The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What Are Your Go-To Combinations Of Clippers Limiters In 2018?
Old 15th October 2018
Lives for gear
s'all good. for a brief period of time i was getting really into volume automating stray peaks....just trying to be as invisible as possible. and lots of times it works great. but there were some occasions where it sounded weird and the machines handled it better. i was as surprised as anyone!

gotta say, since getting a hardware HG-2 this is pretty much a total non-issue
Old 15th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggs View Post
s'all good. for a brief period of time i was getting really into volume automating stray peaks....just trying to be as invisible as possible. and lots of times it works great. but there were some occasions where it sounded weird and the machines handled it better. i was as surprised as anyone!

gotta say, since getting a hardware HG-2 this is pretty much a total non-issue

It's quite amazing how much compression you can get with saturation before it starts sounding distorted. And no time constants = no pumping/ducking.
Old 15th October 2018
Lives for gear
yep! it works great. the HG-2 will crackle if you're being stupid with it, but if you gain stage it sensibly it'll give you a lot of really nice sounding level. and you can then ease up on the clipping/limiting afterwards. win win.
Old 16th October 2018
I've been using ADClip 7 more often, lately. It does well. I would probably use StandardCLIP the most, but it seems to cause my REAPER to stop responding. I recently switched to REAPER, from Ableton, because I can run nearly twice as many plugins in one chain before my CPU max's out.

Here is a quote from Chris J of airwindows, that cleared up some stuff that I was wondering about his clippers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj
I don't like using that much processing: THREE layers of Ozone? I do suggest working slow to fast as far as stacking mastering processors, but I don't tend to actually do it. My clippers (including ADClip) do a thing where they soften the transition into and out of clipping (except OneCornerClip, which softens the entry and ignores the exit), and that's different from other options including oversampling. You could say Airwindows clippers are reshaping the wave rather than trying to work out how to accurately do all the harmonics and not alias: Airwindows stuff intentionally avoids generating the harmonics in the first place and darkens the 'clip zone' more than you'd see in a heavily oversampled clipper. Because of the design, I get to do that while retaining all non-clipping samples unaltered. I feel that oversampling and overprocessing alters the samples too much.
Pretty much sums it up.

I still have to render twice, if I use a lot of stuff... to get a detailed mastering job done... but the 2nd render is just 2 limiters and ADClip 7 in between (or maybe NC-17 if I want to push loudness and get crazy). I've been still using 2 ozone maximizers (one slow, before clipper, last one fast). I'm giving Eventide Elevate an official chance but it is hard to dial in and can do so many different flavors that its hard to pick which is best. It can act transparently as well. I will give DMG Limitless a shot, when I have more time to study. A few others are on my list of ones limiters to try and compare. AOM Invisible Limiter, Fabfilter Pro-L 2 (probably going to not use this as I kind of didn't like the previous version), FLUX Elixer, and Voxengo Elephant (is good for live performances, all though Ozone 8 now has a low CPU usage IRC mode). I'll give TDR Limiter No 6 another shot, as well.

Sonnox Limiter and EZMix by Tunetrack didn't make my cut.

I'll stay open to new suggestions, but I am going to try to narrow it down to 2-4 that I always use... and learn then very well.

Waves L2, for me, is ancient history. It'd be nice if Waves put out something that could compete with Elevate.
Old 28th October 2018
Lives for gear
Venn Audio's freeclip isn't mentioned, utility plug-in is also worth a check; Free Clip | Venn Audio

I'm still experimenting but seems like a keeper
Old 28th October 2018
adl
Lives for gear

Doing Trap Music lately and couldn´t achieve that typical crunchy / distorted kick a long time. Now i finally figure it out: Fabfilter Pro-L2 into StandardClip does the job for me.
I was experimenting with StandardClip alone previously, but didn´t get this crunch. With the a Limiter before the Clipper it sounds like it should.

This was the first track i finally got it right (imho):
Shorty by mr.adl | Mr Adl | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 24th December 2018
I also posted this in the "mastering with airwindows plugins topic":

Call me an experimental mastering engineer, or nubsauce, if you like...

and definitely have a LOL...

But, this combo sounds friggin great:

First clipper, 0.1 to 0.3 dB of GR... ADClip7 is my first choice

First ozone limiter, very fast character, usually IRC IV Modern, but sometimes classic or transient... 0.1 to 0.5 dB of GR.

Second (usually final) clipper, 0.1 to 1.2 dB of GR, OneCornerClip is my first choice

*if needed for loudness wars and further shaping* -- third clipper, ADClip7 is 1st choice and NC-17 is an alternative, 0.1 to 0.8 dB of clipping... can go after the next step, which is:

Second limiter... DMG Limitless (2 clippers in 1, customized transparent settings), clipper on this is always off... 0.5 to 3.5 dB of GR... usually 0.8

Last limiter, Ozone Maximizer... slow character (as slow as possible, dial threshold to 1 to 3 and then make it faster until it no longer distorts; and then dial the threshold back to -0.1 to -0.5) -- this helps to make each band sound clear & kind of separated; but most importantly, it pushes the bass through in a certain way in which... if you heard it several times, then if you hear a song with this tool on it... then you know what it is & nothing else (in my experience) sounds like it.

For a quick tool to use on master buss, for rendering mixes before sending to a mastering engineer (of even to quickly get things to Youtube or other loudness levels), I recommend AirWindows Righteous4.

Also, in case y'all are doubting that my choices of clippers is awesome, keep in mind that I used KClip Pro for years, and I have a decent amount of mileage on the good ol' StandardCLIP (thought to be the industry leader in digital clippers plugins?). If my choices pf clippers above aren't sounding super awesome, and if I have the CPU to spare, then I'll still try out StandardCLIP. I have yet to render with StandardCLIP at high over-sampling, and A/B test it against one or more AirWindows clippers... but I challenge anybody to prove that StandardCLIP sounds superior (even with the huge amount of CPU hogging of over-sampling going on).

However, also keep in mind that I do not have my hands on the Weiss DS1-MK3 by Softube; and it is the one that is probably the best, judging by what I have read. Ozone 7 and 8, and DMG Limitless will always have their uses, however... the Weiss one probably is superior in most cases, but possibly if combined with others... *IMHO* 4 limiters can be better than 2, in many cases... but I do understand that, in my own noobish/lamens' wording, "if more math happens," then "more BITs are lost or changed from 1 to 0."

I have yet to A/B the above system against either just 1 Limitless or just 2 Ozone Maximizers. If I want more transparency, I'll use just Limitless, or I'll do less GR with the Ozone Maximizers and/or ADClip7's/NC-17.
Old 4th January 2019
Gear Head

guys you are insane
Old 4th January 2019
Here for the gear

seldom looking at numbers but if i am doing edm stuff (itb) then yeah, i clip early in the chain . usually after corrective eq's. definetely more than i clip at the end. limiter is never working too much.

kclip is legit

peace
Old 7th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by busty_audio View Post
seldom looking at numbers but if i am doing edm stuff (itb) then yeah, i clip early in the chain . usually after corrective eq's. definetely more than i clip at the end. limiter is never working too much.

kclip is legit

peace
Have you tried airwindows clippers or compared KClip to others?

Have you tried clipping before and after limiter?

What types of things do you place after your first clipper?

Would you hardclip before or after softclip?

KClip was my go-to for a long while. I was impressed when I switched to StandardCLIP... and I was actually shocked to determine that something could be better than KClip.

Both of those are very nice, but I have since then switched to airwindows OneCornerClip, ADClip7 and (rarely) NC17. And, again, I am shocked... especially given that they're free.

The reason for switching is mainly to use less CPU, but I would argue that they also sound possibly better (opinion) in many cases and the algorithms in place are more efficient than the normal practices of "oversample it 256 times and then its better," that I used in the past.

I do like the multiband functionality of KClip 3 Pro, and I'll mention ClipShifter in this line, but I find it to be not my go-to tool any more. Both for CPU, and over-all sound quality for settings that are getting it as loud as possible before starting to break.
Old 8th January 2019
Here for the gear

> clippers clip. that's it . kclip gets the job done pretty nice

> i do that . final cliper is doing 1% though. i like limiter 6 for that a lot. that's free too

> exciting stuff , working those clip'd dynamics to the death, tone, that sort of things

> hard clip is my homeboy for edm

imho no clipper brand will make that waveform sound better bro
my 2c
Old 8th January 2019
Deleted 691ca21
Clipping might not make the waveform sound better, but it can certainly be completely invisible if used sparingly on many sources.
Old 8th January 2019
Here for the gear

agreed

i find that 9 out of 10 though, invisible is not the goal in edm .. heheh
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear

Aren't insane loud distorted kicks, snares, basslines, etc... exactly the product of trying to get louder than loud but be within the specs?

If you ask me, ibsanely loud and distorted kick is produced that way. Especially in before mentioned EDM and/or Trap music styles.

Meh.... In any style really. Right?

Krešo
Old 10th January 2019
Check out my comment, here:

Softube Launches Official Weiss DS1-MK3 Mastering Plug-in

Quote:
Originally Posted by busty_audio View Post
> clippers clip. that's it . kclip gets the job done pretty nice

imho no clipper brand will make that waveform sound better bro
my 2c
Depends on how much clipping, the type of clipping, and whether its being used to loudenate or do other things... and also (probably more so) depending on the source material behavior of frequencies, dynamic range, volume difference between the 1-3 loudest peaks and the other peaks (ie mixes that have flaws in 1-3 spots, where true peaks weren't considered by the mixing engineer)... also the feeling and style of music, etc.

Example: hardclip or OneCornerClip before something like a dynamic EQ or a glue-and/or-MB-compressor stage (a transparent combo, possibly on a parallel buss or mixed in at less than 100% wet)... clip as much as you can with out getting distortion, then apply whatever you want to be applied to the signal that is more towards RMS than it is loudest peaks or true peaks... then re-introduce 100% of the audio that you removed with the pre-clipping (or perhaps re-introduce 95% if you want this to also keep some of the clipping). Result: dynamic EQ that doesn't act so much on the peaks, or a "glue setting" that works more on the average loudness while allowing purity of the true peaks to come through.

****EDIT****
I had said that this could increase dynamic range, but I think that is incorrect. It would just be allowing shaved off peaks to pass through with out the compression/EQ. Perhaps Tube saturation could increase dynamics by smoothing out the RMS areas and allow peaks through.

Alternatively, you could reverse the behavior of the above chain, and allow just the clipped only signal into whatever coloring/taming effects that you'd like to apply to only a certain amount of the highest peaks.
**END EDIT******

You could use tape/tube/triode/warm/dark/digital/combos styles of harmonics, with such processing... and you could also do it in mid-side splitting parallel processing to take it even further.

You could use more than one type of clipper, as well. For example, ADClip7 or KClip for doing 0.1 to 0.8 of clips in a multiband and tone shaping way, and a broadband type like OneCornerClip or a hardclip for doing 0.3 to 2.4.... push it as far as you can until getting distortion and then dial it back further... or you could be more like me, push it to distorting, then push it some more... lol.
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear

SIR StandardCLIP and Toneboosters Barricade 4 (which has a soft and hard clip, among other input modelling algorhythms,
in the input section + an optional pre-compressor)

These two serve me well most of the time.

BTW: Anyone occasionally using StandardClip in Softclip mode? I do occasionally with very, very dialed in
(max. at 25) IF some additional mojo is needed.
Old 11th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot View Post
SIR StandardCLIP and Toneboosters Barricade 4 (which has a soft and hard clip, among other input modelling algorhythms,
in the input section + an optional pre-compressor)

These two serve me well most of the time.

BTW: Anyone occasionally using StandardClip in Softclip mode? I do occasionally with very, very dialed in
(max. at 25) IF some additional mojo is needed.
I had tried Barricade at some point (might have been 3), and I found it to be OK but not my favorite. It got smooshed into the large list of "I own it, but haven't loaded it up in a long time." I'll give it another chance.

I will give StandardCLIP another chance as well is it might be better for over-all ability to be useful across a wide variety of material... with drawback of CPU hogging in higher oversample modes.
Old 11th January 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I used to use the Virtual Precision Instruments Loudness Maximizer in combination with the FabFilter Pro-L. The VPI LM still holds up really well given its age (and price) and it's something few people have. It's won a lot of client audition shootouts. It's the last 32 bit plug that sees use here because it's so well written and fast to get right.
The FF L2 is very good but I can usually get where I need to go these days with just Limitless 95% of the time. Fully understanding what Limitless can do, and it's a lot, really helps. It's a deep processor if you want to dive in to it and it's worth the time and effort. Processing done before the limiter makes a big difference in where you can end up, if the mix is conducive to it. Not all mixes are.
Old 11th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMuzzl3 View Post
What are your go-to combinations of clipping and limiting plugins? How do you use them? When do you use them? What is the ordering of your chain? What parameter settings do you find to often be the sweet spots? Which plugins are "honorable mentions," for you?
Hey there Muzzl3,

would you be so king making a few waveform screenshots of your finished mastered (produced, finished thru all the way) things/tunes/tracks? Please?

I mean, after that much stuff residing at the very end I would really like to see complete track waveform (image). I am so curious.

Would that be too much trouble if I may ask?

Thank you very, very much in advance!

Krešo
Old 11th January 2019
Lives for gear
I might politely suggest that a link to something we could listen to would be more instructive.
Old 11th January 2019
Deleted 691ca21
Even better, post the source file, post the target loudness, and we could all have a go and compare results.
Old 11th January 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 691ca21 View Post
Even better, post the source file, post the target loudness, and we could all have a go and compare results.
Oh yes !
That's what I was thinking about
Old 11th January 2019
Lives for gear

All outboard these days and loving it!!

Bettermaker Mastering Limiter (clipping 1-2db) -> Dangerous AD+ (clipping 1-2db) -> Hardware L2 (no gain reduction, only -0.1 hard ceiling) -> HEDD DSP -> Commit print to DAW. Just don't feel like I have to do a lot anymore to get the sound and level I want.
Old 26th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by biksonije View Post
Hey there Muzzl3,

would you be so king making a few waveform screenshots of your finished mastered (produced, finished thru all the way) things/tunes/tracks? Please?

I mean, after that much stuff residing at the very end I would really like to see complete track waveform (image). I am so curious.

Would that be too much trouble if I may ask?

Thank you very, very much in advance!

Krešo
Eventually, I would like to do this. Is there specific examples of what you would like compared? The main reason why I hold back on doing this is because I feel like most of the time, the best tool isn't always the same one that works best in 90%+ of the cases... in other words, it always depends on the source material. The second reason why I haven't done it, is because I waste way too much time typing way too much... and the third is: I'm spending more time reading what others' type, and resting my ears as much as possible. Also, my system is in a constant state of change, so I'd have to list my mastering chain for every before/after example... unless I did an album with just 1 system and stuck to it.

I may do some live streaming, while comparing plugins... if my CPU can handle it. I've got some new A/B comparison tools to test out, as well. The chances of me posting audio examples is fairly slim, because I'm always working on clients' songs... and (trust me), you wouldn't want to hear me testing things on my own songs.

Also, I am mostly focused on figuring out my EQ situation, right now... and I am in the middle of kind of "rebuilding" my standard-ish mastering chain. I have my clipping stages fairly well figured out, but I am also trying to develop a system of something along the lines of: clip/limit/clip/limit/limit (to make it short)... and so most of my tests are ones where I am combining multiple tools, rather than comparing 1 vs another.

I struggle with CPU issues, and so I am trying to find a balance that works for me. For a long while, I have been rendering once, then doing the limiters & rendering twice... or going back & adding them to the first project and rendering... and it just doesn't work at all because I'm not hearing how small adjustments cause differences in how the limiters behave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post
This is the best idea. I would suggest that we might want to chose 2 to 5 source files, of varying genres.

Rap, rock, EDM/techno/trap/dubstep, accoustic, and perhaps drone? Perhaps, source material with high dynamic range, and another source with low... one with heavy bass, and one accoustic?

I also suggest that we make 2 or 3 loudness target levels for each example. For example, Invisible Limiter + OneCornerClip + Voxengo Elephant might sound better at -11 to -14 LUFS, where as (maybe) a clipper + DMG Limitless might win at -9 LUFS, andOzone Maximizer + ADClip7 + OneCornerClip + DMG Limitless might sound the best when we push it to rediculously -6 LUFS, or something.

I could post a noise track of my own, but nobody wants that.

Questions:

Where should we host the files?

Should we limit our chains to ONLY clippers and limiters, with no compressors that aren't considered to be limiters? Problem that I see with this: the clippers/limiters are always going to act differently, depending on the rest of our chain (ie, dynamic eq, glue compression, soothe, deedger, defilter, etc).

Should we restrict our comparisons to using only one limiter or clipper? Or, should we use 1 clipper + 1 limiter? Problem I see: DMG Limitless has 2 limiters built into it. Weiss DS1-MK3 has a compressor and a clipper/limiter, which act as two halves of one algorithm.
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Eventually, I would like to do this. Is there specific examples of what you would like compared? The main reason why I hold back on doing this is because I feel like most of the time, the best tool isn't always the same one that works best in 90%+ of the cases... in other words, it always depends on the source material. The second reason why I haven't done it, is because I waste way too much time typing way too much... and the third is: I'm spending more time reading what others' type, and resting my ears as much as possible. Also, my system is in a constant state of change, so I'd have to list my mastering chain for every before/after example... unless I did an album with just 1 system and stuck to it.

I may do some live streaming, while comparing plugins... if my CPU can handle it. I've got some new A/B comparison tools to test out, as well. The chances of me posting audio examples is fairly slim, because I'm always working on clients' songs... and (trust me), you wouldn't want to hear me testing things on my own songs.

Also, I am mostly focused on figuring out my EQ situation, right now... and I am in the middle of kind of "rebuilding" my standard-ish mastering chain. I have my clipping stages fairly well figured out, but I am also trying to develop a system of something along the lines of: clip/limit/clip/limit/limit (to make it short)... and so most of my tests are ones where I am combining multiple tools, rather than comparing 1 vs another.

I struggle with CPU issues, and so I am trying to find a balance that works for me. For a long while, I have been rendering once, then doing the limiters & rendering twice... or going back & adding them to the first project and rendering... and it just doesn't work at all because I'm not hearing how small adjustments cause differences in how the limiters behave.

This is the best idea. I would suggest that we might want to chose 2 to 5 source files, of varying genres.

Rap, rock, EDM/techno/trap/dubstep, accoustic, and perhaps drone? Perhaps, source material with high dynamic range, and another source with low... one with heavy bass, and one accoustic?

I also suggest that we make 2 or 3 loudness target levels for each example. For example, Invisible Limiter + OneCornerClip + Voxengo Elephant might sound better at -11 to -14 LUFS, where as (maybe) a clipper + DMG Limitless might win at -9 LUFS, andOzone Maximizer + ADClip7 + OneCornerClip + DMG Limitless might sound the best when we push it to rediculously -6 LUFS, or something.

I could post a noise track of my own, but nobody wants that.

Questions:

Where should we host the files?

Should we limit our chains to ONLY clippers and limiters, with no compressors that aren't considered to be limiters? Problem that I see with this: the clippers/limiters are always going to act differently, depending on the rest of our chain (ie, dynamic eq, glue compression, soothe, deedger, defilter, etc).

Should we restrict our comparisons to using only one limiter or clipper? Or, should we use 1 clipper + 1 limiter? Problem I see: DMG Limitless has 2 limiters built into it. Weiss DS1-MK3 has a compressor and a clipper/limiter, which act as two halves of one algorithm.
Hahaha... Ooooh man! You are really something! You made me laugh now soooo good. Nobody made me laugh like that for a long, long time. I'll tell you this. More power to you man! Really!

Answering:

A) me first because you quoted me first: I lost any and all reason for anything. You don't need to make any screenshot of your produced waveform with trillion plugs on your final step. I'm out of here man. And this Thread! As I said, more power to you. This is public forum. Do whatever you feel like and no bad blood here. I just adore your long posts. I will be watching still! Best to you man! ;-)

PS: Thou, I have to say just one thing. In your profile I saw some "back line" so I got to say man - you ARE NOT mr and I am MOS DEF NOT YOU! :-)

B) To Hermetech:
Are you having fun? Ready to give up? Or give in? Hahahahaha... Oh man, what should we do? I am having a blast and Muzzl3, our friend, must be kep as a drop of water on a palm under a desert sun!

Best regards to all fellow Slutz here and especially to you my friend! May you never give up on your writing and music in the first place! Peace!!!

Krešo
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 691ca21 View Post
I'm so going to wait your reply and your insight on this phenomenal Thread! I see you've been quoted. Anxious. Anxious. Anxious...

Regards,

Krešo
Old 26th January 2019
Quote:
Hahaha... Ooooh man! You are really something! You made me laugh now soooo good. Nobody made me laugh like that for a long, long time. I'll tell you this. More power to you man! Really!

Answering:

A) me first because you quoted me first: I lost any and all reason for anything. You don't need to make any screenshot of your produced waveform with trillion plugs on your final step. I'm out of here man. And this Thread! As I said, more power to you. This is public forum. Do whatever you feel like and no bad blood here. I just adore your long posts. I will be watching still! Best to you man! ;-)

PS: Thou, I have to say just one thing. In your profile I saw some "back line" so I got to say man - you ARE NOT mr and I am MOS DEF NOT YOU! :-)
Meh. Not feeling the 'oneness'? If you don't want me to post about my journey, then no need to ask for A/B links from me! Were you being sarcastic, from the beginning? Or, did you actually want me to post sound results from my chains?

Yah, no... I'm not saying that my chain will have a bunch of plugins on it. I'm just interested in trying many and comparing them, in order to decide which ones to use with more regularity (based on resulting sound, user interface, time required to dial in, etc). I'm currently going through a transformation.

Not trying to be a dick, but I appreciate that you are reading & responding; even if its meant to be sarcastic or for putting me down.

That said, I'll conclude with this:
In my normal chains of recent, I've been doing this:

(sometimes) just a HPF towards beginning of chain (Airwindows Hermepass)
One subtractive static Ozone EQ, digital (linear)
One subtractive Ozone dynamic EQ
Then, harmonics coloration & possibly glue compression or other stuff... followed by additive Kush Clariphonic MKII
Lastly, 1-2 TDR Nova's to do final cleaning before limiters.
Optionally, TDR DeEdger (does this count as EQ?)

And, if the above isn't a better result... then I can use none of the above, or 1-3 of them.
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Meh. Not feeling the 'oneness'? If you don't want me to post about my journey, then no need to ask for A/B links from me! Were you being sarcastic, from the beginning? Or, did you actually want me to post sound results from my chains?

Yah, no... I'm not saying that my chain will have a bunch of plugins on it. I'm just interested in trying many and comparing them, in order to decide which ones to use with more regularity (based on resulting sound, user interface, time required to dial in, etc). I'm currently going through a transformation.

Not trying to be a dick, but I appreciate that you are reading & responding; even if its meant to be sarcastic or for putting me down.

That said, I'll conclude with this:
In my normal chains of recent, I've been doing this:

(sometimes) just a HPF towards beginning of chain (Airwindows Hermepass)
One subtractive static Ozone EQ, digital (linear)
One subtractive Ozone dynamic EQ
Then, harmonics coloration & possibly glue compression or other stuff... followed by additive Kush Clariphonic MKII
Lastly, 1-2 TDR Nova's to do final cleaning before limiters.
Optionally, TDR DeEdger (does this count as EQ?)

And, if the above isn't a better result... then I can use none of the above, or 1-3 of them.
Heeeeey Muzzl3!

How are you my friend?! Hope you're slamming it! ;-)

Look, I was NOT trying to be nor have been sarcastic. All I said was post a few screenshots showing your Mastered Tracks with that ton of stuff. That is what I wanted to see. Is that so hard? Well of course that I was really intersted seeing how does they look! Not only me but many others here as you could see for yourself. Instead you go deeper in philosophy. OK. Your prerrogative. I dig that. It's OK. I became sarcastic afterwards. I admit that! Hope you won't take it the wrong way. As you have your right to (almost) write and think as you see fit so do I. Therefore I apologize if I crossed the line. I just couldn't help it. Sorry.

I will say this outloud now and publicly. I think you didn't understand both my question and interest in showing your waveform image (I'm talking about level and dynamics here) as well as from other users here who also work this for a long time. Professionally. The real question is why. But I leave that to you.

Read your long post (one or two back in this Thread) and think about it. Are you trying to post a few waveform screenshots or avoiding the fact by answering with yet another question?

Keep up the good work man and don't stop doing what you're doing!

Best regards to you man and all you Slutz here!

Krešo
Old 27th January 2019
Quote:
Heeeeey Muzzl3!

How are you my friend?! Hope you're slamming it! ;-)

Look, I was NOT trying to be nor have been sarcastic. All I said was post a few screenshots showing your Mastered Tracks with that ton of stuff. That is what I wanted to see. Is that so hard? Well of course that I was really intersted seeing how does they look! Not only me but many others here as you could see for yourself. Instead you go deeper in philosophy. OK. Your prerrogative. I dig that. It's OK. I became sarcastic afterwards. I admit that! Hope you won't take it the wrong way. As you have your right to (almost) write and think as you see fit so do I. Therefore I apologize if I crossed the line. I just couldn't help it. Sorry.

I will say this outloud now and publicly. I think you didn't understand both my question and interest in showing your waveform image (I'm talking about level and dynamics here) as well as from other users here who also work this for a long time. Professionally. The real question is why. But I leave that to you.

Read your long post (one or two back in this Thread) and think about it. Are you trying to post a few waveform screenshots or avoiding the fact by answering with yet another question?

Keep up the good work man and don't stop doing what you're doing!

Best regards to you man and all you Slutz here!

Krešo
Ahh, no worries! I initially thought that you were being sincere about requesting screen shots and audio examples. I promise to work on doing that, soon... been kinda digging around for an example that is decent and has given permissions from the artist. I found one... hope you like rap music! I'll be using this track to do a shoot-out competition topic that is open to others doing their own tests, as Hermetech had suggested. I just haven't figured out exactly how to structure the topic (maximum simple, or more options in comparing more than 1 limiter/clipper combinations, various loudness targets, various track material types... and then, who really has the time to do all of that?)...

Later on, when I detected possible sarcasm, then I wasn't sure if the first post was also being within the same nature.

You didn't over-step, and I appreciate the honesty in your post.

I do understand what visual representations of waveforms are, as well as sophisticated and modern loudness readers which use the new LUFS (integrated, short-term, and maximum momentary) loudness measurements relative to full scale, and true peak behavior. I have several loudness meters, but I've been mostly sticking to iZotope's Insight, just out of habit (not that its the best one). It is very accurate, more so than some others that I've tested.

The main reason why I haven't bothered posting examples of my previous chains is because my chains are rarely the same, and are constantly being modified & updated... and, currently, I am in more of an "update and compare" mode, rather than a "stick to my previously working standardized workflow techniques and get the mastering jobs done." Another reason is that I always feel like my work from 4 months ago isn't as good as what I have done more recently... and then lastly, it is bothersome for my clients for me to ask the question "can I leak your track on gearslutz?"
Old 27th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hahaha... Ooooh man! You are really something!
TheMuzzl3 is on youtube teaching mastering outdoors

YouTube
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search