The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Graduating from Revox B77
Old 1st October 2018
Lives for gear

Graduating from Revox B77

Hi, I recently picked up a B77 (1st gen, only 7.5ips) to bounce tracks to and I absolutely love it.

I’m not a commercial facility, just making my own trip hop and ambient folk music.

What would be a cool step up to 15ips? I want to keep it under $2K if possible.

Thanks!

- Proxy
Old 1st October 2018
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
PR99 MKIII or Studer a807 (MKI or MKII)
Old 1st October 2018
Lives for gear

Revox produced 186 (!) different versions of the A77, some have 15 ips. The B77 HS has 38 cm/sec 15 ips. It was thought off as a budget version for studios or broadcasters. It is only available as a 2 track. HS stands for high speed. There are LS and and SLS versions too (low speed and super low speed). The SLS was used to record 10 hour debates in the german parliament without changing the tape!
This is an actual ebay offer for the B77 HS (look at the second picture!)
Revox B77 High Speed mit Revox-Spulen und Revox-Alukelchen usw. in Nordrhein-Westfalen - Extertal | Weitere Audio & Hifi Komponenten gebraucht kaufen | eBay Kleinanzeigen
Old 1st October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo View Post
PR99 MKIII or Studer a807 (MKI or MKII)

Thanks. The Studer seems to be going for quite a bit more than $2K, at least the few right now on eBay. Is that typical?

Last edited by proxy; 1st October 2018 at 07:16 PM..
Old 1st October 2018
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Yes, if you keep looking you may find the non VU meter non trolley version around €1500. The PR99 MKIII is a good machine.

The B77 and A77 as pointed out in the post above did come in HS versions. The A77 is a bit more crude in the tape handling and possibly needs an input bypass mod unless you like the sound the input imparts going through the padded mic preamp.

The A77 and B77 HS are good sounding decks at a very reasonable price but factor in a revamp. I would change all the electrolitics, PSU caps, the tantalums are usually fine and Check and reset speed plus a good clean and line up. If you go for on of these find one in good nick with good heads so that any refurbishing is just age related.
Old 2nd October 2018
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Tascam BR-20 or Otari MTR-10 or MTR-12 or Otari MX5050B MKII or Otari MX-55 or Tascam ATR-60 Tascam ATR-60 Reel To Reel 1/2" 2 Track Mastering Tape | Reverb

Best of luck. What ever you purchase make sure it is mechanically sound and not much head wear, good hunting.
Old 8th October 2018
Lives for gear

Picked up an ATR-700, which does 15ips. Will do a shootout between the two and decide.

Thanks,

P
Old 18th March 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by proxy View Post
Hi, I recently picked up a B77 (1st gen, only 7.5ips) to bounce tracks to and I absolutely love it.

I’m not a commercial facility, just making my own trip hop and ambient folk music.

What would be a cool step up to 15ips? I want to keep it under $2K if possible.

Thanks!

- Proxy
I would go for PR-99 or ATR-60
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search