The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Passive High Pass filter for Cranesong STC-8 Side Chain Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 4 days ago
Mastering Engineer

Passive High Pass filter for Cranesong STC-8 Side Chain

Hi all.
I'm experiment with switching around my audio interfaces but without getting into reasons I'm now stuck without a side-chain EQ to go into my Cranesong STC-8.

As a quick fix I'm considering a very simple pair of passive High Pass Filters.

I'm looking at the Shure A15HP which has a roll off of 12dB per octave below 100Hz.

I'm unsure as to whether it will work with a line level though as it is designed to go before a mic.

Has anyone here any experience with these or anything similar. Remember it's just for the side-chain eq and not for the mastered audio.

Thanks

Fergal
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

dont know about that shure filter.

but i have made a passive 6db/oct highpass filter for my stc8 with a -3db corner at around 100hz.

its just 2 pairs of series connected film caps - with a value of 470nF - hooked up on some stripboard with a dsub connector.

i also put two jumper pins on there that can be bridged to engage the sidechain filter and to engage the fixed peak limit threshold that is supposed to protect your AD (hedd) from clipping.

i dont use it much though...
Old 3 days ago
I'm not sure if you have the rack space but have you considered a dbx graphic EQ or similar? Should work fine for a sidechain and, as well as a HPF (not sure of the frequency but depending on how much you spend you could even get a sweepable one) you'd have a lot more possibilities.
Old 3 days ago
We built this one for a user of the STC-8 and P3S ME.
Dave Hill sent me the specifics of the STC-8 side chain, so maybe if you contact him he might help you out.

I attached pics of my build. Might be helpful?

Roger
Attached Thumbnails
Passive High Pass filter for Cranesong STC-8 Side Chain-hpf_rear_500_crop_sm.jpg   Passive High Pass filter for Cranesong STC-8 Side Chain-hpf_front_500_crop_sm.jpg   Passive High Pass filter for Cranesong STC-8 Side Chain-inside_01.jpg  
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member

I used to use this when I had the STC
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Verified Member
if it can help
Attached Files
Old 3 days ago
Mastering Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostolos Siopis View Post

I used to use this when I had the STC
That's kind of what I need. I literally just need a 100Hz HPF for the moment as I rarely change it.

At the moment I actually do the sidechain EQ in my daw on an auxilliary routed out of a spare DA to the sidechain input on the STC8

This allows me to adjust the sidechain level and EQ from within my session. Works great as I never even have to adjust the threshold on the unit, just push a fader up and down to adjust the amount of compression.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search