The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ITB “Album Sound” Plug In’s? Saturation Plugins
Old 14th April 2018
Gear Nut
ITB “Album Sound” Plug In’s?

I have some old tape synth recordings from 1978 and 1980’s that I need to remove broadband noise and get that “album sound” via mastering ITB. I have the Klanghelm DC8C and SDRR but no de-noise device or mastering EQ.

Any thoughts on other plugs to add to give me a baseline mastering chain? Some music is truly ambient with no rhythm content, some is 80’s style electro pop. Any suggestions welcome!
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear
i don't think any plugins are going to magically give you the album sound (which album?), but if you wanna put together an ITB mastering chain...

RX for denoising
DMG equilibrium/essence/limitless
TDR slick eq/kotelnikov/limiter 6
Old 14th April 2018
Gear Nut
Thanks and good question as to “what album?” I am particularly fond of late 70’s German electronic overall sound of Conny Plank which would include the bands Cluster, Harmonia as well as Ash Ra’s New Age of Earth and Tangerine Dream Phaedra and Rubicon. Not your standard fare I know.

I get that there’s no magic bullet but I could use suggestions (like above) to help clean, warm and normalize the overall mix so I get as fairly consistent sound as possible...
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

This question is difficult to answer.

But playing a game of word association with the expression “make it sound like an album”...

Acustica Purple
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

RX is great for restoration work but quite expensive. I don't know of a cheaper option.

The TDR plugins will give you a very decent ITB mastering chain at a very reasonable cost.

Have you considered that it might be just as cost effective - and certainly more time effective - to hire a mastering engineer with the experience to get you the best results possible?

It's cool if you want to build your own chain and develop your chops, but if it's just a one-off job, it's worth considering all the options.

Last edited by SmoothTone; 15th April 2018 at 06:35 AM..
Old 15th April 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTone View Post
RX is great for restoration work but quite expensive. I don't know of a cheaper option.

The TDR plugins will give you a very decent ITB mastering chain at a very reasonable cost.

Have you considered that it might be just as cost effective - and certainly more time effective - to hire a mastering engineer with the experience to get you the best results possible?

It's cool if you want to build your own chain and develop your chops, but if it's just a one-off job, it's worth considering all the options.
Yes, I may look to outsource this as opposed to doing it myself as well. The music from 1978 is a collaboration with an extremely famous guitarist and producer who may not have the time to do it. Looking at all options.
Old 15th April 2018
Motown legend

Verified Member
You'll probably need to get the tapes baked and transferred. In the U.S., I recommend Sonicraft. Sonicraft A2DX Lab: Ultimate Multitrack Reel to Reel Analog to Digital Transfers
Old 16th April 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Old 17th April 2018
Lives for gear

Your master’s quality is directly linked to
the quality of your mix.

There is no magic mastering plugin. And no
“album sound” plugin. What do you mean,
album sound like Metallica’s “Death Magnetic”?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search