The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Balance Analog Magpha EQ Equalizer Plugins
Old 10th July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ View Post
Do you have artist names in your invoices or just real names...?

Heres a band of whom I mastered the both latest albums, mixed by a fairly reputated engineer. One was mixed quite dry, the other rather wet with heavy saturation/distortion. For both my mastering approach was quite similar, still results are quite different of course. So, Im not really sure what to achieve from those examples...?
YouTube
It's About Time - YouTube

I with you, knowing more about each other in this forum definitly helps, this is where fb maybe worse a look.
To solve this issue, I do a kind of "shazam session" every 3 to 6 months with unlabelled project.
It's very fun to do and sometimes you get nice surprise like : the files "rt-to be_mix - v03b_07-02.wav" has actually more than 3 000 000 streams on Spotify.
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you have artist names in your invoices or just real names...?
in 98% - both
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post
in 98% - both
Interesting, I nearly never. CD text or rarely getting a facebook link is all info I get mostly.
I also do a fair amount of vinyl only stuff, where an artist/project name or even an online link is rare.

Last edited by JP__; 10th July 2018 at 05:42 PM..
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxnscratch View Post
To solve this issue, I do a kind of "shazam session" every 3 to 6 months with unlabelled project.
It's very fun to do and sometimes you get nice surprise like : the files "rt-to be_mix - v03b_07-02.wav" has actually more than 3 000 000 streams on Spotify.
Haha. How cool is that.
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
As a not native speaker I havent got a clue whats your questions is about.
Sorry! Yeah it means "too long to talk about"
Old 10th July 2018
Gear Maniac

@MaGpha: I have a quqestion regarding slider on each band, Stereo <-> MS Mode.

How does user (I haven't tried it yet but I intend to so please bear with me here...) chooses to work on each band either in Stereo Mode, Mid Mode or the Side Mode? I can't tell from this screenshot whether the slider "cicks" to Stereo when pushed far Left, then "clicks" again to Mid and finally "clicks" to Side Mode when pushed all the way to the right? Or is it something else going on here?

Guys, I know, many of you can say: Go download and try! Right? I will try it but... Maybe someone is online and will explain before I jump into download and testing some time tomorrow or the next day. Depends on my job and every day activities.

Thnx all!

Krešo
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
But is far to busy to write it down then, I understand...
no it's a friendly British term, not a humble brag at all..
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post
come on, look through your bills and collect the coolest projects - needs an evening. i'm also on it right now, should be worth it in the medium term.
if i don't know what to think of a statement on GZ, i like to go and see what the writer has done and listen to his work - so i quickly get an idea of his aesthetics.

the main reason for such a list is of course that potential future customers can get a picture of my work and I can refer to it for testmastering requests.

we're veering into a different topic entirely here I think?

I don't think as a mastering engineer I have an aesthetic, just a brain and some tools and make decisions people seem to like.

Maybe aesthetic is just the wrong term, in a literal sense.

My credits (somewhat out of date) are on my site (in my sig) if you are interested though. I know I'm always clicking on folks links here just out of interest.
Old 11th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness View Post
we're veering into a different topic entirely here I think?

I don't think as a mastering engineer I have an aesthetic, just a brain and some tools and make decisions people seem to like.
self-perception is much more difficult than external perception - that's why masteringengineers are needed.
Old 11th July 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
no it's a friendly British term, not a humble brag at all..
Making a bolt statement, but show no will to explain it looks not so friendly to me, in a way. To me a forum is not a facebook post, its about interaction. Im very interested in your opinion, but just posting one liners helps nobody, thought.
Old 11th July 2018
Lives for gear

Been travelling and missed this release, very nice sounding EQ.

Just missed the intro though, a shame, would have pulled the trigger at that price as it's nice to have alternatives (Equilibrium).
Old 11th July 2018
Gear Maniac
Purchased. The interface works brilliantly with my Nob Control. Dialling in the right results is a breeze. The combo certainly feels "analog" in operation.
Old 11th July 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Making a bolt statement, but show no will to explain it looks not so friendly to me, in a way. To me a forum is not a facebook post, its about interaction. Im very interested in your opinion, but just posting one liners helps nobody, thought.
Honestly no offence is meant.

All I am saying is that your question, with respect, is not worth engaging with as we would be arguing the subjective.

Either way, we're getting way off here, the plug-in is pretty cool but I have some reservations about its interface.
Old 11th July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by biksonije View Post
How does user chooses to work on each band either in Stereo Mode, Mid Mode or the Side Mode? I can't tell from this screenshot whether the slider "cicks" to Stereo when pushed far Left, then...
Yes the slider clicks left for stereo, middle for mid, and right for side mode, for each band
Old 11th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Aha, now everything makes sense!

Thank you!

Krešo
Old 11th July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Finally found time to properly sit down with this EQ.

Pros

- Made by an indie engineer in the field not a developer "crossing over to mastering" and you can tell by the interface and layout
- Love the idea of colour digital EQ and I think it's gonna be a big thing in years to come. You're on the right path!

Cons

- One shelf is not enough, gimme some to cut and boost at the same time
- Gives me a bit of a headache squinting at it still, as much as I appreciate the minimalism
- Steps are not in 0.25 or whatever dBs

Ideas

- Would be nice to see the band is engaged on the knob itself, hard to keep track when you have a few engaged
- If it's steps, maybe steps which match up to a usual mastering workflow

Honestly I couldn't get to a setting I liked anything close to Slick EQ ME because of the interface, but from what I can tell it sounds pretty decent and could turn into something really special.

Hi Joe thanks for taking the time to check it out.

I like the idea of seeing the band is engaged in the knob itself. That would really help workflow. Watch this space!

You're the first person to suggest more shelves, I'm not sure I'd want to make the interface busier than it is, and I'm not a huge fan of multi-purpose bands personally. But I'd never say never.

RE: the stepping. I chose the steps out of personal preference. I like 6dB as it's approx twice/half amplitude. So everything is halved doubled from there. It might be possible to formulate a user option so they can choose that scheme or the 1, 0.5, 0.25 etc. scheme you describe.

I agree that more text sizes would be useful to help the squinting factor.

Thanks again really appreciate the feedback, John
Old 11th July 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Honestly no offence is meant.

All I am saying is that your question, with respect, is not worth engaging with as we would be arguing the subjective.

Either way, we're getting way off here, the plug-in is pretty cool but I have some reservations about its interface.
Alright. So you just was misleaded by its name: "Analog Magpha EQ" which might remind on that one million "analog" emulations out there..
Happy I was able to help.
Old 11th July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomaster View Post
Purchased. The interface works brilliantly with my Nob Control. Dialling in the right results is a breeze. The combo certainly feels "analog" in operation.
Great! I didn't know it worked with that piece of gear.
Old 11th July 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by balancemastering View Post

I like the idea of seeing the band is engaged in the knob itself. That would really help workflow. Watch this space!

You' re the first person to suggest more shelves, I'm not sure I'd want to make the interface busier than it is, and I'm not a huge fan of multi-purpose bands personally. But I'd never say never.

RE: the stepping. I chose the steps out of personal preference. I like 6dB as it's approx twice/half amplitude. So everything is halved doubled from there. It might be possible to formulate a user option so they can choose that scheme or the 1, 0.5, 0.25 etc. scheme you describe.

Im very good with those uncommon steps. Might lock strange at first look, but makes sense while working.
Old 11th July 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by balancemastering View Post

You're the first person to suggest more shelves, I'm not sure I'd want to make the interface busier than it is, and I'm not a huge fan of multi-purpose bands personally. But I'd never say never.

Cheers John and good luck with it
Old 11th July 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Alright. So you just was misleaded by its name: "Analog Magpha EQ" which might remind on that one million "analog" emulations out there..
Happy I was able to help.
I wasn't misled at all, I just have a different subjective opinion, it's really not worth debating.
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

Blimey this EQ is good. The more I've used it the more I'm becoming attached to it. So smooth and musical.

Under 1ms latency and CPU efficient also.
Old 12th July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Blimey this EQ is good. The more I've used it the more I'm becoming attached to it. So smooth and musical.

Under 1ms latency and CPU efficient also.
Thanks for the kind words b0se.

P.s. We’ve just released a brand new kind of EQ, the gearslutz thread is here if anyone wants to check it...

Balance Spread Focus EQ – New EQ to 'spread' or 'focus' frequencies
Old 14th July 2018
Gear Maniac
Maybe an option to solo each band?
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear

I might be this still trying to weigh it against equilibrium which is my go too. This is pretty great eq definitely worth owning. What is the price in US dollars?
Old 16th July 2018
Lives for gear

Had to buy this, pretty much an instant fave. Great when paired with a character preamp (Nebula) too.

Usability feature request

While I'm a big fan of minimal design and enjoy the GUI, it doesn't offer an 'intuitive' overview as well as it could. With everything being the same shade of grey (regardless of being active, inactive, a dot, text or lines) it all starts to blend together. You have to visually 'search' to see the adjustments...

A 50% fade on inactive bands plus lighter/coloured dots on the active bands really helps (and looks sexy!). Could call that Focus Mode or something. Agreed that it's about sound, but visual feedback (especially when reviewing) incredibly helpful and makes it effortless; easy to see what's used, and by how much.

Please consider adding this as an option :¬)

P.S. +1 for solo previews too. One of my fave features of DMG Equilibrium / FF Pro Q2

Last edited by b0se; 16th July 2018 at 03:44 PM..
Old 16th July 2018
Gear Addict

these suggestions above are great, a 50% fade would be more welcome than a coloured dot. One other thing - a button to rearrange the bands by ascending frequency would be incredibly useful (I wonder if TDR have the patent on that).
It's so simple and beautiful as it is though, it really doesn't need to change much.
Old 16th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
A 50% fade on inactive bands really helps (and looks sexy!). Could call that Focus Mode or something. Very clear to see what's engaged/used.
This would be a really nice update
Old 16th July 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomaster View Post
Maybe an option to solo each band?

Quote:
Update: A 50% fade on inactive bands really helps (and looks sexy!). Could call that Focus Mode or something. Very clear to see what's engaged/used.

I love this EQ. I been search for a smooth but clear ITB EQ that can work on any type of program material...and to me this is the one. At first you think you aren't really affecting the music must when you start working with it. But hit the bypass and re-engage and you realize what it's doing.

BalanceMastering has also been quick to respond to user feedback as well as incorporate it in the EQ. The two suggestions quoted above would really take this EQ to another level IMO. The "solo' option would be so helpful since right now I'm using another ITB EQ to find frequency areas that I want to cut using their solo function.

Thank you BalanceMastering for this EQ and I can't wait for more creations from you guys
Old 18th July 2018
Gear Head

Thanks all, these are good suggestions.

I'll have a think about the band solo. Personally I'm not a fan of this workflow. A band solo changes the monitored sound dramatically, which for me hurts my ability to hear subtle changes (for a little while until my ears re-adjust). I usually just go for the approach: exaggerated boost/cut, sweep to find an area, then back off the boost/cut to taste. Also, I feel I don't want to clutter the interface more. As usual I'd never say never though.

I definitely love the faded knobs idea to indicate a band that is off. I'll add this, I just need to figure out how to code it

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search