The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
youtube loudness penalty?
Old 24th September 2018
Lives for gear

youtube loudness penalty?

Ive been using this site a few times to check on how masters will sound on the end product (youtube, spotify etc.)
Loudness Penalty: Analyzer

Great resource.

Ive researched several times how songs are normalized on these plattforms. it seems that there are different approaches but they all do something similar (normalize the audio down to around -14LUFs and about -1TP). Of course this differs from plattform to plattform.
the loudnesspenalty site pretty much shows this quite elegantly.

But lately I've been checking youtube videos again and they are massively loud! Its different for each video, but I've seen videos at around -8LUFS and 0TP. I tried downloading some of these videos through some of those obscure youtube download sites and it seems that youtube is playing some videos at their upload Loudness and not normalizing them.
Are you guys experiencing similar stuff? Im confused with this subject!

Last edited by nixoblivion; 24th September 2018 at 01:30 PM..
Old 24th September 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixoblivion View Post
Ive been using this site a few times to check on how masters will sound on the end product (youtube, spotify etc.)
Loudness Penalty: Analyzer

Great resource.

Ive researched several times how songs are normalized on these plattforms. it seems that there are different approaches but they all do something similar (normalize the audio down to around -14LUFs and about -1TP). Of course this differs from plattform to plattform.
the loudnesspenalty site pretty much shows this quite elegantly.

But lately I've been checking youtube videos again and they are massively loud! Its different for each video, but I've seen videos at around -8LUFS and 0TP. I tried downloading some of these videos through some of those obscure youtube download sites and it seems that youtube is playing some videos at their upload Loudness and not normalizing them.
Are you guys experiencing similar stuff? Im confused with this subject!
How new are the loud ones? I'm under the impression that YT lets the video go live before the normalization takes place.
Old 24th September 2018
Lives for gear

You all know you can right click the video and see how much it's turned down right?
Old 24th September 2018
Lives for gear

It's my understanding that some older videos may not yet be loudness normalized and may never be and also, some really new stuff may have not been normalized yet but eventually will.
Old 24th September 2018
The last fews things I worked ont that ended up on Youtube were normalised right away, including some Vevo stuff.
All this seems pretty random sometimes.
Old 24th September 2018
Lives for gear

Probably busy at times de-monetizing videos...
Old 24th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by moostapha View Post
How new are the loud ones? I'm under the impression that YT lets the video go live before the normalization takes place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin P. View Post
It's my understanding that some older videos may not yet be loudness normalized and may never be and also, some really new stuff may have not been normalized yet but eventually will.
Well the videos i checked were different ones, some older (1-2 years) others newer (1-2 months). it really didn't matter from when they were, quite a few were really loud!

Also some of the videos had long "quite" intros, this of course changes the whole measurement i guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip View Post
You all know you can right click the video and see how much it's turned down right?
Thats so cool, i did not know this. gotta test it a little.
Old 24th September 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
See attached image, can someone help interpret this?
Attached Thumbnails
youtube loudness penalty?-screen-shot-2018-09-24-2.07.03-pm.png  
Old 24th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
See attached image, can someone help interpret this?
Volume is played at 82% of the original loudness (which mean -1.7dB)
In thise case, the song was 1.7dB louder than the "target".

The first percent value is the position of your volume slider on the video. (here it's full)
Old 24th September 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxnscratch View Post
Volume is played at 82% of the original loudness (which mean -1.7dB)
In thise case, the song was 1.7dB louder than the "target".

The first percent value is the position of your volume slider on the video. (here it's full)
Interesting, thanks!
Old 24th September 2018
Lives for gear

Cool, i didn't know about that right-click thing!

I've just been checking a load of stuff i mastered on da Toob. Mostly electronic-urban, mastered pretty loud, mostly it's only getting turned down by 1 to 2 dB, which i'm quite happy about!

I also checked some stuff that i think is mastered really too loud and i notice some of it is getting smacked down by up to 8dB! .......

By the way, not sure how accurate that Loudness Penalty: Analyzer website is, it's giving me quite different readings from when i do the youtube, right-click thing.

It's a fine line we tread. If i send masters back that are 6dB less loud then the producers own DIY masters, i won't be in this game much longer. And it's also worth bearing in mind that limiting has a certain "sound", which you won't necessarily achieved with a dynamic master. So i just tend to still limit quite heavily, but stop at the point where i think it's only having a negative impact on the sound.

Last edited by I.R.Baboon; 24th September 2018 at 08:35 PM..
Old 29th September 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by I.R.Baboon View Post
It's a fine line we tread. If i send masters back that are 6dB less loud then the producers own DIY masters, i won't be in this game much longer. And it's also worth bearing in mind that limiting has a certain "sound", which you won't necessarily achieved with a dynamic master. So i just tend to still limit quite heavily, but stop at the point where i think it's only having a negative impact on the sound.
Initially, in the new era of normalised loudness, I started doing very quiet masters with little to no limiting but I have since decided that (as you say) the sound of limiting actually adds something nice. Now, my approach is to just back off that last dB or two of limiting where I knew I was going too far for the sake of winning the loudness war. Basically, a happy medium is what I find works best. Obviously it's genre dependant but moderately aggressive limiting can be a nice thing (I make dance music).
Old 29th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip View Post
thank you, nice info!
Old 30th September 2018
Not related to Youtube but to Spotify,
With the last update of Spotify (premium) there is now 3 Loudness Preset asking the consumer hownoisy is his surrounding.
From High to quiet, I got result going around -11LUFs for High to -24LUFs for quiet. (Didn't check the inbetween)

I don't know how loudness Penalty will adapt to that.
Old 1st October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxnscratch View Post
Didn't check the inbetween.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Was just checking some older tracks (from 2016) on Youtube and these don't seem to have the loudness compensated.

So this is gonna start getting pretty messy. Artists will be wondering why their older tracks sound so much louder on youtube than newer ones.

And this will have the opposite effect to the intended one, the problem being: older tracks that actually sound worse (when compensated) still sound waaaaay louder (and, so, better, if you know what i mean).

Surely Youtube need to run all older vids through the same algorithm to ensure a level playing field?!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Yea, Youtube should probably fix that

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search