The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Analog Tape Emulation 2018 (Hardware)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypalm View Post
how would I know? Well aside from a part time gig mixing, mastering and producing, I'm a pro audio repair tech. I calibrate tape machines and restore vintage synths,
Those that can, do. Those that can't, fix stuff for those that can.

Lol "part time mixing, mastering, and producing"
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Zulu is a fantastic tape emulation. Sounds better than $3000 boxes
And those $3k boxes are??
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I already posted this in the Zulu thread, but I think maybe it's interesting here too

I uploaded 2 files, one with ZULU as the last device on the Mixbus in front of the limiter, one without ZULU. I tried to match the level.

Because the song is an official release, it would be nice if someone thanked the artist for permission and listened to the original (Just follow the link: https://cutt.ly/Xritxp9)
Attached Files
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Zulu is a fantastic tape emulation. Sounds better than $3000 boxes. And how would I know? Well aside from a part time gig mixing, mastering and producing, I'm a pro audio repair tech. I calibrate tape machines and restore vintage synths, blah blah. I've worked on the $5000 boxes and the $500 boxes. I own some of the $3000 boxes and the $300 boxes. I have a very well calibrated Teac A3440.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
And those $3k boxes are??
So, 'crickets' on those $3k tape emulation boxes the Zulu supposedly sounds "better" than??

Also, a Teac A3440 is a consumer grade tape machine, regardless of how well it's calibrated.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCroskey View Post
I already posted this in the Zulu thread, but I think maybe it's interesting here too

I uploaded 2 files, one with ZULU as the last device on the Mixbus in front of the limiter, one without ZULU. I tried to match the level.

Because the song is an official release, it would be nice if someone thanked the artist for permission and listened to the original (Just follow the link: https://cutt.ly/Xritxp9)
Thanks for posting that. It does sound good! Right off the bat I hear increased dimension and a nice solid fat bottom end. The high end sounds pretty sweet as well. This does the 3D thing better than any emulation I've heard to date. Impressive.
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurean View Post
Hmm tape sound? In hardware land?? I'd say tape.

Why not? Why not record some instruments and vocals on tape? And do the rest in a DAW? May even run the part on tape though another pre amp and put it different versions on different tracks?

Back in the tape days sometime we'd play the songs a bit faster and a half step higher. Then we would slow the tape on play back. Sometimes it sounded great. Tape distortion and saturation can sound nice.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search