The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bereich03 Audio - Modular Mastering Gear Equalisers (HW)
Old 4th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo View Post
And it also lokks both cool and solidly built!
What frame/psu did you choose in the end?
i had a talk with michael from Bereich03 and he said that his modules are relatively undemanding because they are not as sensitive to interferences as e.g. microphone preamps and do not require as much power as e.g. tube circuits.

compared to trident, neve and a cheap manufacturer, neve and trident could not be distinguished, the cheap frame had a bit worse s/n.

since trident has an external power supply and is therefore on the safe side with regard to interferences with other devices in the rack, i took the trident.

in a different environment with other modules everything can be different again.

muchaek said he made also good experiences with igs panzer and api.

Last edited by teebaum; 4th November 2018 at 05:18 PM..
Old 5th November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post
i got my 2 eq modules from bereich03 yesterday and i'm pretty excited.

i have made the curve of my eq-comparson-test and the eq is among the best.

after an intensive comparison with my other eq's i used it for a pop and a metal album (in combination).
a very good mixture of low coloration, gracious and yet direct without loss of detail.

i would clearly prefer the "passive-shelf" to most " bax"-devices on the market, together with the "filters" (hp & lp) as needed.
the additional third shelf, which can be switched as low or high shelf, is a very clever idea - you get a kind of "tilt" on top.

bereich03 is a good reason to buy a 500-frame for mastering!

(i am not in any relation with bereich03 and an ordinary customer who pays the full price)
Hello Teebaum

What 500 Rack do you finally use with the bereich03?
Old 5th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by priko View Post
Hello Teebaum

What 500 Rack do you finally use with the bereich03?
Bereich03 Audio - Modular Mastering Gear

Old 8th November 2018
Lives for gear

I have the three modules

filters
passive shelf
passive mid

taken together (all 3 on) compared to my other 2 solidstate equalizers

knif eksa
gyraf g23s (on solid state position)

the audio values are almost identical to the gyraf, about 0.5dB the knif eksa is better, THD is 0.001% better for eksa and gyraf (which do without transformer), comparable to the tube-tech, api5500 and soma have significantly more THD.
the values are therefore first class, THD is in this area rather "sound design" than better/worse.

this makes the question of whether another 500-frame would bring advantages unnecessary, especially since the sonic results are enthusiastic.

these 3 modules together with a clean eq, which also has high q-values (porter, eksa, maselec), are a great combination.
due to the passive design with coils, the filters are enormously musical, very good-natured when giving and playing absolutely in the first row together with the most expensive mastering equalizers.
the shelfs are the icing on the cake, the idea of offering a third shelf that can be used as a high or low shelf is very useful in everyday life.
together with the passive bells, which are designed transformerless in contrast to the shelfs, i always had the tools on different materials to adjust the fundamental balance of a song.
the restrictions of the selectable frequencies are not disturbing in everyday life, you can feel very well that the developer is a practicing mastering technician, the values are simply outstandingly chosen (something, that for example I always have to give maselec credit for - every setting makes sense).
if a band is missing, it's rather a narrow band, the modules are clearly designed to be used together with digital-eq's or "surgical eq's".

i think the modules are a really good offer to build up an audiochain, i don't know any other outboard equalizers in this price range that offer a comparable usability in everyday life.
in the rack you still have room for 1-2 additional tools and so you can really cover a lot - with 2-3 additional 19" devices you have a versatile mastering chain together like this.

i will send together with thom wettstein some more eqs and compressors through our testfiles in december, so you can get an idea of it
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

So you have lived with these for a while now?
What your verdict?

I am very tempted!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus Lindberg View Post
So you have lived with these for a while now?
What your verdict?

I am very tempted!
i have to tell you that i am amazed myself how much i use them - in my case they have to withstand some heavy weights!
I usually start a new mastering project with a shotout, which eq's fit best - and they often fit.
i became a real fan of the "passive shelf" - the concept with the 3 shelfs is very cool, you can do so many things with it.
the sound has a certain extra size, which surely comes from the transformers and the discrete opamps.
nevertheless, it remains very versatile.
i also use "passive mid" a lot, it has a little less "mojo" than the shelf module, but works very well together with it.
the other 2 modules are less frequently in use, but that's certainly different for each chain.
they're not as "beautiful" and "round" as a soma and not as exact as an eksa, but sometimes i need exactly the "in-between".
i use it very often together with one of the knifs or for rock also with the api5500.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Can you describe the filter and mid modules any more? Which opamps did you choose for the passive-mid? Those two look most interesting!

The HP filter with the extra resonant boost seems nice. The Buzz REQ transformer saturation does something similar as does the Silver Bullet's "tight" filter (20Hz HPF, 40Hz bump). Definitely a useful concept for shaping the very bottom. And I've been curious about a gentle LPF in the analog domain for calming things down without dulling.

How do you find the filter slopes and frequency choices? And how about the bandwidth behavior and gain steps on the mid module?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Elgin View Post
Can you describe the filter and mid modules any more? Which opamps did you choose for the passive-mid? Those two look most interesting!

The HP filter with the extra resonant boost seems nice. The Buzz REQ transformer saturation does something similar as does the Silver Bullet's "tight" filter (20Hz HPF, 40Hz bump). Definitely a useful concept for shaping the very bottom. And I've been curious about a gentle LPF in the analog domain for calming things down without dulling.

How do you find the filter slopes and frequency choices? And how about the bandwidth behavior and gain steps on the mid module?
in both modules i have the "clean" opamps inside - the modules are passive, so they are makeup amplifiers, i don't want to " smear" the whole signal.
but maybe I'll give passive-mid a try with the vintage.
michael (the developer) also said that he also uses the "clean" for mastering, the "vintage" are more for mixing.
but i changed the gain ranges for all modules, because with such wide filters 1dB levels are too big for me.

with the passive mid i have these gain levels

3 dB

for passive shelf

4 dB

The Q factors for the Passive-Mid are:

High Boost: 0.25
Low Boost: 0.2
Cut: 0,85

interestingly enough, every manufacturer seems to have a different way of calculating q factors (which is confusing, actually a very clear mathematical formula)

the q 0.25 of the high boost is exactly the same width as the q 0.5 of the knif eksa.
Q factor - Wikipedia

on the website of bereich03audio you can find more information and measurements.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post
in both modules i have the "clean" opamps inside - the modules are passive, so they are makeup amplifiers, i don't want to " smear" the whole signal.
but maybe I'll give passive-mid a try with the vintage.
michael (the developer) also said that he also uses the "clean" for mastering, the "vintage" are more for mixing.
but i changed the gain ranges for all modules, because with such wide filters 1dB levels are too big for me.

with the passive mid i have these gain levels

3 dB

for passive shelf

4 dB

The Q factors for the Passive-Mid are:

High Boost: 0.25
Low Boost: 0.2
Cut: 0,85

interestingly enough, every manufacturer seems to have a different way of calculating q factors (which is confusing, actually a very clear mathematical formula)

the q 0.25 of the high boost is exactly the same width as the q 0.5 of the knif eksa.
Q factor - Wikipedia

on the website of bereich03audio you can find more information and measurements.
Cheers Dan!
I will eventually order filter and mid modules. The mid bands seem to grab a lot then. Maybe with vintage opamps the mid would offer something more contrasting with my REQ. If they're socketed I could order both and experiment.

How would you describe the HP filter sound? Can it be quite tight and firm with the boost? Smaller gain steps may be helpful again here I guess.

Edit: Found a demo on YouTube:
YouTube
It sounds reasonably punchy on the kick drum for sure.
Here's all the modules working together:
YouTube
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Cheers Dan!
I will eventually order filter and mid modules. The mid bands seem to grab a lot then. Maybe with vintage opamps the mid would offer something more contrasting with my REQ. If they're socketed I could order both and experiment.

How would you describe the HP filter sound? Can it be quite tight and firm with the boost? Smaller gain steps may be helpful again here I guess.
Same here in the sense that the comparison to REQ is very interesting. The REQ can do narrow cuts/boosts though so not really interchangable, but still very cool modules. The tilt, filters and maybe mid modules are the most interesting to me.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cheers Dan!

Edit: Found a demo on YouTube:
YouTube
It sounds reasonably punchy on the kick drum for sure.
Here's all the modules working together:
YouTube
I don't know if I'd take the "passive mid" if I had an REQ.

the HP has the least "boxtone" of all, is the only ic-based module.
of course it's less flexible than a digital hp, but sometimes it gives the sound a kind of "focus" that helps. the resonance of the hp has a tendency to "big and heavy", which is a good option, but certainly doesn't always fit.
i also have the feeling (as with every device) that the interaction with the devices before and after it is decisive to take it or leave it out.

in my opinion, the module that is most fun on its own is clearly "passive shelf".

Last edited by teebaum; 2 weeks ago at 01:59 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search