The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Elysia Alpha Plugin for Classical Mastering-Strange Behavior
Old 28th July 2018
  #1
Lives for gear
 

Elysia Alpha Plugin for Classical Mastering-Strange Behavior

Hey all. I really like the feature set and transparent sound of this compressor (Plugin Alliance version). However, I really can't use it because it often destroys very soft, sustained passages and final decays, exhibiting gating-like behavior that causes jumps and sometimes outright silencing of the audio. Has anybody else experienced this?

And if this is something not fixable, what plugin do you recommend for this task? This assumes you actually do use a compressor plugin in your classical mastering chain, so please, no advice not to use one, or to always go analog.
Old 28th July 2018
  #2
Yes, I've experienced that, it happens when the compressor is set to feedback mode (by default), switch to feed forward and it will fix the issue but yes, it's pretty unusable in feedback.
Old 28th July 2018
  #3
Ooops never ever experienced something like this with it...Was it under heavy gain reduction ?
Old 28th July 2018
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxnscratch View Post
Yes, I've experienced that, it happens when the compressor is set to feedback mode (by default), switch to feed forward and it will fix the issue but yes, it's pretty unusable in feedback.
Interesting, thanks. That never even occurred to me. Problem is for this application feedback mode would be more appropriate due to its more gentle nature, would it not? Seems like weird behavior for a 'mastering' compressor.


Quote:
Originally Posted by the unik View Post
Ooops never ever experienced something like this with it...Was it under heavy gain reduction ?
No, minimal. Barely touching the audio at about 1.4:1.
Old 28th July 2018
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by the unik View Post
Ooops never ever experienced something like this with it...Was it under heavy gain reduction ?
No it happens when the signal is pretty low, without any compression going on.

For a while now I’m thinking about emailing PA but I haven’t done it yet.
Old 28th July 2018
  #6
I just checked again and and even at very low levels (-42 dbfs), I don't hear any of this really...maybe you should try an update or something, if you're not up to date already...This thing is really good for certain application. Part of my (few) go to plugins alongside the Shadowhills comp from UAD. Both really underrated imo
Old 28th July 2018
  #7
Lives for gear
 

I'm using the latest version and it came up again recently on a solo piano project. Very frustrating because, as you say, it's otherwise a really nice transparent compressor. I've had other issues with PA plugins in the past, such as them not remembering their settings when re-opening a project, so it's always been a little touch-and-go with their stuff.

If UAD ever offers this at a substantial discount, I may make the switch. In the meantime I've switched to the Fabfilter compressor. Not quite the same response, but very transparent.
Old 28th July 2018
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy View Post
I'm using the latest version and it came up again recently on a solo piano project. Very frustrating because, as you say, it's otherwise a really nice transparent compressor. I've had other issues with PA plugins in the past, such as them not remembering their settings when re-opening a project, so it's always been a little touch-and-go with their stuff.

If UAD ever offers this at a substantial discount, I may make the switch. In the meantime I've switched to the Fabfilter compressor. Not quite the same response, but very transparent.
OT but for this kind of use, you should check the TDR Kotelnikov(GE) pretty cheap for a great tool.
Old 28th July 2018
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxnscratch View Post
OT but for this kind of use, you should check the TDR Kotelnikov(GE) pretty cheap for a great tool.
I actually have the free version left over from when another mastering engineer did a project in my studio, but I've never tried it. I have used Nova, however, so I'm familiar with Tokyo Dawn's quality. Thanks, I'll check it out.
Old 30th November 2018
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy View Post
I'm using the latest version and it came up again recently on a solo piano project. Very frustrating because, as you say, it's otherwise a really nice transparent compressor. I've had other issues with PA plugins in the past, such as them not remembering their settings when re-opening a project, so it's always been a little touch-and-go with their stuff.

If UAD ever offers this at a substantial discount, I may make the switch. In the meantime I've switched to the Fabfilter compressor. Not quite the same response, but very transparent.
UAD Alpha is at -70% sale
and Kotelnikov is superb, worth demoing.
Old 30th November 2018
  #11
Lives for gear
I'm sort of re-discovering the polysquasher these days; Compressor Plugin for Mastering [VST, AU, AAX] - Polysquasher | Voxengo

I wish the compressor editor mode was set on the front panel when I first demoed it, after finding my own default setting I really started to like it.
Old 30th November 2018
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Verified Member
Use this as my main ITB comp because of the excellent time constants and very variable ratio. Never heard anything like this, although I usually use TDR Kotelnikov GE for classical also
Old 30th November 2018
  #13
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSideUp View Post
UAD Alpha is at -70% sale
and Kotelnikov is superb, worth demoing.
Yeah, I think the time has come.

I do have the free version of the Kotelnikov but haven't spent much time with it. Gotta check it out further.
Old 30th November 2018
  #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy View Post
Yeah, I think the time has come.

I do have the free version of the Kotelnikov but haven't spent much time with it. Gotta check it out further.
just bought Alpha about 27 seconds ago

I missed Kotelnikov' s Black Friday, I'm lucky with the Alpha sale, as I got lurking into it again. Now I own it! + UAD Massive Passive
Old 30th November 2018
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSideUp View Post
just bought Alpha about 27 seconds ago

I missed Kotelnikov' s Black Friday, I'm lucky with the Alpha sale, as I got lurking into it again. Now I own it! + UAD Massive Passive
Congrats! And you'll also love Massive Passive (even if it's quite the resource hog). Alpha is in my UAD cart. Now I just have to pull the well-worn trigger. I did catch TD's sale to upgrade Nova to the GE version. But now Fabfilter just released ProQ3, with dynamics, so I'll have to upgrade that one, too. It never ends, does it?
Old 1st December 2018
  #16
ahah congrats too!
It never ends for sure, I didn't bite the bullet for Gullfoss EQ and Siff, those were temping but around 100€. I do have to stop and do with what I have (Limiter No6, Soundtoys, UAD, some Waves, SlyFi, ).

I manage to NOT spend money on plugins this year, except 3€ for Massive Passive AND Alpha ( 235 in coupons). I 'm set! let's make music
Old 1st May 2019
  #17
Gear Addict
 
mitgong's Avatar
 

I am experiencing the same issues with The Alpha.
Old 1st May 2019
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitgong View Post
I am experiencing the same issues with The Alpha.
I've given up on it.
Old 2nd May 2019
  #19
Gear Maniac
 

I find something with a multi stage release like the TDR Kotelnikov GE is usually essential if you're going to compress classical.
Old 2nd May 2019
  #20
I stopped using Alpha about 6 months ago because of this issue. It seems to only happen on long decay/sustained moments with little to no compression...fizzy distortion and/or fading to silence well before it should. I'm using the PA version and have a local friend who has experienced the same thing with the UAD version. I started a ticket with PA, but they need a screen video of what's going on. I had just removed all instances from the session I was setting up, then wasn't able to recreate it for a video and needed to keep moving. Kotelnikov GE and in some cases UAD 2500 used very gently in parallel are filling the void, but I still miss the Alpha at times. I plan to try to recreate it and submit a ticket with some down time in the coming weeks. I'll report back if I get any further info.
Old 2nd May 2019
  #21
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir hills View Post
I started a ticket with PA, but they need a screen video of what's going on. I had just removed all instances from the session I was setting up, then wasn't able to recreate it for a video...
That fact just added to the frustration—it was inconsistent, even over the same areas of a mix, which made it hard to determine the source of the problem. It's a shame, because it really is a nice compressor otherwise.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #22
Here for the gear
 

I have the same problem and filmed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy View Post
That fact just added to the frustration—it was inconsistent, even over the same areas of a mix, which made it hard to determine the source of the problem. It's a shame, because it really is a nice compressor otherwise.

Hi seanmccoy and everyone else. I have experienced exactly the same frustrating problem and I managed to make an elaborate video demonstrating the bug in a few different ways. I am running the PA version in Cubase 10. I have been in contact with PA about the issue and as they did with Sir Hills, they asked me to make a video. They told me that 1 other customer had reported this issue but I believe that, especially after seeing this blog post and others I have found, there are more who experience the same issue but just haven't reported it, or, because it is such a tricky bugger of a bug to catch on video in between production deadlines and haven't been able to video it. So it understandably will not be high on PA's / Elysia's agenda thinking that not many people experience it. For the record, the PA customer support was fast to respond, very friendly and accommodating. They have assured me that their engineers are looking into the issue, but as I said, it might not be high on the agenda because of a lack of reports and it has now been a month since I reported.

I would encourage any of you who have this problem to watch my video and if it is indeed exactly the same issue, get in touch with PA / UAD / etc. open a ticket and send them my video so that they see more people are having the same bug. If you have reported this on any other blogs or forums and want to update the info there, feel free to quote me and use my video if it helps.

I absolutely love the Alpha compressors and it is heartbreaking that I cannot use them because of this bug. Hopefully if enough of us report it directly we can get it fixed.
Best regards.

Old 4 weeks ago
  #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kri View Post
Hi seanmccoy and everyone else. I have experienced exactly the same frustrating problem and I managed to make an elaborate video demonstrating the bug in a few different ways. I am running the PA version in Cubase 10. I have been in contact with PA about the issue and as they did with Sir Hills, they asked me to make a video. They told me that 1 other customer had reported this issue but I believe that, especially after seeing this blog post and others I have found, there are more who experience the same issue but just haven't reported it, or, because it is such a tricky bugger of a bug to catch on video in between production deadlines and haven't been able to video it. So it understandably will not be high on PA's / Elysia's agenda thinking that not many people experience it. For the record, the PA customer support was fast to respond, very friendly and accommodating. They have assured me that their engineers are looking into the issue, but as I said, it might not be high on the agenda because of a lack of reports and it has now been a month since I reported.

I would encourage any of you who have this problem to watch my video and if it is indeed exactly the same issue, get in touch with PA / UAD / etc. open a ticket and send them my video so that they see more people are having the same bug. If you have reported this on any other blogs or forums and want to update the info there, feel free to quote me and use my video if it helps.

I absolutely love the Alpha compressors and it is heartbreaking that I cannot use them because of this bug. Hopefully if enough of us report it directly we can get it fixed.
Best regards.

Thank You!!!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #24
Lives for gear
 

Wow, well done! Yes, those are exactly the symptoms that have caused me to give up on the plugin. I found it to be buggy in other ways even before I caught on to its destructive gating behavior. At one point it was causing Pro Tools to hang and crash during bounces. And for a long time it wouldn't retain its settings when a project was closed and re-opened. Subsequent updates seem to have fixed those issues, but clearly this is just a troubled plugin.

I'm curious as to whether the UAD version behaves the same?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #25
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy View Post
Wow, well done! Yes, those are exactly the symptoms that have caused me to give up on the plugin. I found it to be buggy in other ways even before I caught on to its destructive gating behavior. At one point it was causing Pro Tools to hang and crash during bounces. And for a long time it wouldn't retain its settings when a project was closed and re-opened. Subsequent updates seem to have fixed those issues, but clearly this is just a troubled plugin.

I'm curious as to whether the UAD version behaves the same?
I'm glad if this can help! I can't speak for the UAD version unfortunately, but while I was searching the net to see if others are experiencing this bug, I found someone in the UAD forums saying that they were experiencing audio dropouts and eventually, painstakingly figured out it was the Alpha. But unfortunately this person didn't elaborate on the exact symptoms, which if it is the same as we experience, is not easy to describe anyway. Maybe that was related to what you had experienced before, or the same as our current bug. He had written that it was apparently an issue known to UAD since 2016.

Let's see, hopefully enough people report it to make it a higher priority, or perhaps it is something to write to Elysia directly about?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #26
Conclusion : buy the hardware

Ok I'm out...
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump