The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
"/" or ":" in Song Title = Problem?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
"/" or ":" in Song Title = Problem?

Hi all,

How much, if any, of a problem do you think it is to put "/" or ":" in track titles when they will be put online and those characters are also used in HTML and such? Any other characters to avoid? or is it a non-issue?

Thanks!
Old 6 days ago
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Colons ":" should not be an issue as they are required for correct formatting of classical music data and metadata that would be otherwise rejected.
Not sure about slash or backslah, what would you think may be an issue?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
Hi all,

How much, if any, of a problem do you think it is to put "/" or ":" in track titles when they will be put online and those characters are also used in HTML and such? Any other characters to avoid? or is it a non-issue?

Thanks!
/ is afaik not aloud in filenames (windows), for cd-text your on the save side if you use ASCII

!"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\]^_
`abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz{|}~
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I keep slashes out of file names and replace with an underscore but slashes can definitely be in the song title metadata for WAV and MP3, as well as for CD-Text.
Old 6 days ago
I also remove slashes because it can causes issues with Reaper (although I did find a setting to fix this .. what DOESN'T Reaper have a setting for?) and also dropbox IIRC. Just for files / folders though, not meta data.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I also came across a weird issue where if a file name has a question mark and you zip up the folder on a Mac, when somebody on a PC unzips it (or extracts it as I believe the term is on Windows), the file name with the question mark will not be there.

For this reason I replace any question marks in file names with an underscore but again, the question mark can be in the metadata/CD-Text.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Yeah, those are the kinds of things that give me pause. Certain characters tend to bring out bugs in certain software. You never know what pitfalls might be out there in people's software after a song is released...
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member

Last edited by Trakworx; 5 days ago at 06:34 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search