The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Building a new computer! Video Editing Software
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Building a new computer!

Hey guys, I figure I'll post here because this computer is going to be used mostly for mastering purposes. I posted over in another thread as sort of an off-topic comment, but figure I'll post here too so that I can gather more info from guys who are using computers built for mastering.

I'm looking to spend $1000 to $1500 in Canada to build a PC from scratch. I'll likely run Windows 7 or 10. My budget is set there right now, but it would be good to include a motherboard that will allow for certain key components upgraded as necessary in the future.

It was suggested that I build something around an i7 8700k, which is a 6-core, 12-thread cpu, and possibly use an ASUS z370. But I am open to all suggestions. On any given day, I can test out a plethora of plugins, but I typically run TDR stuff, Airwindows, and AA/Nebula stuff. The AA/N4 instances are by far the heaviest resource users.

I will be testing out Studio One 3 and Wavelab on here too, but I'll probably run Reaper from the start. In the near future, I'm looking for a new room, and possibly to build one to custom calibration specs with a small team of friends and myself. After that, it will be investing in hardware. That's the plan. It will be a fun journey .... For now, I'm trying to start out humbly and do what I can to improve my sound and workflow.

Thanks very much to anyone who contributes. There are some really helpful folks around here, so thanks in advance indeed to anyone who takes the time to comment.
Old 1 week ago
i builded a computer right now for mastering using

Mainboard Z370
Power Supply 620 Watt
Intel Core i7-8700K 6x 3,7 GHz, HT | Coffee Lake
Geforce GT 1030, 2 GB
16 GB, 2 x 8 GB, DDR4
SSD 2,5" | 2 TB
HDD 3,5" | 7200 RPM | 2 TB
GIGABYTE ALPINE RIDGE 1.0 Thunderbolt 3
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

DA-X made the computer, they have a good support and build only computer for audio
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post

Mainboard Z370
Power Supply 620 Watt
Geforce GT 1030, 2 GB
16 GB, 2 x 8 GB, DDR4
SSD 2,5" | 2 TB
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

DA-X made the computer, they have a good support and build only computer for audio
teebaum, thank you very much for commentin and listing your specs. I have read a lot of your posts and have learned a lot from your insights! I liked reading through the Soma and Michelangelo threads and seeing what you and others had to say. Have you tried the computer yet, or is it being put together?

Looks like I am on the right track ( @Martel80 good recommendations ).

Last edited by rosewood123; 1 week ago at 02:50 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
teebaum, thank you very much for commentin and listing your specs. I have read a lot of your posts and have learned a lot from your insights! I liked reading through the Soma and Michelangelo threads and seeing what you and others had to say. Have you tried the computer yet, or is it being put together?

Looks like I am on the right track (@Martel80, good recommendations ).
i get the computer some weeks ago but never found enough time to make it ready, but the last 3 days i was working on it and since this afternoon i made many tests with it - works perfect.
win10 is also solid as a rock.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:

Looks like I am on the right track ( @Martel80 good recommendations ).

Just make sure to be careful when choosing your Motherboard.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post

Mainboard Z370
Power Supply 620 Watt
Geforce GT 1030, 2 GB
16 GB, 2 x 8 GB, DDR4
SSD 2,5" | 2 TB
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Just wondering about the HDD's. Why didn't you go for SSD as well? Presuming that the ssd is your systemdisk and the other's are in raid config for audio.
I have a seperate SSD for audio and it's way faster then a regular hdd, SSD and never looked back. My NAS for backups has regular HDD's in raid5 comfig though.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by da goose View Post
Just wondering about the HDD's. Why didn't you go for SSD as well? Presuming that the ssd is your systemdisk and the other's are in raid config for audio.
I have a seperate SSD for audio and it's way faster then a regular hdd, SSD and never looked back. My NAS for backups has regular HDD's in raid5 comfig though.
And hdd's are noisy if your computer is near of your working area : only ssd, passive graphic card and passive power supply are essentials for me...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I generally dislike changing computer systems, however there comes a tipping point and once I get into the process, for a good while it reinvigorates my interest in PC hardware/software/OS/upgrades. I ended up rather enjoying it. I recently put a custom SCAN audio PC into service that I have been testing for 18 months with my trusted and new software installed.

Very pleased with the performance and stability so far. I also self upgraded a music making, and office (upload/download) machine. This blog entry might be of interest :

Audio related pc upgrades

Whilst mastering is not necessarily that CPU intensive, given most let the analogue racks do the heavy lifting, I recommend going for the fastest CPU you can. It gives you the headroom for software developments in the forthcoming years (there is always some killer CPU hog plug in you will fancy) It saves the trouble and expense of upgrading to the fastest CPU your mainboard socket can take at a later date. I say expense as CPUs have an interesting second hand price dynamic, catch it wrong and you can end up paying almost as much as a new generation cpu !

In addition, once configured, I hardware cloned the system SSD on the mastering studio machine to a Samsung 850 Pro so I can go from broke system hard drive to back to working in 5 mins. (and tested it does just that to avoid any gotchas.)

Last edited by SASMastering; 6 days ago at 02:21 PM..
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
i built mine a couple years ago.

win7 64
asus mobo
i7 4ghz quad core
32g ram
650 watt power supply

screaming fast and super stable. i keep it offline which is maybe unnecessary but certainly doesn't hurt.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranx View Post
And hdd's are noisy if your computer is near of your working area : only ssd, passive graphic card and passive power supply are essentials for me...
the computer is in the next room

Quote:
Originally Posted by da goose View Post
this is a "grown structure", but I work almost exclusively on the ssd's (there are also external).
one hd is for other data, the other is a kind of "cache".
externally I have about 20 terra again and usb 3.1 is fast
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Several DAW manufacturers list the proven components that will work with their software. (ie.. Merging.. etc.. ) I tend to go with what they have already tested.

PC Configurations for Merging
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

I've got an Asus Strix Z370-H shipping to my local store for me. It was on sale for a really good price, so I'm starting there and will proceed forward with the other parts. I'm set on the i7 8700k.

I was considering the Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 fan, but the guy there said I could get better liquid cooling at a better price, or go with something in the same ballpark for a much better price and then put those savings into an acoustically shielded case, or keep the savings and go with a less expensive case. I am honestly a bit skeptical about the need to reduce fan noise .... The tower will be under my desk, and it can't get that loud. The other concern here -- and I might take some flak for this -- is that the acoustically shielded case doesn't show off the dazzling motherboard, which looks like a supercharged Transformer with a ruby red LED glow. It may be superficial, but I'd argue that there's merit to the "wow" factor. And I don't really want to display the side of the case that holds all of the really nice hardware, but the hardware itself. So, decisions to be made.

The guy at the store said the GeForce GT 1030 is a really good choice. It's not too pricey but can still run two monitors at 2 or 4k.

Power supplies are surprisingly inexpensive. I'm happy with the prices for such a potentially well performing machine.

(Edit: I realize I may be coming off as an idiot by putting aesthetics over noise. Sound is still the #1 concern. I just wonder how much of an issue it really is.)

Last edited by rosewood123; 6 days ago at 05:07 AM..
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

If your computer is under your desk, I think you'll hear it if you don't use the more fanless components you can and ssd's. And I would suggest something like noctua fan for processor and tower cooling.
After that, you won't hear your computer at all, your monitor's may be more noisy than your computer, or your dac or both (and a noisy computer is very annoying , again if it's in the same working room, so what, you can move it, like Teebaum, in another room, it depends on your priorities)
But that's just an advice and my opinion of course, based on long test.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
I've got an Asus Strix Z370-H shipping to my local store for me. It was on sale for a really good price, so I'm starting there and will proceed forward with the other parts. I'm set on the i7 8700k.

I was considering the Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 fan, but the guy there said I could get better liquid cooling at a better price, or go with something in the same ballpark for a much better price and then put those savings into an acoustically shielded case, or keep the savings and go with a less expensive case. I am honestly a bit skeptical about the need to reduce fan noise .... The tower will be under my desk, and it can't get that loud. The other concern here -- and I might take some flak for this -- is that the acoustically shielded case doesn't show off the dazzling motherboard, which looks like a supercharged Transformer with a ruby red LED glow. It may be superficial, but I'd argue that there's merit to the "wow" factor. And I don't really want to display the side of the case that holds all of the really nice hardware, but the hardware itself. So, decisions to be made.

The guy at the store said the GeForce GT 1030 is a really good choice. It's not too pricey but can still run two monitors at 2 or 4k.

Power supplies are surprisingly inexpensive. I'm happy with the prices for such a potentially well performing machine.

(Edit: I realize I may be coming off as an idiot by putting aesthetics over noise. Sound is still the #1 concern. I just wonder how much of an issue it really is.)
Have you been able to find articles presenting DPc latency for your strix z370-h and i7-8700k ? ( i checked real fast and found nothing )

Also, for what reason are you buying a GPU ?
Are you planing on doing video rendering or gaming ?
I need to inform you that nvidia drivers run extra process that can be conflicting or juice sucking with your AD/DA.
On the other hand, Radeon doesnt.
Also, a GPU bring extra heat in your case....also a reason you might want to consider when thinking about adding a GPU in a case.

For your PSU, I suggest you get something 300%more powerful then your build consumption so the PSU fan always run very low. ( No sound )
Same for case Fans, maybe look for nocturna 120mm fans, theres some version bearingless and really less noisy. Same thing with your Radiator fan. Again, less noise and less heat.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Thanks for the help, guys. This is my first build, so the guidance is appreciated.

I think the best plan of action is going with a noiseless fan like noctua, and maybe a tower with a glass window, maybe without. We'll see.

Martel80, I will definitely not be gaming. However, I occasionally work on video projects, so the GPU will be somewhat useful.

Nice tip with the PSU! Sounds good. Regarding DPC latency, there is remarkably little info about z370 boards out there. I was able to find this: https://www.eteknix.com/asus-rog-str...ming-review/8/ It's tough to find DPC info about 300 series boards, which I'll need to run the i7 8700k ....

Edit: I am tempted by that X299-E, but it's double the price of the Z370-H, and I can't run the 8th gen cpu, obviously.

I should mention that the Z370-H is only transferring stores at this point; I haven't yet purchased it, so I still have five days or so to decide.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Not the STRIX Z370-H, but the sister STRIX Z370-I
https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018...board_review/4

Anyway the latency depends on may things
z370 motherboards ranked by DPC latency?

May have less latency problems with AMD GPU
DPC latency better with AMD graphic cards (3 card comparison)

You may find interesting
Anyone runs DAW with i7 8700K overclocked to 5.0 GHz?

For PSU use the calculator
https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
PSU reviews http://www.jonnyguru.com

For SSD endurance check here and for HD endurance check here.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictus View Post
Not the STRIX Z370-H, but the sister STRIX Z370-I
https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018...board_review/4

Anyway the latency depends on may things
z370 motherboards ranked by DPC latency?

May have less latency problems with AMD GPU
DPC latency better with AMD graphic cards (3 card comparison)

You may find interesting
Anyone runs DAW with i7 8700K overclocked to 5.0 GHz?

For PSU use the calculator
https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
PSU reviews http://www.jonnyguru.com

For SSD endurance check here and for HD endurance check here.
Thanks very much for this. 64 us for latency ... pretty good. I actually just did the calculation on outervision too before you posted. I think by Martel80's recommendation, I'll need a PSU 750w+. I'll check out the reviews and other things in the morning .... For now, it is way past my bedtime. Thanks again.
Old 5 days ago
Look at the highest reported dpc on pictus picture....

Like I told you, if you dont need a GPU, dont buy one and if you need one, you should go with radeon.

Nvidia drivers create high dpc.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
Look at the highest reported dpc on pictus picture....

Like I told you, if you dont need a GPU, dont buy one and if you need one, you should go with radeon.

Nvidia drivers create high dpc.
359.74 from the nvidia kernel?

I wouldn't mind at all not having to buy a GPU (less money to spend). In all honesty, I didn't know the CPU could handle enough of the graphics processing and I figured I'd need a discrete GPU. I am clueless sometimes when it comes to hardware ... but, knowing my limitations, that's why I posted!

So yeah, I suppose I won't buy one, see how the performance goes, and go from there (as long as the 8700k has a section that processes graphics, which I assume it does. Will google momentarily).
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
359.74 from the nvidia kernel?

I wouldn't mind at all not having to buy a GPU (less money to spend). In all honesty, I didn't know the CPU could handle enough of the graphics processing and I figured I'd need a discrete GPU. I am clueless sometimes when it comes to hardware ... but, knowing my limitations, that's why I posted!

So yeah, I suppose I won't buy one, see how the performance goes, and go from there (as long as the 8700k has a section that processes graphics, which I assume it does. Will google momentarily).
Yes, a lot of consumer cpu now have what AMD called APU. All integrated Graphic unit.

I believe your 8700k has a HD 630 but I might be wrong.

If you dont need cuda ( Adobe product use it a lot ) for video processing, and want a GPU, check out Radeon units. It wont kill your cpu speed to communicate with the south and north bridge on your motherboard.

Imagine adding 10 times the latency so lose your built capacity to communicate efficiently just because you choose an nvidia product.....
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
Yes, a lot of consumer cpu now have what AMD called APU. All integrated Graphic unit.

I believe your 8700k has a HD 630 but I might be wrong.

If you dont need cuda ( Adobe product use it a lot ) for video processing, and want a GPU, check out Radeon units. It wont kill your cpu speed to communicate with the south and north bridge on your motherboard.

Imagine adding 10 times the latency so lose your built capacity to communicate efficiently just because you choose an nvidia product.....
I will look into Radeon. Does it take much configuration to swap a nvidia GPU in and out? I suppose I might sometimes use Adobe Premiere, but not always. (As I mentioned, this will primarily be an audio computer).

Once I get a new room, this computer will be more so dedicated to audio.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Any articles on this alleged extra latency if using an Nvidia card?
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post
Any articles on this alleged extra latency if using an Nvidia card?
Here:

Nvidia dpc latency issue

You could also just scroll up and look at picus screenshot.

Dont sprain your finger on your scrollwheel on your way there.
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
I will look into Radeon. Does it take much configuration to swap a nvidia GPU in and out? I suppose I might sometimes use Adobe Premiere, but not always. (As I mentioned, this will primarily be an audio computer).

Once I get a new room, this computer will be more so dedicated to audio.
It can be complicated.,,,at least too much for me.

Open your case, remove the GPU, close the case , boot from another monitor output source, uninstall the nvidia drivers and control panels, reboot.

Not for me.....
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search