The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What Are Your Go-To Combinations Of Clippers Limiters In 2018?
Old 27th January 2019
Gear Addict

lately, if needed, it'd be the clipper section of elevate.
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSauce View Post
TheMuzzl3 is on youtube teaching mastering outdoors

YouTube
Well that was enlightening. I skipped ahead to 2 hours 45 minutes in and was impressed how well the track stood up with 17 plug-ins stacked in Ableton Live... 17! I honestly didn't know that was possible.

Then he took his shirt off...

(Sorry Muzz, just yankin' yer chain a little )
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear
oh man. you couldn't make this stuff up.
Old 13th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
Well that was enlightening. I skipped ahead to 2 hours 45 minutes in and was impressed how well the track stood up with 17 plug-ins stacked in Ableton Live... 17! I honestly didn't know that was possible.

Then he took his shirt off...

(Sorry Muzz, just yankin' yer chain a little )
I took my shirt off? I hope I removed that video... lol. *EDIT* oh wow, I did. Hot stuff! It must have been summer. At least, I didn't forget that I was streaming, and get fully nude... you guys would be jerkin it!

*EDIT again* --it looks like more plugins than it was... 12 were activated at one point (4 or 5 were groupings in ableton), and several of those got turned off before end result. My mastering work has come a long way, since then... but I think the video did show some decent techniques.

Since then, I've moved to REAPER... and I generally run less plugins unless they're smaller things (like Airwindows plugins... which may have been the case in the video you speak of, if there was 17 plugins). The airwindows plugins do very little processing (both CPU, and math algorithms) -- so you can use more of them, they do 1 specific thing, and there are less BITs lost (so 17 plugins in sequence, all airwindows... isn't going to sound bad, especially after the new ditherfloat update).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSauce View Post
TheMuzzl3 is on youtube teaching mastering outdoors

YouTube
After the aforementioned has been stated, it sounded like I wasn't "teaching mastering," so much in that video, as I was "experimenting with different possible techniques that I was searching for." I haven't really done "teaching" streams too much, and if I did mislabel the title... I may have decided to do experiments instead. There is one, I believe, where I run through a chain... but I can't stream with my normal chain (CPU issues -- which is not as bad, now that I use REAPER -- still, OBS eats up 20-50% CPU). Still a noob on OBS... eventually, I'll stream and just show chains of work that I previously did (instead of going through the process from start to 50% finished).

My recent streams are experiments with Airwindows uLaw. Its much more entertaining than me taking my shirt off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggs View Post
oh man. you couldn't make this stuff up.
Correction, YOU couldn't make this stuff up. :P

Me? I gets paids$ whilez teachin yous foo'z & takinz my shirtz offseses.

I accept donations )
Old 13th February 2019
Lives for gear

Hey Muzz,

if it ain't fi'ty 'nyamastafada it ain't worth taking ya robes man!

Krešo
Old 13th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by biksonije View Post
Hey Muzz,

if it ain't fi'ty 'nyamastafada it ain't worth taking ya robes man!

Krešo
Some one paid me to take it off. I won't say who

Oh, btw, I was thinking of you, earlier.

I'm about to start streaming, and I'm going to attempt to show one of my recent mastering chains... and, if my CPU doesn't blow up too fast, I might be able to do some tests for comparing limiters / plugins...

But, I'm doing this uLaw/Dither/Alias/Artifact/Truncate experiment, so I will try to just quickly show something at the beginning.

Tune in to my twitch.tv/theMuzzl3 -- or the youtube, linked above.

Starting now... but not very organized.
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

Uhhh... I hope you were NOT thinking of me while taking your shirt off!

Krešo
Old 20th February 2019
I keep it all analogue but I use an M-A-S by Overstayer, Limit One by Rockruepel maybe some Black Box HG-2 or LTL Silverbullet and definitely the Anamod ATS. Among Compression and EQ. Lately I haven't touched a plug in. No surprise there
Old 5th July 2019
Soundwise I like Boz Big Clipper the most, I kinda like what KClip is doing in multiband for superloud music cases by combinig clip types, Airwindows clips are solid too and very ok clipping introduces Elevate. Now I am demoing new VennAudio V-Clip and it's hardclip mode is nice and somehow fat. One of the best clippers is digital 0 dbFS DAW's internal, for example Cubase has lovely clipping

Some clippers sound better cutting few dBs than others, some sound better when cutting hell of a lot than others, so...

It is "just" clipping, they are different approaches to it, but at the end of the day I lost too much time by choosing "most transparent" clipper and limiter and "greatest color/character" clipper and limiter, when for music, there are much more important stages of production... there are all the time coming new clips and in some cases I was just more than happy with good old GClip
Old 5th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentstressor View Post
One of the best clippers is digital 0 dbFS DAW's internal, for example Cubase has lovely clipping
How does Cubase work? Does the mixbus clip or do you have to bounce out the file to find out what it actually sounds like? In Logic the mixbus has insane floating point headroom so if you want to "clip" logic you have to bounce out a 24-bit file. I noticed doing this sounds pretty open and punchy and has its own subtle vibe compared to using some clipping plugs.

This got me thinking...it would be amazing in daws to pick the bit-depth of the mixbus. 32-bit float is useful, especially for the producer/writer types, but it would be great to be able to have the mixbus sound exactly the same as when you bounce out a file and to be able to audition the daw's clipping vs other plugins.

I should test whether Logic's bit-crusher plugin set to 24-bit nulls with bouncing the mixbus clipping.
Old 5th July 2019
The Overstayer Modular into the Vertigo VSM sounds pretty wild too.
Old 5th July 2019
Lives for gear

I thought this Thread was dead. And then, out of the blue, another post goes...

Where's that OP? C'mon, it's summer in these parts, in Europe. Just the right time for another shirt taking off. Right?

Maybe Muzzle's season is winter right now? C'mon, where ya at man?!

Krešo

PS: to the OP - don't think of me man while undressign for the world's greatest audience!
Old 5th July 2019
Lives for gear

I use standard clip into ozone
Old 6th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
How does Cubase work? Does the mixbus clip or do you have to bounce out the file to find out what it actually sounds like? In Logic the mixbus has insane floating point headroom so if you want to "clip" logic you have to bounce out a 24-bit file. I noticed doing this sounds pretty open and punchy and has its own subtle vibe compared to using some clipping plugs.

This got me thinking...it would be amazing in daws to pick the bit-depth of the mixbus. 32-bit float is useful, especially for the producer/writer types, but it would be great to be able to have the mixbus sound exactly the same as when you bounce out a file and to be able to audition the daw's clipping vs other plugins.

I should test whether Logic's bit-crusher plugin set to 24-bit nulls with bouncing the mixbus clipping.
Well at least in my version of Cubase 10.0.20 (anyway, I think it was always like that) during 24bit/44.1kHz project, you hear clipping immediately when you cross zero at master (you can call it mixbus only when you mix into it, no? right?);

channels have headroom, of course, but master channel cannot, as it works as a "digital printer", so the same distortion I hear on master I hear in bounced file, which I just put back on tracks (so yes, you have to render master channel, not separate channels)

if I am not mistaken, Logic does that too, when you uncheck all the safety options like normalize and no-clip (last version of Logic I used was 9-something so I have no idea how it is these days)

But don't get me wrong, the clipping introduced by DAW is nothing desirable or nice usually, only sometimes, for example when I want synth to stand out, it just fits like ass on toilet seat
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search