The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Symphony MKII 2x6 SE Mastering Edition Digital Converters
Old 18th July 2018
Gear Head
Apogee Symphony MKII 2x6 SE Mastering Edition

Just converted my Apogee Symphony I/O MKII 8x8+8 Mic Preamps into an Apogee Symphony I/O MKII 2x6 SE Mastering Edition converter!

My primary reason for doing this was to eliminate fan noise, which was in no way heard unless I was listening at extremely low levels. With the previous Symphony MKII configuration and my room temperature around 75 degrees F, the fan would occasionally kick in with a speed of around 60 to 70 percent, too loud for my tastes when mastering!

Removing all Apogee modules and putting in only the 2x6 SE, the internal temperature of the Symphony MKII 2x6 SE is now 42C with my room temp of 75 degrees F. The fan hasn't kicked in once! Since I never let my room get any hotter than this, it looks like this converter will be silent!

The 2x6 SE D/A conversion is excellent so this will be my last and only D/A monitoring converter and to think I just about sold the Symphony MKII. I am surprised as I didn't think I would hear much, if any, difference in the new ES9028 Pro D/A converter chip over the older ES9018 D/A. Vocals sound far more real, detailed and right there in front of you and the stereo soundstage is more defined, I can hear deep into the mix. The feeling I get is that the sound has this smooth, flowing like quality and isn't flattened at all - there is punch and dynamics - I really am impressed!

In my opinion, the Symphony MKII 2x6 SE sound quality is better than the Hilo, the Dangerous Convert 2 and the Crane Song Solaris. If you get a chance, give it a listen. I would really like to hear others opinions.

Have to mention also that the ATC SCM20 ASL Pro MKII monitors I've been using for a couple months now are really great and they are allowing me to make far better decisions.

The Apogee Symphony MKII 2x6 SE is definitely a keeper! Now it's time to go through the rest of my equipment and find out what stays and what goes.

Last edited by DarkWoods; 27th July 2018 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Old 27th July 2018
Gear Head
Apogee Symphony MKII 2x6 SE is Silent

Just wanted to update...

Since installing only the 2x6 SE module into the Apogee Symphony MKII, the fan hasn't turned on once! Even letting my room temperature get up to 85 degrees F for a few hours, the fan never once kicked in and the internal temp of the unit hovered around 45-47C.

Anyone looking for a great sounding D/A for monitoring or even D/A A/D conversion for hardware mastering, the Apogee Symphony MKII 2x6 SE is excellent!
Old 27th July 2018
I've been meaning to give the 2x6 a whirl. Glad to hear you're liking it!
Old 7th August 2018
Lives for gear

I compared the 2x6 SE module to the 8x8 symphony Mk II module and the difference is big. 2x6 SE is much clearer, punchier, crisper, 3D. 8x8 Mk II is warmer, smoother, more analog. I prefer the 2X6 SE as I could add in the exact amount of warmth needed with plugins, but would be nice to have both flavors, they are very different.
Old 7th August 2018
Gear Head
Glad someone else heard the same improvement! I find that I can sometimes make small differences in sound, bigger than they are. From the first listen of the new 2x6SE module, I instantly heard the difference - the sound is exactly as you describe!
Old 9th August 2018
Here for the gear

Alright! Finally some inside experience with the 2x6se!

I’m new here and Hello everyone!

I’ve been very interested in this module since it’s announcement, but haven’t found any reviews or experience with it online sans the Tom Lord-Alge endorsement... Very cool to see it’s been preferred over the Convert-2, Hilo, and even the Solaris! I would be VERY curious to see how it stacks up to the Burl B2
DAC as well. Nice to meet you guys
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I just added the 2X6 SE card as Module #2 to my 16X16 and I agree with everyone, I am highly impressed with the quality of the 2X6 SE card.

I also have a Pure2 and can easily tell the difference with A/D mix prints and also, the SE card dynamic headroom does what the spec says, offering a superior result at mastering clipping (loudness boosting) than the Pure2.

I'm using the Symphony MK II 16 outs into a Dangerous 2-Bus+, and on Input 17/18, the SE card make the MK II into an entire second unit, really 2 units in 1 box.

By far the most valued piece in my rack and the best investment I've made for my workflow.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Don’t own one myself, but I clipped the heck out of it at my buddy’s place the other day and it was responding great.

I currently own a Merging HAPI with the Ardatech chip (previous owner of Pure 2, and Lynx Hilo)

2x6 SE A/D section is definitely the real deal.

Lots of options out there in that $ range, and it’s no replacement for skill at your craft, but it more than hangs with the usual suspects. Outstanding all in one mastering rig for the money.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=DigitalDrugLord;13585250]I just added the 2X6 SE card as Module #2 to my 16X16 and I agree with everyone, I am highly impressed with the quality of the 2X6 SE card.

I also have a Pure2 and can easily tell the difference with A/D mix prints and also, the SE card dynamic headroom does what the spec says, offering a superior result at mastering clipping (loudness boosting) than the Pure2.

I'm using the Symphony MK II 16 outs into a Dangerous 2-Bus+, and on Input 17/18, the SE card make the MK II into an entire second unit, really 2 units in 1 box.

By far the most valued piece in my rack and the best investment I've made

Hello

I v got a simple question for you ?
How did you made your routing without getting loop feedback when recording. ?

Cause i have a orion 32 and an apogee symphony i/o mk1 coupled with aggregate to a ssl sigma and when i m pressing record there are loads of feedback loop

Thanks in advance.

Wheelon
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Missed this post originally. Big fan of the Convert-2 and Solaris (finally heard one) - to say this pips them both (your preference of course) has piqued my interest. I planned on a Titan but will be sure to audition this next to it.

Thanks
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDrugLord View Post
I just added the 2X6 SE card as Module #2 to my 16X16 and I agree with everyone, I am highly impressed with the quality of the 2X6 SE card.
Do you experience any fan noise with that setup?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01010110 View Post
Do you experience any fan noise with that setup?
I've yet to notice any.. I have it directly in an open-back rack on my workstation left side. Just now I placed my ear to the unit and there's no noticeable fan noise. It's been a dream product thus far.
Attached Thumbnails
Apogee Symphony MKII 2x6 SE Mastering Edition-img_7947.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search