mastering programs. FWIW
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Merging Pyramix Essentials. 4 point editing, leaves the montage for dead.
Merging Technologies - Pyramix
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildplum View Post
For years I have been running WaveLab 6 on an XP machine. My new machine runs Windows 7 and I am having difficulty getting WaveLab 6 to run.

Great, I think to myself, I have an excuse to upgrade. However, in their infinite wisdom, Steinberg does not offer an upgrade path from 6 to 9.5. I would have to pay the full price (well over $500).

But the only think I use in WaveLab is the Montage feature. I like that I can have all the cuts (what Steinberg calls "clips") of an album on one line, play with things like levels and fades and have multiple plugs active on a per cut (clip) basis. Steinberg does offer 9.5 elements, that that only allows two plugins per clip (not very realistic for me).

SO, is there an affordable program out there that does what Montage does? As I said, I don't need (not use) any of the other features of Wavelab; essentially, I am looking for an assembly program that allows gain changes and multiple plug-ins on a cut by cut basis.

Thanks for the help.
If you have a fast efficient workflow with WL6 (and can get it to run with Win 7), I'd stay with that quite honestly.

After that, it's a fork in the road. If you could upgrade to WL8.5 it should still be familiar enough (through similarity to 6) to not slow you down...9.5 isn't at all essential, if 6 has served your needs til now.

A warning...if Wavelab 7 is offered to you, avoid it at all costs...it was a train-wreck, and probably lost a lot of loyal Steinberg users during its sad, sorry lifespan !!

I don't know if you could buy an eLicenser usb dongle and version 8.5 from eBay and transfer ownership to yourself that way...it would be likely cheaper than buying the download/upgrade from Steinberg ?

Or take the fork Reaper-wards: have a look at these 3 videos and ask yourself if you could adapt your workflow to this methodology...
YouTube
YouTube
YouTube
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Wavelab should run fine in win 7.

You may try right clicking the wavelab icon and select properties, then compatibility, and select Run this program in compatibility mode for:
Windows XP Service Pack 3.

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitman View Post
Wavelab should run fine in win 7.

You may try right clicking the wavelab icon and select properties, then compatibility, and select Run this program in compatibility mode for:
Windows XP Service Pack 3.

Absolutely...I have Windows 7 64 bit (and 32 bit on another laptop) and WL6 runs on both just fine, and I don't believe that I'm using compatibility mode either...but it could help to do that, if you strike trouble. Maybe right clicking on the WL6 desktop icon and running it as Administrator could overcome hurdles as well ?

Do check out the 3 YouTube overview tutorials on 'Mastering with Reaper' ....to see if it streamlines anything over and above what you have with Wavelab ?

If you install WL6 anyway, you can even use its included plugins inside Reaper (and Reaper has a pretty formidable set of its own as well) !
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
wavelab 9.5 runs perfectly on win7. and v6 was great but it's come a long way and 9.5 is much better.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search