The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What are your favorite headphones in the mastering room. Studio Headphones
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

What are your favorite headphones in the mastering room.

I would assume at the mastering stage open back headphones are the best choice since they provide more open sound. Which do you like a lot in your studio? The Beyerdynamic 1990's have caught my attention.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I especially like Sennheiser HD600 and HD800S. Also liked Audeze LCD-X when I tried them, but didn't felt confortable wearing them, as they are heavy as hell.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
beyer 990's here. love 'em.
Old 3 weeks ago
Grado PS1000 + SPL Phonitor here, very happy. Except with the weight.
Old 3 weeks ago
Oop
Gear Addict

Sennheiser HD600 here as well!

Audeze LCD X sounded very good, low end was super tight.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Very happy with Audeze LCD-X with the open back design. They make longer listening sessions easier.

I rarely use headphones for EQ decisions but I love them for quality control of audio checking for clicks, pops, thumps, bumps, and other anomalies.

I just bought a 2nd pair for studio B because they are so great.

Curious about the Sennheiser HD600 too but I wanted to stay with the same model for consistency in the B room.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Still using my Grado 225's (but fitted with "G" cushions -- game-changer on those).
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Verified Member
HD600 with Sonarworks systemwide here. Awesome cans and super comfortable. Worth getting the replacement HD650 cable for them though.

Going to demo and perhaps pick up Goodhertz Can Opener soon too for crossfeed / speaker simulation

Also quite fond of Focal Spirit Pro for late night mixing and Beyer DT880 Pros are very nice, both with Sonarworks.

Cheers

Conundra
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I love my HD600s as well (with the 650 cable). I just spent a day in manhattan trying HD600s, 650s, 800s and every headphone Audeze makes. I liked the 600s, Audeze LCD-X and LCD-4 and LCD-i4 the best. Didn't jive with the 650s as much and I didn't relate to the bass of the 800s immediately (tried everything with and without sonarworks).

Audeze has an eq correction plugin called Reveal, which I think is better tonally than Sonarworks. It almost sounds like an FIR impulse or something, it doesn't sound eq-ed or smeary at all. Very nice. I am thinking about picking up the LCD-i4 for traveling. Without Reveal they are spectrally wonky but with it they are very good.

LCD-4 are just TOO heavy. Nice tone but too heavy. I found the LCD-X to be very balanced and not so heavy.

Last edited by thermos; 3 weeks ago at 04:12 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Sony 7506.... Using them since +20 years.....
Got 3 pairs (Studio, Flying the globe, backup), because they are cheap and love them...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggs View Post
beyer 990's here. love 'em.
That's what I am currently using and I like them, especially since I burned them in.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Audeze LCD-X ver 2017 and Sennheiser HD800S with Sonarworks 4.Both have dedicated balanced solid state amps.
In my other studio for video-editing/post-production and broadcast audio mastering i use the Sennheiser HD600 with iFi Audio iDSD Black Label and Sonarworks 4
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

HD800 over here.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post

Audeze has an eq correction plugin called Reveal, which I think is better tonally than Sonarworks. It almost sounds like an FIR impulse or something, it doesn't sound eq-ed or smeary at all. Very nice. I am thinking about picking up the LCD-i4 for traveling. Without Reveal they are spectrally wonky but with it they are very good.

LCD-4 are just TOO heavy. Nice tone but too heavy. I found the LCD-X to be very balanced and not so heavy.
Interesting to hear your impressions on Reveal.
Longing for just a hair more top extension with the LCD X here. (Their bottom / Mids are just great) but Reveal is Mac OS 10 & above only.

Been holding out on 10.9.5 w no wish to change OS.
This is really making me question that though as I’m not a Sonarworks fan.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post
Longing for just a hair more top extension with the LCD X here. (Their bottom / Mids are just great) but Reveal is Mac OS 10 & above only.

try sonarworks 4 with the LCD-X.I think it's better than reveal and it's the only one i use with my LCD-X
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Audeze LCD-X here. Love them.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

JH Audio Angies. Love them. I also like to try the HD800 for some stuff, but I mostly prefer the Angies.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post

I’ve gotten a bit used to sonarworks but if you find the speed/transient different with it, then you’ll probably prefer reveal. For some reason the eq curve of sonarworks and reveal were VASTLY different for the LCD-X. Like not even close.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

HD800, but more for generic listening.
With regards to corrections, I've found, that Sonarworks or similar FIR based tools never really worked for me. I usually ended with measurement of provided correction and its curve approximation and tuning at some standard clean minimum phase EQ (like ReaEQ or Toneboosters EQ), which I had at HP monitoring path. Usually with much gentler curves, because I felt, sometimes cure can be worse than disease, as I perceived the filtering and resonances more than the compensation.
Although, I've never used Sonarworks wit custom calibration for particular headphones, which they can offer as a service IIRC.. that can maybe change its outcome.

Then I've got Morphit, which I like very much.. First I disabled built-in limiter and give it 6dB of headroom by lowering output level to avoid any dynamic changes.
Morph amount knob, works similarly as I used those standalone EQs, it doesn't do just scaling of band gains at the curve, but it also progressively makes the curve smoother.. which sounds right to me. And there's also 4 band EQ for customization of target response, which is also handy sometimes to make some final tweaks.

Michal
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
HD800, but more for generic listening.
With regards to corrections, I've found, that Sonarworks or similar FIR based tools never really worked for me. I usually ended with measurement of provided correction and its curve approximation and tuning at some standard clean minimum phase EQ (like ReaEQ or Toneboosters EQ), which I had at HP monitoring path. Usually with much gentler curves, because I felt, sometimes cure can be worse than disease, as I perceived the filtering and resonances more than the compensation.
Although, I've never used Sonarworks wit custom calibration for particular headphones, which they can offer as a service IIRC.. that can maybe change its outcome.

Then I've got Morphit, which I like very much.. First I disabled built-in limiter and give it 6dB of headroom by lowering output level to avoid any dynamic changes.
Morph amount knob, works similarly as I used those standalone EQs, it doesn't do just scaling of band gains at the curve, but it also progressively makes the curve smoother.. which sounds right to me. And there's also 4 band EQ for customization of target response, which is also handy sometimes to make some final tweaks.

Michal
I’ll have to try morphit again.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

HD600 for over 14 years, with 650 cable and some foam removed.

I also have the HiFiMan HE-560 and will probably sell them and upgrade to their HE-1000. Love these more than the Audeze I've tried.

A good balanced headphone amp and Can Opener (maybe Sonarworks depending on the model) shouldn't be underestimated.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01010110 View Post
JH Audio Angies. Love them. I also like to try the HD800 for some stuff, but I mostly prefer the Angies.
Did you ever try the laylas?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
HD600 (650 cable, foam removed, plus EQ & crossfeed). Never for actual mastering though!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Did you ever try the laylas?
No, sorry. But I'm sure is ordering a pair when my wallet recovered from building my new room.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
These are the only headphones I use in the mastering room...

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’ll have to try morphit again.

Just one additional note regarding Morphit testing besides mentioned limiter defeat.

Its default Correct mode use different target response than similar tools, which use has flat target response.
Morphit default target is called "Generic studio reference". I somewhat accustomed to it and it works well for me.
But if you want to switch it to flat target for some reason, then you need to switch the mode from Correct to Simulate and select "Generic flat eardrum". Possibly to Custom mode for additional EQ tweaks.

Toneboosters Morphit - NEW headphones improvement, simulation and customization plugin (Topic in the 'Effects' forum) | KVR Audio Forum

Michal
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin P. View Post
Very happy with Audeze LCD-X with the open back design. They make longer listening sessions easier.

I rarely use headphones for EQ decisions but I love them for quality control of audio checking for clicks, pops, thumps, bumps, and other anomalies.

I just bought a 2nd pair for studio B because they are so great.

Curious about the Sennheiser HD600 too but I wanted to stay with the same model for consistency in the B room.
Same impression here, using the LCD-X's open backs with a pair of Focal's Spirit Professionnal. Perfect combination
Old 3 weeks ago
Roland RH-A30
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Something seems absolutely psychoticeze about buying a $3000 pair of headphones, not sure if throwing an endless amount of money at something is going to solve anything
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search