The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can I bounce two mastered tracks?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Can I bounce two mastered tracks?

Hi Folks,

This ME sent me two mastered version of the same track. I would like to pick some stuff from the first version (i.e. intro and outro) and others from the second.
I don't want to ask for another revision, so:

It's ok if I "mashup" the two mastered version and print a new bounce from my Daw? There is some stuff that I should care of?
Old 6 days ago
if you really know what you're doing, why not.
Be carefull about the level during crossfade, since you're working with loud (I gues) material, the sum during the crossfade could exceed 0dBfs.

Also I woud recommend to use 24bits version (or 32) and not the 16bits version so you don't (accidentaly) redither thing
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxnscratch View Post
if you really know what you're doing, why not.
Be carefull about the level during crossfade, since you're working with loud (I gues) material, the sum during the crossfade could exceed 0dBfs.

Also I woud recommend to use 24bits version (or 32) and not the 16bits version so you don't (accidentaly) redither thing
plus just changing the bit rate might give you overs.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniff View Post
plus just changing the bit rate might give you overs.
I don't see how it could be possible, changing sample rate could cause over but Bit Rate, no.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Interesting. I usually advise creating a 16 bit session and using the 16 bit version because I assume that no DAW will automatically dither the export of a 16 bit file from a 16 bit session. Do I assume wrongly?
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
Interesting. I usually advise creating a 16 bit session and using the 16 bit version because I assume that no DAW will automatically dither the export of a 16 bit file from a 16 bit session. Do I assume wrongly?
It depends how the DAW is set up.
In Hofa Master for example, if dither is on, it's gonna dither no matter the bit depth.
In Samp/Sequoïa, there is a "smart dither" function that switch the dither on only if the bit depth is above te destination file.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It depends how the DAW is set up.
In Hofa Master for example, if dither is on, it's gonna dither no matter the bit depth.
In Samp/Sequoïa, there is a "smart dither" function that switch the dither on only if the bit depth is above te destination file.
That makes sense.

But if the 24 bit version is at 48k or 96k SR then the client will have to use possibly questionable SRC and dither in whatever DAW they are using... So that advice would only apply if 24/44 masters had been delivered, no? I might prefer double dither over DIY SRC...
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
That makes sense.

But if the 24 bit version is at 48k or 96k SR then the client will have to use possibly questionable SRC and dither in whatever DAW they are using... So that advice would only apply if 24/44 masters had been delivered, no? I might prefer double dither over DIY SRC...
Oh yes, sure !!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
It should be an extremely simple matter for your mastering engineer to supply this edit version for you - in all formats needed. That's their job (supplying the final masters).

Also: Bit depth = bits per sample. Bit rate = bits per second.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Yes, I always call it word length, to avoid confusion. And it's a far better descriptor too.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Word length of bit = 3 letters.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

wow! thanks for all the replies. A lot of technical info I need to elaborate. Anyway, I use Reaper, if I understand correctly I should export the final master in the same bitrate of the originals (which is 16), be careful about crossfade and avoid dithering? (there is an option in Reaper to disable internal dithering)
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
If you alter those files in reaper the word length is automaticly changed to 32 Bit. Rendering those new file to 16 Bit again needs another dithering therefore.
Do yourself a favour and ask the ME about an edit. Its his job, you have paid him and he has send out two different versions to choose from for a reason, I think.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

No need for re-dithering if the levels remain untouched.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by evosilica View Post
No need for re-dithering if the levels remain untouched.

We are talking a crossfade here, so levels were indeed altered. See pics below.

I really wish ppl would think twice before posting or at least read the topic carefully. A lot of posts lately especially from those ppl posting anonym are just so unnecessary, the permanent questioning of the obvious is just so annoying and really kills my personal sake to still be helpful here and elsewhere in the www (and I bet Im far from being alone with that)...
Attached Thumbnails
Can I bounce two mastered tracks?-x-fade.jpg   Can I bounce two mastered tracks?-without-x-fade.jpg  
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ View Post

We are talking a crossfade here, so levels were indeed altered. See pics below.

I really wish ppl would think twice before posting or at least read the topic carefully. A lot of posts lately especially from those ppl posting anonym are just so unnecessary, the permanent questioning of the obvious is just so annoying and really kills my personal sake to still be helpful here and elsewhere in the www (and I bet Im far from being alone with that)...
The question is : Can you live with undithered material for the time of the crossfade ? 50ms ? 1 sec?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
The question is : Can you live with undithered material for the time of the crossfade ? 50ms ? 1 sec?
I dont think that is the question. The question is: "is the word length altered by doing a crossfade?" And the answer is: "yes".
I will not join a discussion about: " is dither necessary", because Im wise....

Last edited by JP__; 4 days ago at 03:46 PM..
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ View Post
If you alter those files in reaper the word length is automaticly changed to 32 Bit. Rendering those new file to 16 Bit again needs another dithering therefore.
Your post made it seem like you generally need to dither because of Reaper's internal 32bit conversion (isn't it 64 bit, nevermind), which is not true. If I misunderstood you, well sorry. It happens.

I missed the part where OP was talking about crossfades.
Still, dithering for a few milliseconds of crossfades, not important at all, nobody is ever going to actually hear that ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search