The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What are your favorite headphones in the mastering room.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
This is why I am looking I to the Focal Listen and Sennheiser 660S. Hopeful I won't feel the need for the Focal Clear Pros. As I like the Focal Spirit a lot I am hopeful the Focal Listen headphones will be a good fit, but I also wait give the 660S a chance as well.
I advise you against Focal Listen, I've just sent them back. These are 'W' shaped headphones ( https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FocalListen.pdf ), and I ensure you that the peak at 9000Hz is really annoying, unnatural and constantly drawing my attention. It's a shame, because they improved over the Focal Spirit Professional on the bass department (the bass is excellent, full, tight, with a fast decay time), but the Spirit Pro is still the best of the two for overall frequency response (I also own the Spirit Pro and is one of my best closed cans).
Right now I'm waiting for a second hand ebay Focal Elex (finger crossed).
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raaphorst View Post
Don't believe in it. If the impedance is right, anything goes. There are no bad amps anymore.
HP amp differences are HUGE.
Which did you compare to come to that conclusion?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Collins View Post
I second this.

I've tested many amps in the past 6 years.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Collins View Post
Because all soundcards have fine headphones output. Just make sure you got the impedance right.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimisrandma View Post
An elex? Elegia? Have an Elegia, didnt intend to sell, but could get together on something
Sorry, I'm not sure I got what you are saying (my english is really poor), anyway the Elex is not an Elegia. Elegia is a closed back, Elex is a Massdrop version of the Elear (basically an Elear with Clear pads, and perhaps some other mods). I should receive it in a week or so...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I have a pair of Elegia that sound really good. They are not bass-lite as some claim. They are have tons of bass if the source material calls for it.

As for closed headphones being appropriate for mastering, I have no idea. I stick to open designs for mixing.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Headphone experts! What's your recommendation for a solid closed back headphone in the ~$500 range?

I've tried the Neumann NDH20s and really didn't like them - both in terms of sound and comfort. I just got a paid of Focal Listen Pros and I'm not hating them so far, I'm finding they benefit from the Sonarworks plugin but even using that plugin the top end feels a bit weird (possibly due to that 9k peak) and the sub seems wild. I only just got them though so they need a bit of break-in, will see how they settle.

For closed-backs in that price range the only other contender I've really found is the Beyerdynamic DT1770s, anyone have any experience with them?

I would have gotten some Oppo PM-3s but had no idea they were discontinued, seems they were universally praised.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

A colleague of mine bought a pair of super expensive Audeze LCD-XC. Haven't tried them myself. I am using HD600 which I love.
Old 2 weeks ago
adl
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raaphorst View Post
A colleague of mine bought a pair of super expensive Audeze LCD-XC. Haven't tried them myself. I am using HD600 which I love.
Would love to hear your thoughts on those. Been sneaking around em for some time but am undecided if i should really go for so expensive cans.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I really hated LCD-XC, there are some terrible resonances in the mids that I couldn’t stand. They are ok with pop music, but classical or guitar oriented music sounds plain terrible with them. LCD-X are much much better in that regard.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Strange because the LCD-X and the LCD-XC are absolutely identical apart from the external ear cup piece (one is wood (closed) the other is a metal grill(open))

You might have been using the older drivers before they switched on the XC's
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Apple EarPods with 3.5mm headphone plug. Helps me hear, what they hear.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solic View Post
Apple EarPods with 3.5mm headphone plug. Helps me hear, what they hear.
Maybe you‘re more skilled than me, but I tried that for some time and although I really liked my mixes on the AirPods, they turned out incredibly bad in the car and the home stereo. Boomy, not enough room, etc.

Using a DT880 now and it translate much better to other environments.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMickey View Post
Maybe you‘re more skilled than me, but I tried that for some time and although I really liked my mixes on the AirPods, they turned out incredibly bad in the car and the home stereo. Boomy, not enough room, etc.

Using a DT880 now and it translate much better to other environments.
Hey DrMickey,

I absolutely agree with you. I wouldn’t be able to master on them at all. I use EarPods at the very end, just to make sure everything sounds good, and nothing sticks out (specially top end).

Cheers
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Have the LCD-2 and the HD600 and find them useful in a quiet mixing environment.

Both open back designs seem to somewhat offset whatever resonances may exist due to driver resonances.

Unless there is ambient intrusion, much prefer the open back to the closed, for both comfort and the above minimizing of resonances.

Just as our ear/brains adapt well to speaker/room frequency response anomalies, so the open headphone design permits some slack and better adaptation to the headphone drivers' response quirks, IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
I really hated LCD-XC, there are some terrible resonances in the mids that I couldn’t stand. They are ok with pop music, but classical or guitar oriented music sounds plain terrible with them. LCD-X are much much better in that regard.

Last edited by robobob; 1 week ago at 11:02 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Still can't find anything better then HD650... LCD-X was well received here so maybe i need to try this model?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Just an update, I ended up returning the Elears a week after buying them and getting the Clears instead. It was worth the extra dosh in my opinion. They sound much better straight off the bat.

However I found the Sonarworks profile for Elears to be a bit more accurate. It's almost like their testing for the Clears wasn't quite right.
That being said I'm still using the Sonarworks profile at 50%.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

I know this thread is specifically about headphones, but I'd like to ask about headphone amps:

Specifically, is there a rate of diminishing returns when it comes to headphone amps? Are you getting %95 the quality of the high end if you spend $500 - and only a %5 improvement if you drop $2k? These %'s are arbitrary, but I think you understand what I mean.

Is the Bryston BHA-1 ($2.2k) THAAAT much better than the Rupert Neve RNHP-1 ($500)? I know there are clearly differences - especially in the balanced outs and multiple outs that the Bryston offers. This doesn't have to be a side-by-side of these two models, this was just an example.

Thanks!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by camacozie View Post
I know this thread is specifically about headphones, but I'd like to ask about headphone amps:

Specifically, is there a rate of diminishing returns when it comes to headphone amps? Are you getting %95 the quality of the high end if you spend $500 - and only a %5 improvement if you drop $2k? These %'s are arbitrary, but I think you understand what I mean.

Is the Bryston BHA-1 ($2.2k) THAAAT much better than the Rupert Neve RNHP-1 ($500)? I know there are clearly differences - especially in the balanced outs and multiple outs that the Bryston offers. This doesn't have to be a side-by-side of these two models, this was just an example.
Part of the problem is that right now there is a huge demand for high end home headphone stuff, a market that really didn't exist a decade ago. So the market is being flooded by very expensive headphones and headphone amps, many of which really aren't all that good. This makes things very difficult.

I have not used either the Bryston or the Neve headphone amp... but I will say that when you're trying to drive a dozen pairs of headphones at once the differences between headphone amp output impedance become very evident.

There is really no reason for a headphone amp to be expensive; you need a small but stiff power supply and perhaps four transistors. You don't need to swing a lot of voltage, you don't need to pump a lot of current, you just need to be as linear as possible.

When you're only driving a watt or so instead of a few hundred watts, most of the issues with big amplifiers go away very quickly. Class A throughout? Sure, you can afford to waste another half a watt. Massively oversized power supplies? Sure, we can use a twenty watt supply instead of a five watt one for an extra two dollars. Easy to build it well, the hard part is selling it.
--scott
Old 5 days ago
Quote:

Thanks!
Shout out to Little Labs Monotor too ($540). Plenty of positive reviews on this thread for those, and has been a dream to work with for me alongside my Audeze LCD-X. So would agree with your diminishing returns comment.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Curious if there is any group consensus about balanced headphone connections. Assuming the cable is >10', is there a difference at all that is notable? I've read that there is a tighter bass, but you know how these things are... anything to get the sale. Anyone done an A/B comparison?
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancie View Post
Shout out to Little Labs Monotor too ($540). Plenty of positive reviews on this thread for those, and has been a dream to work with for me alongside my Audeze LCD-X. So would agree with your diminishing returns comment.

Same combo here, my Monotor just arrived.

LCD-X + Monotor is used by Tchad Blake as well, could not be too bad .
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Curious if there is any group consensus about balanced headphone connections. Assuming the cable is >10', is there a difference at all that is notable? I've read that there is a tighter bass, but you know how these things are... anything to get the sale. Anyone done an A/B comparison?
Many years ago I rewired a pair of HD414s that way, and I couldn't hear any difference, but that's just one anecdote. The argument here is that because the two signals share a common ground, resistance in the ground wire causes the two drivers to interact. The idea of "balanced cabling" is to break that apart into two different resistances instead of one common one.

I might see it being of real benefit when you have a dozen people in the studio on cans all remoted to a single amplifier back in the control booth fifty feet away. Then again, in that situation I'd just use 16 ga. wire and make that common ground resistance as low as possible and not worry so much.

Since such interactions are going to affect imaging and not tonality, and since imaging over headphones is pretty wacky anyway, I am not worried about the affect myself. But people doing binaural stuff who actually care about headphone imaging, they might want to do some testing.
--scott
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kludgeaudio View Post
Many years ago I rewired a pair of HD414s that way, and I couldn't hear any difference, but that's just one anecdote. The argument here is that because the two signals share a common ground, resistance in the ground wire causes the two drivers to interact. The idea of "balanced cabling" is to break that apart into two different resistances instead of one common one.

I might see it being of real benefit when you have a dozen people in the studio on cans all remoted to a single amplifier back in the control booth fifty feet away. Then again, in that situation I'd just use 16 ga. wire and make that common ground resistance as low as possible and not worry so much.
Electrical resistance in high quality cables over a headphone cable's length is just not high enough to make an audible difference likely.

This theory sounds like somebody might want to change resistance to capacitance concerns. Capacitance is more likely to have the 2 sides influence each other. But again, the electric values are just not high enough.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Focal Utopias + Chord Hugo... I use them with Sonarworks and very happy with them. Have owned HD600's HD650's and HD600S's amongst various Grados. I like them very much.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by uOpt View Post
Electrical resistance in high quality cables over a headphone cable's length is just not high enough to make an audible difference likely.
I agree. Although, headphone cables are usually made from fairly high resistance tinsel wire that is optimized for flexibility and ruggedness at the expense of electrical characteristics and termination ease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uOpt View Post
This theory sounds like somebody might want to change resistance to capacitance concerns. Capacitance is more likely to have the 2 sides influence each other. But again, the electric values are just not high enough.
It's a low impedance system, resistance is going to be more worrisome than capacitance. Takes a LOT of shunt capacitance to affect your top end at 50 ohms. At 1K, the world is different.
--scott
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I always thought balanced headphones are powered by bridged amps, so we have less distortions and more power, and less nonlinear impedance problems...
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvukofor View Post
I always thought balanced headphones are powered by bridged amps, so we have less distortions and more power, and less nonlinear impedance problems...
You can bridge it if you want, but there's no need to. Bridging is really no win at these impedances.

You could in fact bridge the outputs into normal headphones with a common ground, you'd just have to float the power supplies and inputs of the amps. That would just be silly, though.
--scott
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kludgeaudio View Post
Since such interactions are going to affect imaging and not tonality, and since imaging over headphones is pretty wacky anyway, I am not worried about the affect myself. But people doing binaural stuff who actually care about headphone imaging, they might want to do some testing.
--scott
I understand why balanced line in's are good, but I have been skeptical of balanced headphone outs - kind of like balanced speaker outs from a power amp if such a thing exists...
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I understand why balanced line in's are good, but I have been skeptical of balanced headphone outs - kind of like balanced speaker outs from a power amp if such a thing exists...
The ONLY benefit is that you don't have both drivers sharing a ground return. Think of it as being like biwiring speakers. I might buy it being a benefit for speakers where impedances are ultra low and cables can be long. I think the chances that it will be of any benefit for headphones is pretty slim.
--scott
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear