The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bereich03 Audio - Modular Mastering Gear Equalisers (HW)
Old 29th August 2018
  #1
Bereich03 Audio - Modular Mastering Gear

Hey guys!

Just want to know if some of you are using those ?

I plan to go out of the box, and they look like really great option for me.

Are they pretty good? How do you describe them?

Not a lot of review online actually.
Old 30th August 2018
  #2
Lives for gear
 
teebaum's Avatar
I also find these modules very interesting
i am thinking of buying a 500-rack and equipping it with some of them

What I am most interested in at the moment

filter
Filter

passive-mid
Passive-Mid

passive-shelf
Passive-Shelf

density
density

if someone works with these modules and can tell me something about it, it makes my decision easier!
Old 30th August 2018
  #3
Gear Head
 
McCroskey's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post
I also find these modules very interesting
i am thinking of buying a 500-rack and equipping it with some of them

What I am most interested in at the moment

filter
Filter

passive-mid
Passive-Mid

passive-shelf
Passive-Shelf

density
density

if someone works with these modules and can tell me something about it, it makes my decision easier!
I use the passive-mid with the vintage opamps as an insert for the Silverbullet. For me it works very well to cut the 300-500 area and give the mids a slight boost. The build quality is awesome. Michael is a very kind guy and very helpful. He processed my files with different settings to get an idea how the unit sounds like.

Last edited by McCroskey; 30th August 2018 at 08:59 AM..
Old 30th August 2018
  #4
Lives for gear
 
the fxs's Avatar
 

the man is quite busy, as he is basically running two companies all by his own.
all modules are hand built in his shop in munich, made to meet the needs of recording and mastering engineers.
that said,... i'll start mixing a on a record within the next few weeks. hope i'll find time and do some demos of his stereo EQ modules on vocals, drums and stereo bus.
Old 30th August 2018
  #5
Engagement Manager
 
Sniperschool's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Huge fan of Michaels work

Been using them since the first module (Density) came out and have not tried anything he’s made since that isn’t absolutely top notch

They’re very well made/well priced and sound incredible to my ears

It’s nice to see someone adding a twist to the standard line up of ‘Pre/EQ/Comp’ 500 series modules

Old 30th August 2018
  #6
My plan is to slowly invest on the whole mastering console, module by module.
With the opportunity to purchase other module like the shadowville comp or the TK-Lizer 500 per exemple.
Plus, you can easily make some work on the Road just getting one chassis, a great pair of headphone and something like the sonarwork headphone correction.
That's just option, but I think it's an attractive one.
Old 30th August 2018
  #7
Engagement Manager
 
Sniperschool's Avatar
 

Verified Member
I already had Density's but the I saw the Mastering console at Messe back around 2013 I was so impressed
Old 1st September 2018
  #8
Gear Maniac
 
Magnus Lindberg's Avatar
 

Very interesting modules!
Anyone tried the passive shelf? That in combo with the filter module could be a very nice EQ tool. Density looks really cool too.
Old 2nd September 2018
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Giuseppe Zaccaria's Avatar
 

they are very interesting indeed
Old 3rd September 2018
  #10
Gear Head
 
RobFish's Avatar
 

I just recently used Density pretty extensively on a session with a friend, who brought a pair of them! And I am really impressed! They sound really great, thick & round with a nice Low-End Bump! We tracked through them & used them to colour some programmed Drums/Synths! They did sound great on pretty much everything, but I especially liked them on Kick & Snare, Bass and Synth(Plugins)! Density also worked wonders in smoothing out harsh Guitars!
808/606 & some fizzly Tambourine/Shaker sounded really creamy through it!
I will definitely get a pair of them! And/Or the Stereo-Version, which is only 500 EUR, an absolute No-brainer!

Last edited by RobFish; 3rd September 2018 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 4th September 2018
  #11
b03
Gear Head
 
b03's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Hi

I just want to say a little about the concept.
I do mastering for 20 years now for living. I started with old Neumann mastering modules and was fascinated about their mastering console. Never had one. After some years I build my first passive EQ and used it on every master. During the time, the 500-system became more and more popular, so I thought I should build my own modular mastering desk.
Most important for me was: Every control must be stereo (So I can use it without looking at it). All controls must be stepped, cause I have to recall every second master. Only controls I really use, I love simple and clear front panels. For marketing it's better to have as many functions as possible, but I wanted it exactly for my use.
About one year I was thinking and testing about the clean / colored thing. Clean = boring, and colored = cool but not good for every master. I started with the density. I wanted something to create harmonics. It took me two years to finish it. As I had something for the colored thing, the rest was much easier. Most modules should be clean like: Input, Output, Filter, Side-only, Limiter. Clean means: Input- and output stages form That, Wima caps in the signal path, BurrBrown OpAmps, all switching with relays.
For the EQs I decided to make only passive ones, cause I used and loved it for years. These I use for boosting. For cutting I still prefer PlugIns. My first passive EQ had 0,5dB steps, cause I started with the Neumann EQs with 2dB steps and knew this was too big. But after two year of use, I changed it to 1dB steps and never regret it. I know, a lot of you are going to flame me for this :-)
And to make the EQs more flexible sound wise, I build the gain stage for the passive network with DOAs. The Passive Shelve also has output transformers.

After Musikmesse (5 years ago) a lot of distributors asked me for a partnership. But the main problem for me was the price. I had to rise the prices, so most of the modules would come to the 800-1000,-eur range (with german VAT). And I think this is too much for a no-name company like this with no history like API or Neve. And I want it to be affordable. So the result is, you only can buy it directly.
I came from the independent music scene in the 90the. So it makes sense for me to do it the same way now.

Ok, I tried to make it not sound like a advertising text. But after reading it, I'm not sure if I really achieved the goal. sorry

michael
Old 4th September 2018
  #12
Lives for gear
 
teebaum's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by b03 View Post
Hi

I just want to say a little about the concept.
I do mastering for 20 years now for living. I started with old Neumann mastering modules and was fascinated about their mastering console. Never had one. After some years I build my first passive EQ and used it on every master. During the time, the 500-system became more and more popular, so I thought I should build my own modular mastering desk.
Most important for me was: Every control must be stereo (So I can use it without looking at it). All controls must be stepped, cause I have to recall every second master. Only controls I really use, I love simple and clear front panels. For marketing it's better to have as many functions as possible, but I wanted it exactly for my use.
About one year I was thinking and testing about the clean / colored thing. Clean = boring, and colored = cool but not good for every master. I started with the density. I wanted something to create harmonics. It took me two years to finish it. As I had something for the colored thing, the rest was much easier. Most modules should be clean like: Input, Output, Filter, Side-only, Limiter. Clean means: Input- and output stages form That, Wima caps in the signal path, BurrBrown OpAmps, all switching with relays.
For the EQs I decided to make only passive ones, cause I used and loved it for years. These I use for boosting. For cutting I still prefer PlugIns. My first passive EQ had 0,5dB steps, cause I started with the Neumann EQs with 2dB steps and knew this was too big. But after two year of use, I changed it to 1dB steps and never regret it. I know, a lot of you are going to flame me for this :-)
And to make the EQs more flexible sound wise, I build the gain stage for the passive network with DOAs. The Passive Shelve also has output transformers.

After Musikmesse (5 years ago) a lot of distributors asked me for a partnership. But the main problem for me was the price. I had to rise the prices, so most of the modules would come to the 800-1000,-eur range (with german VAT). And I think this is too much for a no-name company like this with no history like API or Neve. And I want it to be affordable. So the result is, you only can buy it directly.
I came from the independent music scene in the 90the. So it makes sense for me to do it the same way now.

Ok, I tried to make it not sound like a advertising text. But after reading it, I'm not sure if I really achieved the goal. sorry

michael
Thanks for your text, it gives me a good picture of your way of thinking.
I ordered filter and density from you to see how they fit into my chain.
passive-mid and passive-shelf are on the wish list for a second order.
Old 4th September 2018
  #13
Gear Addict
 
mirochandler's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b03 View Post
Hi
So the result is, you only can buy it directly.
Totally understandable and this is good! A buyer will become a lot more for his money!

A lot of persons do not realize that >40-50% of the price (excl. VAT) of every product they buy never see the manufacturer.
Old 4th September 2018
  #14
Lives for gear
 
teebaum's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirochandler View Post
Totally understandable and this is good! A buyer will become a lot more for his money!

A lot of persons do not realize that >40-50% of the price (excl. VAT) of every product they buy never see the manufacturer.
60-70%

30 % manufacturer
30 % distribution
30 % shop
10% getting lost for transportation, taxes ASO
Old 4th September 2018
  #15
Mastering Moderator
 
Riccardo's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Looks very cool indeed.






P.s. suggestion for monitor controller module: 3 sources switch.
Old 4th September 2018
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Giuseppe Zaccaria's Avatar
 

Thanks a lot for the insight description, makes sense
Old 4th September 2018
  #17
Incredible.
Old 5th September 2018
  #18
b03
Gear Head
 
b03's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo View Post
P.s. suggestion for monitor controller module: 3 sources switch.
Yes, I know, 3 sources would be better than 2. But for 3 sources the module would need the space of 6 slots. For every source (stereo) I need 2 slots. Even this version with 4 slots is very big. I was more thinking of a even simpler version with only 1 source (2 slots). But I think this is already available.

michael
Old 7th September 2018
  #19
Gear Addict
 
rrraaalllfff's Avatar
Great looking solutions. The monitor controller as it looks now on the site is a perfect fit for me. Any thoughts on when its development reaches completion?
Old 7th September 2018
  #20
b03
Gear Head
 
b03's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrraaalllfff View Post
Great looking solutions. The monitor controller as it looks now on the site is a perfect fit for me. Any thoughts on when its development reaches completion?

It is working fine. No technical problems. I was not happy with the mechanical construction inside. But I think I have a good solution now.

michael
Old 20th September 2018
  #21
Lives for gear
 
teebaum's Avatar
2 modules of

bereich03audio

have arrived today

I couldn't really test density yet because I have music to master that is already more than enough saturated.
I liked the filter very much, the frequencies are well chosen and the combination of cut/boost on the lowcut work very well together and have a very cool sound.

the handling is also very good, the rotary switches have a good grip and are spread apart enough, the feeling is like with normal 19"-devices, not like with most 500-modules.

the two lipinski-eq-modules in between are rather tricky to operate.
Attached Thumbnails
Bereich03 Audio - Modular Mastering Gear-img_20180920_142530.jpg  
Old 20th September 2018
  #22
Lives for gear
I love my Density.

Subtle but unmistakable! Plenty of options for using tracking or on busses.

I also tried the delays, which I couldn't afford but badly wanted...those are next on my list now

Perfectly built, simple and stunning sounding, great value and all presented and backed up by a proper gentleman. Can't say fairer than that.
Old 21st September 2018
  #23
Lives for gear
 
teebaum's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Cubist View Post
I love my Density.

Subtle but unmistakable! Plenty of options for using tracking or on busses.

I also tried the delays, which I couldn't afford but badly wanted...those are next on my list now

Perfectly built, simple and stunning sounding, great value and all presented and backed up by a proper gentleman. Can't say fairer than that.
on "density", you can define the work point with jumpers and now i have found a setting where it is a real benefit for my chain.
with new equipment i like to listen to the result together with the client and he was thrilled.
"density" is certainly not suitable for everything, but it can be just the right thing.
Old 21st September 2018
  #24
Lives for gear
 
ionian's Avatar
I'm still promising myself that I'll pick up the limiter and side modules at some point soon.
Old 27th September 2018
  #25
Lives for gear
 
teebaum's Avatar
i have now collected some experience with the 2 modules.

in the beginning i'm always quite careful with the use, especially with modules like "density", because you might start to hear side aspects with time, which don't like so much anymore.
especially at saturation, the "long term listening" in my opinion is important - then you notice well whether the effect is tiring or starts to annoy.

after initial considerations and a time when i had to search for the right range by means of input/outpus sensivity, there came productions where i clearly felt a benefit with density.
fortunately i had some attended sessions, so i could ask the producer to compare with/without and "density" was really convincing.
i think you shouldn't see it as a 1:1 band emulation, rather as "band inspired", but in the end it doesn't matter - if it fits, it fits - and it does fit from time to time.
i learned to appreciate it especially on guitarfocused music, once on a punk-production, once on a "redemption-song-like reggae-song" (where it helped the acoustic guitars incredibly much, which i didn't expect at all) and once on a production a la neil young, where the initial situation was quite fragile and the "de-resonated" material with "density" came back to life and got dense.

"filter" could be seen as a relatively banal tool - high pass and low pass, do you need that as hardware?
especially because of the high pass with resonance i liked this tool very much, you can define the pressure point very nicely, the frequencies are well chosen and the filter sounds really good.
also the lowpass sounds somehow very different from software. when plugin-lowpass is sometimes too tight for me "the air goes away", here "the unpleasant" goes away and the signal seems more robust, before i feel it as reduced.
moreover, it's simply technically nice to have these 2 functions practically "in my hand", i'm faster at the point than with a plugin.
Old 27th September 2018
  #26
Engagement Manager
 
Sniperschool's Avatar
 

Verified Member
The Filters are so useful for me when tracking heavy guitars
I tend to run a combined R-121 and SM57/MD409 through a single unit and remove everything I wont want during mixing
Old 27th September 2018
  #27
Lives for gear
 
teebaum's Avatar
i am already looking forward to the two modules

passive mid
passive shelf

which I should get in 2-3 weeks.

if you consider that you can get "passive shelf" & "filter" together for €1000.00 and the modules are not very demanding on the frame, you can get a "bax-alike" for pretty little money, that you can (depending on the frame size) easily extend with more modules "according to upcoming needs" - a pretty unique offer if you want to build a chain.

Last edited by teebaum; 27th September 2018 at 03:49 PM..
Old 28th September 2018
  #28
The passive mid module looks very interesting to me. I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts on that one.
Old 3rd November 2018
  #29
Lives for gear
 
teebaum's Avatar
i got my 2 eq modules from bereich03 yesterday and i'm pretty excited.

i have made the curve of my eq-comparson-test and the eq is among the best.

after an intensive comparison with my other eq's i used it for a pop and a metal album (in combination).
a very good mixture of low coloration, gracious and yet direct without loss of detail.

i would clearly prefer the "passive-shelf" to most " bax"-devices on the market, together with the "filters" (hp & lp) as needed.
the additional third shelf, which can be switched as low or high shelf, is a very clever idea - you get a kind of "tilt" on top.

bereich03 is a good reason to buy a 500-frame for mastering!

(i am not in any relation with bereich03 and an ordinary customer who pays the full price)
Attached Thumbnails
Bereich03 Audio - Modular Mastering Gear-img_20181103_132621.jpg  

Last edited by teebaum; 3rd November 2018 at 04:38 PM..
Old 4th November 2018
  #30
Mastering Moderator
 
Riccardo's Avatar
 

Verified Member
And it also lokks both cool and solidly built!
What frame/psu did you choose in the end?
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump