The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I just bought this..... Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Gear Addict
 
chazmar's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
I just bought this.....




DBC-M Mastering Grade Audio Compressor - Buzz Audio


Do you like? It's quite ugly but after searching again and again for a mastering compressor at a lower cost that has everything I want, it hit the mark.

I used a Manley Vari Mu for years and never completely liked it - I thought the high dollar factors were extraneous in every way.
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Gear Maniac
 
Magnus Lindberg's Avatar
 

Yea its a great piece, and good value aswell. Super for pushing a mix forward.
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Gear Addict
 
chazmar's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus Lindberg View Post
Yea its a great piece, and good value aswell. Super for pushing a mix forward.
Thanks, man.
Old 6 days ago
  #4
Gear Addict
 
chazmar's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
This too. I've always wanted a "Red". If I don't use it I'll be happy to put it on a thrown so I can simply ogle it,



Old 2 days ago
  #5
Gear Addict
 
Channel time's Avatar
Totally rate the DBC-M.
Prefer it it most cases over e.g. API2500 and compliments the Manley Vari Mu nicely
It has a surprising versatility too depending how you push it.
Old 2 days ago
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazmar View Post



DBC-M Mastering Grade Audio Compressor - Buzz Audio


Do you like? It's quite ugly but after searching again and again for a mastering compressor at a lower cost that has everything I want, it hit the mark.

I used a Manley Vari Mu for years and never completely liked it - I thought the high dollar factors were extraneous in every way.
Have you tried the HCL Vari? As a counterpart to the Buzz (Although for certain material, and mixing, I loved the Manley) I needed something a wee bit more flexible, and this has really fit the bill. Does the slower tube compression thing, especially at x2, but yet still very fast when needed. FF and FB modes and many more options to note. I had a tech go through mine to tweak a few minor things when I fist got it, and he was very impressed with the design and quality. I've had my unit for nearly 2 years now, and it still finds it's way onto a lot of mixes.

Just an opinion for a Vari that is big bang for the buck, and more than a one trick pony.
Old 2 days ago
  #7
Gear Addict
 
chazmar's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by engmix View Post
Have you tried the HCL Vari? As a counterpart to the Buzz (Although for certain material, and mixing, I loved the Manley) I needed something a wee bit more flexible, and this has really fit the bill. Does the slower tube compression thing, especially at x2, but yet still very fast when needed. FF and FB modes and many more options to note. I had a tech go through mine to tweak a few minor things when I fist got it, and he was very impressed with the design and quality. I've had my unit for nearly 2 years now, and it still finds it's way onto a lot of mixes.

Just an opinion for a Vari that is big bang for the buck, and more than a one trick pony.
I did consider the HCL; however the BA was available at about half its new price used (mint), so I could not pass it up - whether I got a HCL later too, or not.

Having had the Manley VM (and Massive Passive - Mastering) I became a bit of a disbeliever in the money to value area. I have the DBC-M now and had a chance to mess with it for a bit yesterday. The sound is fantastic - very airy, silky, with a lot of breath ..completely 3D, no doubt. I personally see no reason to revisit high cost units (that are getting even higher these days) anymore. With this I believe I can achieve a master that that is just as sufficient; however, I do need more time to get familiar with it and explore some of the nice functions that it has.

That's great that it is working out for you so well too.
Old 1 day ago
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazmar View Post
I did consider the HCL; however the BA was available at about half its new price used (mint), so I could not pass it up - whether I got a HCL later too, or not.

Having had the Manley VM (and Massive Passive - Mastering) I became a bit of a disbeliever in the money to value area. I have the DBC-M now and had a chance to mess with it for a bit yesterday. The sound is fantastic - very airy, silky, with a lot of breath ..completely 3D, no doubt. I personally see no reason to revisit high cost units (that are getting even higher these days) anymore. With this I believe I can achieve a master that that is just as sufficient; however, I do need more time to get familiar with it and explore some of the nice functions that it has.

That's great that it is working out for you so well too.
What I find interesting about the Manley V-Mu, is that Tom Coyne used one on nearly every master I did with him..I often attended the sessions. The needles were barely moving, but I have to say that Tom's masters were nothing short of outstanding. Based on a message from Manley on his V-Mu, I always assumed it was custom built for him. And it seems as though the tech guys over at Sterling often have a hand in upgrading what comes in as well. It could be far and above the stock units, which again for me I did like, just not on everything.

Glad the Buzz is working out well...superb company!

By the way, just a thought. I had the power supply in my Vari upgraded, and it made quite a positive difference. Some of the more budget friendly devices often have to compromise somewhere to keep the prices down, which isn't always ideal when talking about circuitry, and mastering. You might want to consider having a tech go through your Buzz and see if there's something that can be elevated to super-charge it so to speak. Sometimes even just dropping the noise floor can make a profound difference.

Either way, good luck with the new kit!
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump