The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Balance Analog Magpha EQ Equalizer Plugins
Old 18th July 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by balancemastering View Post
Thanks all, these are good suggestions.

I'll have a think about the band solo. Personally I'm not a fan of this workflow. A band solo changes the monitored sound dramatically, which for me hurts my ability to hear subtle changes (for a little while until my ears re-adjust). I usually just go for the approach: exaggerated boost/cut, sweep to find an area, then back off the boost/cut to taste. Also, I feel I don't want to clutter the interface more. As usual I'd never say never though.
To avoid clutter could you just not right click or shift/click on the freq knob? No extra buttons and you can still sweep the frequencies.

Adjusting the gain of the soloed frequency can be a way to help the change in monitored sound. I often use the way you mention but the solo band can also be useful in certain circumstances.
Old 18th July 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
I definitely love the faded knobs idea to indicate a band that is off. I'll add this, I just need to figure out how to code it
Happy days! An option to set the HEX colour of the active dots would be icing on the cake.

Last edited by b0se; 18th July 2018 at 11:32 PM..
Old 18th July 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
And perhaps just shelf icons for the shelf bands?

Narrow sweeping/soloing, to the inexperienced, can make everything sound like a problem. The skill is in first being able to hear in your mind any changes needed, then apply it. Any EQ that encourages or forces the user to listen can only be a good thing. Few who use a real Sontec/Maselec/GML/SPL mastering EQ have needed band soloing to do excellent work.
Old 18th July 2018
Gear Maniac
Tilt option? Set a centre frequency and adjust up or down.
Old 18th July 2018
Gear Addict

I prefer no solo, it teaches you to be better.
Old 19th July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomaster View Post
Tilt option? Set a centre frequency and adjust up or down.
Yes thanks, I have thought about this. I reckon I'll make this as an separate plugin, since a tilt is a great to be able to put it anywhere in the chain.

I need to think on this and figure what's the best way to do it. Whatever happens though it will have Magpha's EQ engine.
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
A small usability request: an option for bands OFF by default. That will work well with the faded inactive bands. Enable then use, rather disabling those you don't (which I've been doing).

Last edited by b0se; 19th July 2018 at 03:40 PM..
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I happily pay for a good sounding software tilt. Would be a great addition to my toolbox.
Please keep Magpha EQ as clean and simple as it is. There are so many other plug ins around for the techies...

Regarding all bands off by default I just created a preset which is loaded as default in reaper.
Old 19th July 2018
Gear Addict

I tested this EQ a while ago. I just wanted stepped 0.25 dB steps instead of all numbers, was this request featured and added at some point?
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Having thought about it a bit more I agree with the above - would prefer to leave this EQ as it is. Tilt is another function and should be a separate plugin.
Old 22nd July 2018
Gear Head

UPDATE v2.1.0 – Fade / Mono / Quarter dB

Hi all, here's the next version with features and fixes.

Mainly the faded knobs when bypassed, mono track compatibility (e.g. Logic/Protools etc.), quarter dB steps for Joe

v2.1.0
  • Now mono track compatible.
  • Fade knobs when band is off.
  • Option for quarter dB steps (half dB when double gain enabled).
  • Fix double gain range clipping to +/-9dB on project reload.
  • Fix raised CPU usage when playback stopped.

Paid and existing demo users check your email for the link.

New users just head to the main page to download:
Balance Analog Magpha EQ plugin. — Balance Mastering

Thanks again,
John & Eleanor.
Old 22nd July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by melopie View Post
I tested this EQ a while ago. I just wanted stepped 0.25 dB steps instead of all numbers, was this request featured and added at some point?
yes, just now
Old 22nd July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness View Post
Ideas

- Would be nice to see the band is engaged on the knob itself, hard to keep track when you have a few engaged
- If it's steps, maybe steps which match up to a usual mastering workflow
Hi Joe these ideas are now implemented in v2.1.0
Old 22nd July 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Fantastic update @balancemastering. Thanks for listening!
Old 22nd July 2018
Gear Addict

Thank you a lot!
Old 22nd July 2018
Lives for gear
FINALLY!!! Mono version. Super happy to see that this eq is doing so well and getting better. I thought I was alone on the first week of its release. Also glad to see the newer release with its unique function. Ive been anticipating that since speaking privately with the developer about it. In the mean time I was using Soundspot's Paradox for a couple weeks for that purpose but I guess it time to compare.

Hoping for a hp/lp plug next.
Old 22nd July 2018
Gear Addict

Best ITB EQ just getting better. Thank you @balancemastering for responding so fast to our suggestions.
Old 23rd July 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Yes thanks, I have thought about this. I reckon I'll make this as an separate plugin, since a tilt is a great to be able to put it anywhere in the chain.

I need to think on this and figure what's the best way to do it. Whatever happens though it will have Magpha's EQ engine.
Perhaps a super simple Tilt freebie plugin as an incentive? Works well for other developers, I think
Old 23rd July 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Hi Joe these ideas are now implemented in v2.1.0
Thanks! will demo the new version when I get a moment.
Old 23rd July 2018
Gear Head

FIX v2.1.1

Hi all,

Some paid users were affected by a bug in yesterday's updated v2.1.0 version. (Settings were incorrect on project reload with some DAW/OS combos)

We really apologise for this, especially to anybody doing critical work.

Please check your inbox for v2.1.1 which should fix the bug (if it does not, please email us).

Thanks,
John & Eleanor.

Again, this does not affect demo users, as the demo does not allow saved settings! (Latest demo version is still v2.1.0 from yesterday)
Old 21st September 2018
Lives for gear

Hi John,

I am enjoying this EQ a lot.

Question/request:

Could you add a "save as default" function? So we could start with go-to settings.

Wish/suggestion: Would you consider adding an option for a "bright" GUI. Now it's very dark gray, which is fine but I'd personally love to try how it "feels" having the same GUI just in super light gray (almost white) or other bright tone(s) with dark circles/fonts etc.

That would be awesome!

Thanks
Old 24th September 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot View Post
Hi John,

I am enjoying this EQ a lot.

Question/request:

Could you add a "save as default" function? So we could start with go-to settings.

Wish/suggestion: Would you consider adding an option for a "bright" GUI. Now it's very dark gray, which is fine but I'd personally love to try how it "feels" having the same GUI just in super light gray (almost white) or other bright tone(s) with dark circles/fonts etc.

That would be awesome!

Thanks
+1 on these suggestions. I’ve been using this EQ on all my sessions that are ITB.
Old 29th September 2018
Gear Guru

Verified Member
This and all digital EQ needs to function like the ProQ2

They need to spend the money to take it to that level now that it's sounding right.

Grab and pull the curves, no knobs. And 0.1 db steps. Preset default, etc.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

i tried Magpha, Crave eq, Slick eq M, i like all of them very much and i cant decide what is better, speaking about sound, to me seems almost no difference, very little, and each of them has something special
i bought Slick eq for now because for the price it has more features and faster workflow, and for me autogain help a lot to avoid "better because louder" mistakes, but i would like to have all of them.

(dmg sounds better to me, more "dry" "tight" sound, but too much cpu and many crash unfortunately)

i would like to read some yours opinion between Magpha and Crave eq

cheers!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search