The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Analog Tape Emulation 2018 (Hardware)
Old 5th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypalm View Post
how would I know? Well aside from a part time gig mixing, mastering and producing, I'm a pro audio repair tech. I calibrate tape machines and restore vintage synths,
Those that can, do. Those that can't, fix stuff for those that can.

Lol "part time mixing, mastering, and producing"
Old 6th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Zulu is a fantastic tape emulation. Sounds better than $3000 boxes
And those $3k boxes are??
Old 7th January 2020
Gear Nut

I already posted this in the Zulu thread, but I think maybe it's interesting here too

I uploaded 2 files, one with ZULU as the last device on the Mixbus in front of the limiter, one without ZULU. I tried to match the level.

Because the song is an official release, it would be nice if someone thanked the artist for permission and listened to the original (Just follow the link: https://cutt.ly/Xritxp9)
Attached Files
Old 9th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Zulu is a fantastic tape emulation. Sounds better than $3000 boxes. And how would I know? Well aside from a part time gig mixing, mastering and producing, I'm a pro audio repair tech. I calibrate tape machines and restore vintage synths, blah blah. I've worked on the $5000 boxes and the $500 boxes. I own some of the $3000 boxes and the $300 boxes. I have a very well calibrated Teac A3440.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
And those $3k boxes are??
So, 'crickets' on those $3k tape emulation boxes the Zulu supposedly sounds "better" than??

Also, a Teac A3440 is a consumer grade tape machine, regardless of how well it's calibrated.
Old 13th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCroskey View Post
I already posted this in the Zulu thread, but I think maybe it's interesting here too

I uploaded 2 files, one with ZULU as the last device on the Mixbus in front of the limiter, one without ZULU. I tried to match the level.

Because the song is an official release, it would be nice if someone thanked the artist for permission and listened to the original (Just follow the link: https://cutt.ly/Xritxp9)
Thanks for posting that. It does sound good! Right off the bat I hear increased dimension and a nice solid fat bottom end. The high end sounds pretty sweet as well. This does the 3D thing better than any emulation I've heard to date. Impressive.
Old 24th June 2020
Lives for gear
So Zulu's been out for a while, lotta folks have had a chance to listen to it. Seems the (now) $4000 box is so rare, it's hard to say if its a viable option to even find one anymore, they sell out an hour after posted online.

What's the best hardware tape sim these days? Anyone using Roger Mayer 456? Zulu the best, too heavy handed, best mixed in parallel? Does any of the software compare to the hardware these days? Taupe, IK Multimedia, UHE Satin, J37?
Old 24th June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthepuggle View Post
So Zulu's been out for a while, lotta folks have had a chance to listen to it. Seems the (now) $4000 box is so rare, it's hard to say if its a viable option to even find one anymore, they sell out an hour after posted online.

What's the best hardware tape sim these days? Anyone using Roger Mayer 456? Zulu the best, too heavy handed, best mixed in parallel? Does any of the software compare to the hardware these days? Taupe, IK Multimedia, UHE Satin, J37?
I use the zulu everyday in my mixing on the mixbus exclusively and it always shows out in spectacular fashion. The enhance knobs at 3'oclock always do it for me. No complaints from anyone from indie to label work so rock on!
Old 24th June 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
Quote:
Originally Posted by illsoulprod View Post
I use the zulu everyday in my mixing on the mixbus exclusively and it always shows out in spectacular fashion. The enhance knobs at 3'oclock always do it for me. No complaints from anyone from indie to label work so rock on!
Bias at 9 o clock then? Guessing Pro + EX?
Old 24th June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Bias at 9 o clock then? Guessing Pro + EX?
12 o'clock on the bias everything on the cleanest setting (mastering as the manual suggest) with enhance at 3 o'clock and mix into it.
Old 25th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCroskey View Post

Sounds like transformers. Is that whats inside it?
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear
yeah id just go get the colour modules from DIYRE - im sure the Zulu is great - I haven't hard anything that made me want one and am baffled at the hype - nebula sounds very good and im sure there is a Zulu program for it
Has anyone seen inside the Zulu?
Old 8th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
yeah id just go get the colour modules from DIYRE - im sure the Zulu is great - I haven't hard anything that made me want one and am baffled at the hype - nebula sounds very good and im sure there is a Zulu program for it
Has anyone seen inside the Zulu?
Yea...no.
The colour series isn't in the same ball park with the zulu and I have a few colours from everyone that makes them. I promise you that what the zulu delivers you're not gonna fully find anywhere else. At least not for the price.
4 tape types, 3 tape decks, full bias knobs, harmonic enhancer controls and dynamic headroom control and for those who don't know my favorite surprise: you can also use it as a limiter.
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
Quote:
Yea...no.
The colour series isn't in the same ball park with the zulu and I have a few colours from everyone that makes them. I promise you that what the zulu delivers you're not gonna fully find anywhere else. At least not for the price.
4 tape types, 3 tape decks, full bias knobs, harmonic enhancer controls and dynamic headroom control and for those who don't know my favorite surprise: you can also use it as a limiter.
Never used it as a limiter! I do drive into it via the Silver Bullet though.

BTW, I know you like the SSL sound, you need to check the Kayahan Solid 4000 Mixbuss (rack) unit out. Bought one recently and it's damn good. Great glue and saturation.

There's some audio examples in the SB thread
Old 8th August 2020
Quote:
Never used it as a limiter! I do drive into it via the Silver Bullet though.

BTW, I know you like the SSL sound, you need to check the Kayahan Solid 4000 Mixbuss (rack) unit out. Bought one recently and it's damn good. Great glue and saturation.

There's some audio examples in the SB thread
You'll love it!
And I've been using the bart hrk and ltl hit maker 4k with each other. Might have to give the kahayan a try since I have their summing box as well.
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
Quote:
You'll love it!
And I've been using the bart hrk and ltl hit maker 4k with each other. Might have to give the kahayan a try since I have their summing box as well.
Nice combo!

What settings are you using on the Zulu to do that, and how hard are hitting it?

Max deck and headroom, HX, and bias/enhance at zero? Or 12 o'clock?
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthepuggle View Post

I had the Anamod for quite some time and enjoyed it (mostly)... the only software that I think sounds in the ballpark is IK Tapes. I own practically all the others, and whilst they have their place, they don't really sound like tape to me. Never tried the Zulu though.
Old 8th August 2020
Quote:
Nice combo!

What settings are you using on the Zulu to do that, and how hard are hitting it?

Max deck and headroom, HX, and bias/enhance at zero? Or 12 o'clock?
Bias at 12 o'clock, max deck and headroom with the enhance at 3 o'clock
Mix into that and I'm happy
Old 12th August 2020
Using Foote ClipSat gets me in the ballpark.
Old 16th August 2020
Gear Guru
Ik and Taupe are hard to beat. I’d go for a Zulu or Mayer box in a heartbeat to try. Neve had one also.

Honestly outside real Tape you’re chasing subjective sound. Even with tape you are......setup formulas bias machine a ton of variables.

I also think if you want that sound you have to bounce and follow a tape work flow.... endless fun to be had. I personally like clean for dimension...
Old 17th August 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
Ik and Taupe are hard to beat. I’d go for a Zulu or Mayer box in a heartbeat to try. Neve had one also.

Honestly outside real Tape you’re chasing subjective sound. Even with tape you are......setup formulas bias machine a ton of variables.

I also think if you want that sound you have to bounce and follow a tape work flow.... endless fun to be had. I personally like clean for dimension...
I agree with last sentence. Tape sound doesn't work on every mix, track elements sure or going for a certain sound. Mild saturation different ways or in parallel just to get levels up ...
Old 17th August 2020
Anamod, RND542 and Bereich03 Density.
Old 17th August 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
vintage nagras make pretty good hardware tape emulators. just saying.
Old 17th August 2020
Gear Maniac
I'm partial to the RND542 since I own a pair but they are very flexible, lotta sweet spots given the silk options, blend, IPS, saturation etc.. I also like the Sound Skulptor TS500; good range of settings, might seem subtle but I thought good tape was generally yet I think this would work on more sources. I haven't personally used the TS500 but I did like the Wet/Dry tracks I heard. If I didn't have the 542 I'd have bought the TS500 and a Silver Bullet to cover similar territory with a more control/options.
Old 18th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Anamod, RND542 and Bereich03 Density.
Would you use these in series?

BTW, thanks for the advice on the Bereich03 Density. They are great units. I dial them up until the sound gets grouchy on the drum bus, and notch it back a bit.
Old 18th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumhead57 View Post
Would you use these in series?

BTW, thanks for the advice on the Bereich03 Density. They are great units. I dial them up until the sound gets grouchy on the drum bus, and notch it back a bit.
No I use the Anamod on the stereo buss, the 542's on the guitars and vocals and the densities on the bass and drums.
📝 Reply