The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What are your favorite headphones in the mastering room.
Old 7th September 2020 | Show parent
DAH
Lives for gear

The most transparent headphone amp I have experienced, probably partly due to the DSD format and lacking some gain for some is the one in my beloved Korg MR-1000
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Previously, I was using Shure SRH-1840 headphones an an Audeze Deckard, but I recently purchased the Meze Empyreans and a Benchmark HPA4 Rack-mount, fed by a Benchmark DAC3. I'm still pending a balanced upgrade cable, but I can honestly say for me it was worth the investment for headphone mastering and critical listening. I'm ruined!

I still believe the Deckard powering the Shure SRH-1840 with Sonarworks is pretty amazing, but this was a noticeable step up.
Attached Thumbnails
What are your favorite headphones in the mastering room.-20201103_133903.jpg  

Last edited by brconflict; 2 weeks ago at 06:46 PM..
Gear Addict

I would like to read more about compression due to headphones. I still have the feeling that one problem of many headphones is that they compress the sound.

We mostly talk about frequency response and stereo/depth impression of the sound field. Sometimes distortion.

Does anyone has technical insights what may cause the felt compression of many headphones? Can anyone follow me?
GBP
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreYouHuman View Post
I would like to read more about compression due to headphones. I still have the feeling that one problem of many headphones is that they compress the sound.

We mostly talk about frequency response and stereo/depth impression of the sound field. Sometimes distortion.

Does anyone has technical insights what may cause the felt compression of many headphones? Can anyone follow me?
Don’t know if this would be any help to you or to even pick the developers mind on it?

A special feature of Cans2Cones is a dynamic de-compression control which helps to overcome the compression that can occur due to the close proximity of headphone drivers to the eardrums.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Avantone Planars are definitely my new favorite headphones.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreYouHuman View Post

I don't find headphones compress the sound at all.
If you find them compressed in comparison to speakers, it might be that your headphone is under powered.
Old 2 weeks ago
AKG K812 & ADI2 PRO-FS for me is the reference check
Old 2 weeks ago
I am currently using a Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro with a Topping NX4 amp and DAC. A very good combination for mixing and mastering with my laptop.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Collins View Post
Will do
Any news? Sundara vs Audeze?
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmost View Post
Any news? Sundara vs Audeze?
I was reluctant to post my experience here because I didn´t want to discourage anybody from trying.

I´ve created a custom eq curve based on their measurements on the website and the overall result was rather convincing for dynamic cans but in pre-VSX times I was so accustomed to open back planars, I felt claustrophobic when using them.

For happy users of dynamic closedbacks, I highly recommend to test them yourself - the people at Ollo are very friendly, reliable and fast with shipping and -in case you´re not happy with their cans- refunding the payment.
Old 2 days ago
My favourite are AKG 812. In my opinion are a step beyond than the HD800.
Also I had Shure 1840.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

I just grabbed a pair of Audeze LCD-X’s.
Also grabbed an xDSD amp/dac for portable listening on iPad/iPhone.
The LCDX upper mid dip (2-5k)makes them totally unusable to me especially for mixing.tried eq’ing with various plug ins (fabfilter,reveal etc)and no I really don’t want eq them especially when I’m running around checking mixes on different devices .
Why the hell do people buy $1300 headphones only to have to eq them to sound semi normal?
I also grabbed some Hedd Heddphones which my avocet evidently isn’t powerful enough to get them sounding right.
Also some focal clears which are spatially cool but still don’t have the bite and forwardness of my cheap ATH m50x’s and Sony 7506’s
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
I just grabbed a pair of Audeze LCD-X’s.
Also grabbed an xDSD amp/dac for portable listening on iPad/iPhone.
The LCDX upper mid dip (2-5k)makes them totally unusable to me especially for mixing.tried eq’ing with various plug ins (fabfilter,reveal etc)and no I really don’t want eq them especially when I’m running around checking mixes on different devices .
Why the hell do people buy $1300 headphones only to have to eq them to sound semi normal?
I also grabbed some Hedd Heddphones which my avocet evidently isn’t powerful enough to get them sounding right.
Also some focal clears which are spatially cool but still don’t have the bite and forwardness of my cheap ATH m50x’s and Sony 7506’s
Very cool.

Have you tried the Sennheiser 600 or 650?
Gear Head

Closed Headphones may compress the air between the cans and the ears more then open Headphones.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
Very cool.

Have you tried the Sennheiser 600 or 650?
I haven’t
What’s the deal with those?
After sitting with the heddphone,clear and audeze this week gotta say I’m pretty underwhelmed.
I guess after all these years I’m conditioned to like the more aggressive nature of the cheaper stuff.
This crazy audiophile headphone world is starting to feel like a lot of tail chasing.
Oh and then the amp dac thing.
I mean I monitor through my avocet and it sounds great to my ears and I’m told it’s not good enough for the heddphone?
The concept of having to aggressively eq the 1300 dollar lcdx to have listenable upper mids is just a joke to me.
I’ll take a hard pass on that boshiite
Lives for gear

Quote:
I haven’t
After sitting with the heddphone,clear and audeze this week gotta say I’m pretty underwhelmed.
I guess after all these years I’m conditioned to like the more aggressive nature of the cheaper stuff.
This crazy audiophile headphone world is starting to feel like a lot of tail chasing.
I mean I monitor through my avocet and it sounds great to my ears and I’m told it’s not good enough for the heddphone?
The concept of having to aggressively eq the 1300 dollar lcdx to have listenable upper mids is just a joke to me.
Handy Like the hd600 bang for the Buck wise.

I have them,too and like them. But haven't compared them and bought just because of gearslutz
Lives for gear

Quote:
I haven’t
If you like other aspects of the LCD-X, you might actually prefer the LCD-1s. They are similar, but not quite as hefty sounding, but WAY more linear in the midrange.

At first you might miss that aggressive over-shiny thing about cheap phones, but that aspect of headphones is actually useless. It doesn't really tell you anything useful and is just fatiguing and makes you lose your hearing faster. Of course you super know your s$$t as I've read your posts forever, but the more natural dynamic/open headphone do tell more about spatial info etc, even though it takes a minute to recalibrate. The dynamic/low level detail retrieval of a pair of audezes is insane compared to a cheap dynamic headphone. Once you hear it, it's really hard to go back.

So try LCD-1 is my recommendation. They still need some eq (for the subs mostly) but its closer in the mids. Also they need some time to break in (for the highs to open up). Also you can power them with any amp. Also be aware that the headphone eq profile game is as deep as voicing speakers. Some (like audeze) go for kind of recessed upper mids. Others, like Sonarworks do the exact opposite. I like somewhere in the middle.

I'm going to buy some 8cs based on yours and others raves about them!
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
Handy Like the hd600 bang for the Buck wise.

I have them,too and like them. But haven't compared them and bought just because of gearslutz
Sweet thanks I’ll look into those.
Anything that can work with the avocet in studio and xdsd amp on remote devices iPad etc would be the win.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
If you like other aspects of the LCD-X, you might actually prefer the LCD-1s. They are similar, but not quite as hefty sounding, but WAY more linear in the midrange.

At first you might miss that aggressive over-shiny thing about cheap phones, but that aspect of headphones is actually useless. It doesn't really tell you anything useful and is just fatiguing and makes you lose your hearing faster. Of course you super know your s$$t as I've read your posts forever, but the more natural dynamic/open headphone do tell more about spatial info etc, even though it takes a minute to recalibrate. The dynamic/low level detail retrieval of a pair of audezes is insane compared to a cheap dynamic headphone. Once you hear it, it's really hard to go back.

So try LCD-1 is my recommendation. They still need some eq (for the subs mostly) but its closer in the mids. Also they need some time to break in (for the highs to open up). Also you can power them with any amp. Also be aware that the headphone eq profile game is as deep as voicing speakers. Some (like audeze) go for kind of recessed upper mids. Others, like Sonarworks do the exact opposite. I like somewhere in the middle.

I'm going to buy some 8cs based on yours and others raves about them!
Cool I’ll check those out thanks!
I’m avoiding eq cause I’m trying to find good phones that will benefit from the external mini dac but don’t require software eq to follow on every device.
Also I listen to tidal MQA a lot for pleasure.
Tidal/Amarra eq is super clunky to use so hard pass on Amarra.
If the LCDX’s didn’t have that ridiculous built in upper mid dip (where the vox sounds dipped and masked) I think they’d be fine for response and imaging.
But $1200 for that?Hell no.
Brightness aside I can actually mix on ATH m50x’s
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool I’ll check those out thanks!
I’m avoiding eq cause I’m trying to find good phones that will benefit from the external mini dac but don’t require software eq.
I listen to tidal MQA a lot for pleasure.
Tidal/Amarra eq is super clunky to used pass on Amarra.
If the LCDX’s didn’t have that ridiculous upper mid dip naturally I think they’d be fine for response and imaging
If you are on a mac, this is your answer. https://rogueamoeba.com/soundsource/

Route all of your system audio through it and add plugins.

Amarra is clunky as hell!
Lives for gear

Quote:
I haven’t
I have the LCD-X's with the Little Labs Monotor - same combo that Tchad Blake uses. There is no other headphone that I've heard that nails low end dynamic and the relationship between bass / kick and everything in that region. Yes the upper mids do have a dip but with Sonarworks / Realphones it's fixed instantly. I also have Slate VSX for my home rig which is good too but I don't get the visceral low end weight and excitement of the LCD-X's on them.

If your mix sounds exciting and the low end is bangin' but controlled on the LCD-X's then you're done.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
I have the LCD-X's with the Little Labs Monotor - same combo that Tchad Blake uses. There is no other headphone that I've heard that nails low end dynamic and the relationship between bass / kick and everything in that region. Yes the upper mids do have a dip but with Sonarworks / Realphones it's fixed instantly. I also have Slate VSX for my home rig which is good too but I don't get the visceral low end weight and excitement of the LCD-X's on them.

If your mix sounds exciting and the low end is bangin' but controlled on the LCD-X's then you're done.
I was demoing real phones w the LCDX’s last week.weird to my ears.and I could just dial the freqs I wanted up.
Also if I just want to listen to tidal with my iPad or iPhone with the Xdsd amp,real phones/sonorworks ain’t happening.
Gear Guru

Quote:
If you are on a mac, this is your answer. https://rogueamoeba.com/soundsource/

Route all of your system audio through it and add plugins.
How’s that work if I’m directly monitoring my final console mix on an Burl/hdx rig via avocet?
Doesn’t look like there’s an aax version just Mac control panel?
Lives for gear

Quote:
How’s that work if I’m directly monitoring my final console mix on an Burl/hdx rig via avocet?
It's basically a front end to whatever your sound card is. So your sound card (Burl) is selected in soundsource, and it hijacks core audio and lets you use any plugins before DAC conversion. Kind of like sonarworks systemwide, but you can use any plugin. Essential if you are using headphones and DSP.
Gear Guru

Quote:
It's basically a front end to whatever your sound card is. So your sound card (Burl) is selected in soundsource, and it hijacks core audio and lets you use any plugins before DAC conversion. Kind of like sonarworks systemwide, but you can use any plugin. Essential if you are using headphones and DSP.
I’ll look into it.
Not sure it will work with a pt hdx card system.only Mac core audio devices.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’ll look into it.
Not sure it will work with a pt hdx card system.only Mac core audio devices.
I'd be curious. I think it acts as a core audio device, keep us posted!
📝 Reply