The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What are your favorite headphones in the mastering room. Studio Headphones
Old 29th April 2018
AKG K-1000s driven by the speaker outputs of a Yamaha B-2 amp does it for me. Judicious addition of a subwoofer helps and is uniquely feasible with this headphone.
I see peaks of up to 5 watts while listening.
Old 29th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Dawkins View Post
AKG K-1000s driven by the speaker outputs of a Yamaha B-2 amp does it for me. Judicious addition of a subwoofer helps and is uniquely feasible with this headphone.
I see peaks of up to 5 watts while listening.
Wow finally that's a real setup!
Venerable K-1000 fed by power amp.. I'd love to hear B2 with those huge FETs someday..

Michal
Old 30th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Agree, hard to get the space/depth right with headphones. The I4s I'm using are great in that way, they have a great sense of space and its easy to tell when something flattens the image. Can Opener helps too.
I'm intrigued by the LCD-I4..
How do you think they compare to the LCD-X, except for the size etc? I've not found anywhere I can try them both at the same time..
Old 30th April 2018
I just purchased the Beyerdynamic 1990's. Holy [email protected]%, these headphones are the best headphones I have ever heard for analytical listening. They go from 5-40,000 Hz.

They are comfortable though heavier than my other phones but you really hear the detail on a mix that I can make more accurate small adjustments on a mix. I highly recommend them
Old 30th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
I just purchased the Beyerdynamic 1990's. Holy [email protected]%, these headphones are the best headphones I have ever heard for analytical listening.
Compared to what?

Edit: I hope that question is taken the right way. I'm seriously interested if they can compete with to for example the LCD-X, HD800 or similar. If they can compete with even better headphones I will have to try them.
Old 30th April 2018
Here for the gear

Mainly(Various..) Senns, AKG's, and more oft than not Audio T's.

Here H-phones = Very VERY seldom used unless after the "critical/mastering done" due tio having heard "Carl, I want an 'mp3 master' as well for the web".. in which case I use a combo of old AT's, A very old pair of Senn's and my basic-crap-phones used when i track something on the fly.
Phones give me (have for 40+ years musicdom now) a false sense of space and depth (perfect fer mp3s) that i find almost annoying as 5.1 mixes - "it" the music simply cannot (in MY head, not everyones) ever seem to feel right canned. I've worn "audiophile"(lol can someone pls define that word for me lol) headphones that cost a space shuttle launch through tubes wired by Moses..(youe get the pic) as well as "totally FLAT"(yeah lol) 'mastering headphones'(an oxymoron imo) and I was not impressed with them as tools to use while mastering; STILL i do use them to tweak(when asked) a final-masters E.q. & stereo field to allow for the limited attributes of said web-master.
I don't do much, (so little you s=could say 'if any') Restoration work anymore, but found monitors more effective in this process as well.
I don't mean to come off like an ass, or even a pompous old ass .. I'm simply answering this , my 1st question/answer as a member of the Gearslutz Community, as 110% honestly as i can.
I feel the same way (headphone thoughts above) about 5.1 but this may possibly be attributed both to my age(54) and my personal musical history(esp. live)--5.1, to me, ((even those clever Steven W jobs (i LOVE his stereo work esp XTC and KC)) has never sounded like 'music as it was presented to me, live, onstage. All but the echo from behind(and its suspect to me) sounds 'added'. I cant really explain it as i would like as i'd need to be in conversation to wrench the details but there is something about the whole surround thang that simply feels, ugh, i dunno, it just feels(like HPhones) "untrue"

When I do do the above 'web mixes' i go from 2 cars (me/wife)(horrid/good) to two phones Senn's and now cheap Tascam TH-200-X's .. Then old Paradigms through and older Luxman (for loudspeaker/Monitors A/B) and (this sound odd but works well) same Tube Luxman into Yamaha NS-10's .. I can blend these polar opposites or a/b them .. huge help i use when normal mastering is thee fare.
For most work though I have been forgoing ANY Phone use for my Steadfast & Loyal Yamaha DS90's A/B with Mackies that you'd never imagine lol sounding so close to Loudspeakers as they do A/B to the ever so .. well .. Yamaha output, but they do.

One thing i WILL use Phones on a lot though? EDM. I get the bass end from the mains as a start but then have found that the sort of cold/precise(know what i mean??)
EDM sonics (generally originated 'in the box' anyways) speak their truth to PHONES in a helpful way.

Hello All
Cs
Old 30th April 2018
Gear Nut

...and that was my point, since I am into EDM.
Headphones are a godsend for it. Therefore, it does depend on the genre how you're going to go about mixing and mastering.
Old 1st May 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
someone send us a pair of the LCD-X to evaluate!

for 30 days or whatever... LOL!

JT

Last edited by Jerry Tubb; 3rd May 2018 at 01:33 PM..
Old 1st May 2018
Lives for gear

FWIW, Audeze does have a pretty generous hassle free return policy.

I thought I might want to upgrade to the LCD-M4X for my new room and leave the LCD-X in the b room.

The LCD-M4X are voiced in a way that sound pretty dark to help with longer listening sessions.

I was able to return the LCD-M4X without question and have eventually added a 2nd pair of the LCD-X so I have them in both rooms.

Incredible headphones, especially when paired with the Avocet IIA and MONOTOR headphone amp.
Old 1st May 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
I just purchased the Beyerdynamic 1990's. Holy [email protected]%, these headphones are the best headphones I have ever heard for analytical listening. They go from 5-40,000 Hz.

They are comfortable though heavier than my other phones but you really hear the detail on a mix that I can make more accurate small adjustments on a mix. I highly recommend them
I’m interested in these as well as they seem to be getting great reviews, however I haven’t heard many reviews coming from audio engineers. How are you finding them to work with? Are they flat enough to give you accurate results?
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

On the Beyerdynamic 1990's, this is one review that got my very curious about them.

The reviewer was able to provide a detailed explanation of the character that gives you a good idea of what they sound like. No one headphone is superior in every category but this one seems to hit the right key points.

YouTube
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01010110 View Post
I'm intrigued by the LCD-I4..
How do you think they compare to the LCD-X, except for the size etc? I've not found anywhere I can try them both at the same time..
The LCD-X is a bit of a unicorn in the Audeze lineup. It does seem to be the flattest of the bunch. But in terms of sound quality and dophamine release, I think the LCD-I4 is actually better than the LCD-X. It has a similar low/low mid response to the LCD-4 and similar (but not as large) imaging. Its a really seductive hifi experience. I think with Reveal backed off a bit it can be useful for mastering, but its really a lot of money to pay for something that doesn't hit it out of the park.
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
On the Beyerdynamic 1990's, this is one review that got my very curious about them.

The reviewer was able to provide a detailed explanation of the character that gives you a good idea of what they sound like. No one headphone is superior in every category but this one seems to hit the right key points.

YouTube
OMG get that guy a de-esser. Couldn't even finish the video on headphones it was hurting my ears
Old 2nd May 2018
OMU
Lives for gear

He probably didn't edit it on his 1990s
Old 5th May 2018
Quote:
Compared to what?

Edit: I hope that question is taken the right way. I'm seriously interested if they can compete with to for example the LCD-X, HD800 or similar. If they can compete with even better headphones I will have to try them.
I heard over 15 headphones including AGK, Focal, Shure, Audio Technica, etc.
Old 5th May 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post

YouTube
Z reviews always put a smile on my face. Reviews everything in sight and his no-punches-pulled opinions are as valid as anybody's else

YouTube
Old 7th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The LCD-X is a bit of a unicorn in the Audeze lineup.
Thanks for your input! I decided to start comparing Angie vs LCD-i4 vs Layla vs HD800 in a few days. Would be nice to test the LCD-X also, but since I don't work as a reviewer I'll just start with these. It would be awesome if I could find a pair that works even better than my Angies..
Old 7th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I heard over 15 headphones including AGK, Focal, Shure, Audio Technica, etc.
Any of them in a bit higher price range like for example LCD-X, HD800s, Clear, Utopia etc?
Old 8th May 2018
Lives for gear

I do 99% with monitors / sub or large speakers. However, it's nice to put on cans for a few minutes here and there to get a different perspective. My choice for light, portable, with cups that extend far enough down to reach my ears. A rare feat due to my XXL hat size. Sony MDR-1A. $200 new, $100 - $150 as an open box or used item. I put Meze 99 ear pads on them ($20 - direct from Meze site) and got a hard case they fold flat into for $20 on EBay - for the road. With pads they are comfortable, if your ears stick out they'll still touch the driver as they do with stock pads but not as bad. They increase spaciousness for the sound, the highs are slightly clearer, the mids more present also and not recessed, the low mid cleaned up slightly. Mid bass still has some extra but seems more balanced. The low sub bass (I mean 10-40 hz) is greatly enhanced. The slight V shaped response (a gentle loudness curve) that somehow never has mids lacking, makes them great for quiet listening. They can overwhelm if too loud. Saves your hearing and you don't need to crank them up to get tha extra punch and full range you would on monitors lacking highs and very low subs. The high mids are smooth but also not at all missing as some that try to keep this area tame. If you do EDM & Hip Hop and want a light - portable closed pair for casual listening, these are good for that. They are ported so while they close out a decent amount of sound, so they're not really super isolating. Stock cable is great for portable and I keep it in the case and bought a compatible 3 meter cable on EBay, for non-portable use. I did get to test the nearly finished late model Sennheiser HD820 prototype (closed HD800s, better comfort, build, more bass that isn't bloated, 90% of the open soundstage). Best closed headphones I've heard, but $2,500 list price, so I'll wait on them for now.
Old 12th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks for your input! I decided to start comparing Angie vs LCD-i4 vs Layla vs HD800 in a few days. Would be nice to test the LCD-X also, but since I don't work as a reviewer I'll just start with these. It would be awesome if I could find a pair that works even better than my Angies..
OK, this is maybe slightly off topic. Sorry about that.
Now I have all of these here with me in my studio (Angie, Layla, LCD-i4 and a bunch of my old headphones).

After a short listening session: I still prefer the Angies. The Laylas clearly sound better and even the frequency response feels OK after a first listen, but not great. For now I like the freq response of the Angies more, so I would still turn to them first. I hope that will change.. in worst case with an EQ.
When I started listening to the LCD-i4 some details went missing. The Reveal plugin set to almost 70% made them sound better, but my thought so far is that these are HiFi IEMs. They make the music sound a bit more nice and cozy compared to the others.

All of these sound fantastic compared to all the headphones I got here (a bunch of the usual suspects from Sennheiser, Beyer Dynamics, AKG, Sony etc). I still like to listen to some details with the HD800 with the right amp, but I really don't see when I would ever like to use them for audio work anymore.

A lot more testing will be done the following days using different amps etc. Now I just used my Hilo with a USB Regen + regenerated power. Good stuff, but not my favourite amp really..
Old 13th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK, this is maybe slightly off topic. Sorry about that.
Now I have all of these here with me in my studio (Angie, Layla, LCD-i4 and a bunch of my old headphones).

After a short listening session: I still prefer the Angies. The Laylas clearly sound better and even the frequency response feels OK after a first listen, but not great. For now I like the freq response of the Angies more, so I would still turn to them first. I hope that will change.. in worst case with an EQ.
When I started listening to the LCD-i4 some details went missing. The Reveal plugin set to almost 70% made them sound better, but my thought so far is that these are HiFi IEMs. They make the music sound a bit more nice and cozy compared to the others.

All of these sound fantastic compared to all the headphones I got here (a bunch of the usual suspects from Sennheiser, Beyer Dynamics, AKG, Sony etc). I still like to listen to some details with the HD800 with the right amp, but I really don't see when I would ever like to use them for audio work anymore.

A lot more testing will be done the following days using different amps etc. Now I just used my Hilo with a USB Regen + regenerated power. Good stuff, but not my favourite amp really..
I'm curious about the angies. Have you worked with etymotic etc? What is the low end like?
Old 13th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'm curious about the angies. Have you worked with etymotic etc? What is the low end like?
No, I've never tried the etymotics. There's many others I would also like to try, for example from 64audio.

About the LCD-i4, did you experience that the sound changed after a while? Maybe they need som time to "burn in".
Old 13th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, I've never tried the etymotics. There's many others I would also like to try, for example from 64audio.

About the LCD-i4, did you experience that the sound changed after a while? Maybe they need som time to "burn in".
Yes, the LCD-I4 got better after a while. More direct sounding.
Old 13th May 2018
Lives for gear

I've never heard a headphone that didn't get better after hundreds of hours of "burn in" and usage. All of my headphones that have been used for several years sound way better than new versions. Probably due to many different factors like the headphones starting to "sit correctly" on your head after a while and the components going a bit loose or something. Not sure what is going on but they all sound better.
Old 14th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Hehe.. I keep getting surprised with how big difference the "burn in" does to the sound. The LCD-i4s already sound very different. More details and more space.

thermos: Since you show interest, I will get back to you a bit later with a new "comparison review" of these three after they had some more play time.
Old 14th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hehe.. I keep getting surprised with how big difference the "burn in" does to the sound. The LCD-i4s already sound very different. More details and more space.

thermos: Since you show interest, I will get back to you a bit later with a new "comparison review" of these three after they had some more play time.
I would be interested! I think the LCD-4s definitely sound better over time. They might be the best source of monitoring lows out of anything I've ever heard (monitors included). I have been using them with Reveal on 100%. They have really weird peaks and dips if you don't (you can see in plugin doctor what they are correcting). Also I'm using the large tips basically not inserted at all, just resting on the outside of the ear canal. Deeper insertion seems worse to me.

I'm going to go demo the new Etymotics which are apparently great and of course super isolating which is nice. Might be a good dry compliment to these very wet LCD-I4s.
Old 14th May 2018
OMU
Lives for gear

I'm interested in your impressions on the Etymotics.
Old 14th May 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I had the ER-4P and now have the ER-4XR. Love them both for listening on the move, but never used them in the studio.
Old 8th June 2018
Here for the gear

Recently, I went throught the process of replacing my old DT-990 by a better headphone to complete,and not replace, my monitoring system (Amphion One18 + Amphion BaseOne25).

I tried ( = worked a couple of weeks) with :

- Beyer DT-1990 : a sound signature closed to DT-990, not a substantial upgrade
- Audeze LCD-2 : good overall sound, but not enought balanced for my taste
- Hifiman Sundara : very comfortable, closed to the sound I was looking for... but to "nice" with the music
- Focal Clear : my final choice, because of the... clearness !

The Focal Clear sounds really similar to my monitors ("Beautifully Honest" they said at Amphion), so I can switch quickly from monitors to headphone without a period of adaptation. I think it's the most important thing to consider if you're looking for an headphone.
Old 8th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit D View Post
Recently, I went throught the process of replacing my old DT-990 by a better headphone to complete,and not replace, my monitoring system (Amphion One18 + Amphion BaseOne25).

I tried ( = worked a couple of weeks) with :

- Beyer DT-1990 : a sound signature closed to DT-990, not a substantial upgrade
- Audeze LCD-2 : good overall sound, but not enought balanced for my taste
- Hifiman Sundara : very comfortable, closed to the sound I was looking for... but to "nice" with the music
- Focal Clear : my final choice, because of the... clearness !

The Focal Clear sounds really similar to my monitors ("Beautifully Honest" they said at Amphion), so I can switch quickly from monitors to headphone without a period of adaptation. I think it's the most important thing to consider if you're looking for an headphone.

Interesting.

Been demoing the 1990’s which with the analytical pads aren’t bad but still have a bit of top end peak, think there going back.

Finding the LCD X’s upper mid low top recession too much to contend with personally (w/o correction which I’m not into doing) despite their wonderful bottom & mids.

Want to try the Aeon opens. Curious to hear the focal clear.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search