The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
new Eq to pair with Tube-Tech HLT2A and API 5500 Equalisers (HW)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

new Eq to pair with Tube-Tech HLT2A and API 5500

Dear Fellows,
I'm thinking on purchasing a new equaliser.

I know this is a very personal thing...and kinda hilarious but, which one do you think would be a better complement to this chain?

On a search for a clean eq with a good precision (low mid range cuts and tight lows). Due to my budget restrictions, I came to the conclusion that these two equalisers (1 and 2) are my main contenders. The maselec is a little bit out (red line budget) but I really like it...will see.

1.Elysia Museq

2. SPL Passeq (the new version)

3. Maselec MEA 2

Thank you all!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Caveat - I used to do some work with Prism Sound in the U.S. who distribute the Maselec line. That said, I owned my MEA2 long before that and used it for many years.

I haven't heard the musEQ so no opinion there, I liked what I heard of the PassEQ but the user interface was frustrating to me.

Unless you are deeply in love with the API 5500 (I absolutely hated how it sounded) then I would suggest selling that and getting the Maselec. It was my only hardware EQ for many years.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Another question: do you use the standard HLT 2A instead of the M-Version? How is working in masteriing and with its big gain ranges? Any usefull moves possible, and how is recall? The M-Version is without my interest, unfortunately and for distinct reasons.

Regarding yours: yes, maybe its wiser to let the 5500 go for a moment. The Museq feels a bit limited to me for a real main EQ. And the Passeq is just a bit different. The MEA seems to be a question of taste and there are other contenders to look at too: Barry Porter custom build, SPLs PQ, Eksa, Oakfield EQ...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruairi View Post
Caveat - I used to do some work with Prism Sound in the U.S. who distribute the Maselec line. That said, I owned my MEA2 long before that and used it for many years.

I haven't heard the musEQ so no opinion there, I liked what I heard of the PassEQ but the user interface was frustrating to me.

Unless you are deeply in love with the API 5500 (I absolutely hated how it sounded) then I would suggest selling that and getting the Maselec. It was my only hardware EQ for many years.
but do you think that (the new) Passeq it's versatile enough? The interface could be a downside for sure...

thank you!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ View Post
Another question: do you use the standard HLT 2A instead of the M-Version? How is working in masteriing and with its big gain ranges? Any usefull moves possible, and how is recall? The M-Version is without my interest, unfortunately and for distinct reasons.

Regarding yours: yes, maybe its wiser to let the 5500 go for a moment. The Museq feels a bit limited to me for a real main EQ. And the Passeq is just a bit different. The MEA seems to be a question of taste and there are other contenders to look at too: Barry Porter custom build, SPLs PQ, Eksa, Oakfield EQ...
Yes I use the standard version. I had the opportunity to test both. Comparing the standard with the master version, sonically, everything was there...and that was my main goal...besides, I thought the price difference didn't justify...at least for me!

the recall and the gain ranges: well, I think with time, we get used to it and we start develop some "strategies" (a printed sheet with the knobs...(a la Elysia style), or a quick photo, etc).

I think the standard version gives you great possibilities. You have spend a little more time setting it up but, as someone's said: "...there's a lot of good things going on those intervals"

The only thing I don't like is the left/right image

-----------------------

Have you ever tried the Elysia? I have the perception (false or not) that it could be very interesting (the warm mode, the filters, shelfs, ressonance)...the most visible downside could be the reduced Q option?!

You said the Passeq is different. could you please be a little more specific, thank you!

I really like the lows on the API (for boost)...also the 1.5khz; 5khz sometimes are great. The tube-tech is wonderful in the highs (boost and cut), Lows too, but, sometimes is a little too big. So I'm on a search for a multipurpose/workhorse EQ (great for mid cut and boost)...the options you gave are great the budget is always a problem
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Seems like if you're looking for Precision you should want full Q control. The MusEq always intrigued me as well. But I would probably agree with others that of the contenders, the Maselec probably gives the most precision. And I too think it would probably be worth it to sell the API to get it. There are lots of options but many get higher in cost although the Maselec wont be cheap. And there are several versions so make sure you know which one you are buying. But there is no perfect answer of course.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Why not the SPL PQ?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
looks like you need a (used?)
maselec, sontec (clone), porter (oakfield, hcl) , buzz req, knif elsa, massenburg...
spl use this stupid 41-position dented potentiometers, it's a 'no go' for me (I'm not the only one, do you find easy a used spl pq). musEQ o haven't hear till now, the smaller elysia stuff didn't excited me really.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by fccmt View Post
1.Elysia Museq

2. SPL Passeq (the new version)

3. Maselec MEA 2

why not the millennia nseq-ff (with Fred Forssell mod) on the list?
is the museq much more precise than the nseq-ff?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Yes I use the standard version. I had the opportunity to test both. Comparing the standard with the master version, sonically, everything was there...and that was my main goal...besides, I thought the price difference didn't justify...at least for me!

the recall and the gain ranges: well, I think with time, we get used to it and we start develop some "strategies" (a printed sheet with the knobs...(a la Elysia style), or a quick photo, etc).

I think the standard version gives you great possibilities. You have spend a little more time setting it up but, as someone's said: "...there's a lot of good things going on those intervals"

The only thing I don't like is the left/right image
Thanks. What wrong with the image? I suspect bad matched potis (which would be a shame considering price and reputation)?

-----------------------
Quote:
Have you ever tried the Elysia? I have the perception (false or not) that it could be very interesting (the warm mode, the filters, shelfs, ressonance)...the most visible downside could be the reduced Q option?!
No, in the end not. Lacking the Qs and I own to much "clean" EQs already (ADT, Roger Schult, Barry Porter).

Quote:
You said the Passeq is different. could you please be a little more specific, thank you!
I just meant its a passive design with some technical limitation compared to "real" main EQs. What I heard from it soundwise was quite impressive.

I had opened a thread* about a new 3rd EQ here some month ago as I looked for a replacement for my Mini Massive (which color felt a bit to obvious in my setup), but everything I looked at doesnt really seem to fit either. So I stayed with the MM. But thinking about adding the new G23-S or the HLT (hence my question) maybe... Dont know, to be true I dont really feel about needing more gear, but in the end we are just gearslutz, arent we... I just have to stop reading gear threads here, maybe...

The Barry Porter gets often use for mid cuts here. But also the new Magpha EQ PlugIn lately.
The RS has some quite natural sounding mids too and is the most flexible EQ regarding Q Im aware of.

*Replacing my 3rd EQ

Last edited by JP__; 1 week ago at 09:00 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
...thinking about adding the new G23-S or the HLT
i think everyone should hear the hlt at least once!
it's that great!
i have the non-stepped version too. seems to work for me greatly.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamelesssounds View Post
i think everyone should hear the hlt at least once!
it's that great!
i have the non-stepped version too. seems to work for me greatly.
hlt & g23 seem at first to have similar concepts, but are acoustically similar to ying&yang
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I have MusEQ and Pass EQ

None of those is used for cuts here - too wide Q for my taste.

Elysia is very musical and sounds very natural. I almost always use the wide Q.

Warm mode is never on in mastering, used it few times on stems. Slows down the transients too much.

Overall my first to grab EQ - to create a basic tonal balance .

Pass EQ - I have the original version for almost 10 years - LOVE it for its nice transformer saturation and otherwise very clean and musical boosts. Never ever used cuts on it in a mastering situation.

I would go for SPL PQ - which excels in cutting (I use it mainly as a cut EQ) and also has lovely sounding boosts. More expensive, but there are more options.

Hope this helps a bit

Best,

Gregor
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post
Why not the SPL PQ?
Funny that Slug referred that link, I've been following Streaky's youtube Channel for quite a while... I never had the opportunity to test the PQ but makes sense what he says on that review...plus I read somewhere in the forum that, significant changes were made, in order to reduce a little bit on the price, and that, affected the sound/performance of the unity for worst...but I must say, it looks quite impressive...the ergonomics doesn't scare me, it's just a matter of time to get use to it...for me, and as a musician, the most important is how it sounds!

Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Funny that Slug referred that link, I've been following Streaky's youtube Channel for quite a while... I never had the opportunity to test the PQ but makes sense what he says on that review...plus I read somewhere in the forum that, significant changes were made, in order to reduce a little bit on the price, and that, affected the sound/performance of the unity for worst...but I must say, it looks quite impressive...the ergonomics doesn't scare me, it's just a matter of time to get use to it...for me, and as a musician, the most important is how it sounds!

Thanks!
Sounds great And personally I prefer the stepped pots - allows for much finer and more musical adjustments.

Recall is easy
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor z View Post
I have MusEQ and Pass EQ

None of those is used for cuts here - too wide Q for my taste.

Elysia is very musical and sounds very natural. I almost always use the wide Q.

Warm mode is never on in mastering, used it few times on stems. Slows down the transients too much.

Overall my first to grab EQ - to create a basic tonal balance .

Pass EQ - I have the original version for almost 10 years - LOVE it for its nice transformer saturation and otherwise very clean and musical boosts. Never ever used cuts on it in a mastering situation.

I would go for SPL PQ - which excels in cutting (I use it mainly as a cut EQ) and also has lovely sounding boosts. More expensive, but there are more options.

Hope this helps a bit

Best,

Gregor
Thank you for your insight!

I must say that the Elysia concept speaks to me...the only drawback is the Q (or could be)...but like everyone else in here, or at least I suppose so, we have the backup from a good digital EQ...they can very well complement each other...although the hardware is much more intuitive, at least for me...arrgh!

SPL says that the new PassEQ is more musical and the Q is better tuned...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thanks. What wrong with the image? I suspect bad matched potis (which would be a shame considering price and reputation)?

*Replacing my 3rd EQ
Yes it was. Unfortunately I had a problem with the Tilt and Lows freq selection pots, and at the moment, my unity is under a warranty repair...I cannot see myself working without this tool. This malfunction opened my eyes and led me to this search...

I must say, the HLT2A sounds absolutely gorgeous!! It's a modern, open big sound and very versatile (for cutting and boosting). If you have the chance, I definitely advice you to try it!

I definitely agree with you, to many gear can lead us to distractions. At the moment, your (and other members) advice, is growing up on me. I'm coming to the conclusion that I only need the HLT2A and other solid main clean EQ...though, the API is also great
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post
looks like you need a (used?)
maselec, sontec (clone), porter (oakfield, hcl) , buzz req, knif elsa, massenburg...
spl use this stupid 41-position dented potentiometers, it's a 'no go' for me (I'm not the only one, do you find easy a used spl pq). musEQ o haven't hear till now, the smaller elysia stuff didn't excited me really.

I agree! 41 it's to many and it can be a little tricky...at least at the beginning...

It's not that easy to find a used one...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Thank you for your insight!

I must say that the Elysia concept speaks to me...the only drawback is the Q (or could be)...but like everyone else in here, or at least I suppose so, we have the backup from a good digital EQ...they can very well complement each other...although the hardware is much more intuitive, at least for me...arrgh!

SPL says that the new PassEQ is more musical and the Q is better tuned...
You can always try a plugin - to get the basic idea how it behaves

MusEQ & Pass EQ are available on Plugin Alliance
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY12RC0wAYQ&t=29s

I love Streaky. He bugs me out fuh real bruh! Hilarious! He makes me laugh.
I think that Streaky should really try to understand the EQ properly before giving misinformation on aspects such as link and proportional Q. If you are going to post a review at least get your head around the technical aspects first!
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
I think that Streaky should really try to understand the EQ properly before giving misinformation on aspects such as link and proportional Q. If you are going to post a review at least get your head around the technical aspects first!
haha, you're right, of course.
on the other hand, I find it refreshing when someone goes a bit more out of his belly than out of his head.

what i noticed about jonte knif - he listens very carefully to what the mastering engineers want and then tries to implement it, because he says to himself "i don't do the job, i have to ask those who work with it every day, who know what they need".
so his devices.
with spl, on the other hand, I sometimes wonder if they're just desperately trying to be original, or if someone has become too dominant and thinks his own ideas are so great that he just pushes them through.
sometimes the devices are just not built for everyday needs and have funny, confusing features.

i think that with the PQ they would have had a hit in their hands, which they almost negligently forgave.

but maybe I'm just unlucky and incompatible with their ideas.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
haha, you're right, of course.
on the other hand, I find it refreshing when someone goes a bit more out of his belly than out of his head.

what i noticed about jonte knif - he listens very carefully to what the mastering engineers want and then tries to implement it, because he says to himself "i don't do the job, i have to ask those who work with it every day, who know what they need".
so his devices.
with spl, on the other hand, I sometimes wonder if they're just desperately trying to be original, or if someone has become too dominant and thinks his own ideas are so great that he just pushes them through.
sometimes the devices are just not built for everyday needs and have funny, confusing features.

i think that with the PQ they would have had a hit in their hands, which they almost negligently forgave.

but maybe I'm just unlucky and incompatible with their ideas.
I agree. For example, that auto switching feature would be far more useful as an M/S matrix with width. At least then you could run in M/S and use the left as the primary control so matching sides was not so much of an issue. It would make the EQ far more powerful for the money.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
I agree. For example, that auto switching feature would be far more useful as an M/S matrix with width. At least then you could run in M/S and use the left as the primary control so matching sides was not so much of an issue. It would make the EQ far more powerful for the money.
21 dents, a range of 5 & 10dB, labeled for 5dB & a switch "x2", m/s-matrix instead of this strange auto-switch stuff, 2 bands instead of 2 models with bell/shelf - i'm sure spl would sell much more.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I have been on a similar quest, thinking about how to add to my Avalon 747, Summit MPE-200, and Bax.

I have since sold the Summit and Bax and have been looking for my "alpha" eq. Shorter chain.

I have had a very brief demo with the PQ, and loved the sound and having so many choices. Probably wouldn't need any other EQ if I bought it. I wasn't crazy about the interface or feel of the pots or switches, however, and the lack of true switches, black pots, plus the black faceplate made it somewhat difficult to see what I was doing in a dark environment. On the other hand, I run my chain in MS from the computer (Voxengo MSED), so LR matching isn't as critical and I enjoyed being able to really sweep around. Can be extremely surgical OR broad.

The Buzz REQ is the other contender for me, but haven't had a chance to demo it. I think it has a truly wonderful top end that I love.

I think the Soma is masterful, but not being able to get surgical eliminated from my search as my "one eq". If money was no object I'd go Eksa plus Soma and call it a day. Sadly, money IS an object that I don't have enough of to make that happen!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
21 dents, a range of 5 & 10dB, labeled for 5dB & a switch "x2", m/s-matrix instead of this strange auto-switch stuff, 2 bands instead of 2 models with bell/shelf - i'm sure spl would sell much more.
Yep to you and Ben! I love Streaky because he seems like the type that approaches things with his ears and few true moves. When he jumped right in and twisted the knobs with ‘it’s a bit fiddly, hear all those clicks’. I started laughing at that point. And NO SHELVES, but add that bizarre auto bypass thing that for the life of me I can’t understand. And im not sure If the spl proportional q is just like API or different. But if running audio through just improves the sound then sure if you can afford that. But I think the Maselec will that AND give you shelves. But horses for courses!!!
Old 6 hours ago
Gear Nut

Dear fellows, thank you very much for all your replies!

I have the opportunity to buy a used Maselec. How do I know which revision the unity belongs, is it printed in the serial number?

Thank you!
Old 6 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dear fellows, thank you very much for all your replies!

I have the opportunity to buy a used Maselec. How do I know which revision the unity belongs, is it printed in the serial number?

Thank you!
I think it is printed in the serial number. You may want to reach out to Prism. But I think it’s in the serial number.
Old 4 hours ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
I think it is printed in the serial number. You may want to reach out to Prism. But I think it’s in the serial number.
From what I've been told, prism is no longer attached to Maselec...don't know...anyway, I've already reached Maselec...It's printed MEA2-6- could it be the version 6, I guess. Any feedback on this version?
Old 3 hours ago
Lives for gear

There's probably some info online if you dig a bit. Also send a PM to Streaky. He's a major MEA2 user. He might have some insights.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search