The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What are your favorite headphones in the mastering room.
Old 1 week ago
  #811
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirito View Post
Focal Clear Vs Audeze LCD-X

Who wins ?
Audeze for me, not in the same league in terms of transient response and low-end.
Old 1 week ago
  #812
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by E Artsy Moods View Post
OMFG why did you showed me those!!! lol I missed them totally even after spending lot of time researching the net for the best headphones for mix/mastering...

I have to find a way to try them...
The newer Beyer Amirons are in that range, and they EQ well: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fjmrgdg3dv...0Home.pdf?dl=0

Slightly better than the 1990s: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o7zkgbc1b6...ds%29.pdf?dl=0

Full list here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index

Amazon returns are your friend :D

Edit: heck, look at the corrected DT770 graph (and score): https://www.dropbox.com/s/npqrz9dqdd...ds%29.pdf?dl=0

I own a pair of these so will try that tonight.
Old 1 week ago
  #813
Lives for gear
 
Shaggy2039's Avatar
I've been reading through this thread....Great stuff in here.

Quick question : I already have a pair of HD600's but I'm looking for more low end referencing for checking sub levels. Do you recommend the Focal Clear or the Audeze LCD-X for this? I'd love to get the LCD 4's but I can't afford the $4,000 - my budget is around $1500 area.

Also - would they Symphony IO Mk2 / Dangerous Monitor ST headphone amps be enough to drive these headphones? I'll be taking these headphones back and forth between my studio and home rig very often.
Old 1 week ago
  #814
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
The newer Beyer Amirons are in that range, and they EQ well: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fjmrgdg3dv...0Home.pdf?dl=0

Slightly better than the 1990s: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o7zkgbc1b6...ds%29.pdf?dl=0

Full list here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index

Amazon returns are your friend :D

Edit: heck, look at the corrected DT770 graph (and score): https://www.dropbox.com/s/npqrz9dqdd...ds%29.pdf?dl=0

I own a pair of these so will try that tonight.
Wow nice! I'm going to try to eq my DT770 following this pdf too and see how this works out...

Anyaway thanks again for the Raal, I'm more than curious to hear them, and I'll be able to test them in Amsterdam in a week as I'm going there for the Amsterdam Dance Event, and by chance the only shop in Europe selling the RSA1 is there! + they have all the other contenders, Meze, Focal and Audeze etc...Can't wait!
Old 1 week ago
  #815
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by E Artsy Moods View Post
Wow nice! I'm going to try to eq my DT770 following this pdf too and see how this works out...

Anyaway thanks again for the Raal, I'm more than curious to hear them, and I'll be able to test them in Amsterdam in a week as I'm going there for the Amsterdam Dance Event, and by chance the only shop in Europe selling the RSA1 is there! + they have all the other contenders, Meze, Focal and Audeze etc...Can't wait!
ADE looks cool, might go there next year!

Look forward to your thoughts (770+EQ).
Old 1 week ago
  #816
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
I've been reading through this thread....Great stuff in here.

Quick question : I already have a pair of HD600's but I'm looking for more low end referencing for checking sub levels. Do you recommend the Focal Clear or the Audeze LCD-X for this? I'd love to get the LCD 4's but I can't afford the $4,000 - my budget is around $1500 area.

I have still my HD600.

For checking low end/sub -> Audeze
Old 6 days ago
  #817
Lives for gear
 
Shaggy2039's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
I have still my HD600.

For checking low end/sub -> Audeze
What do you power the Audeze with? I read that the Apogee Symphony IO MK2's new headphone amp is very good so I'm just wondering if I even need to bother getting a dedicated one.
Old 6 days ago
  #818
Lives for gear
 
Franco's Avatar
 

Verified Member
For those with the DT770s who are talking about EQing their response:

If you can solder, I HIGHLY recommend you build the DIYRE HC1 (it’s only $25). Amps sometimes color the sound a bit and the HC1 is a little bright in the lows/mids and when I heard my 770s thought them, I was honestly a bit wowed by it.

EDIT: I also feel that the HC1s coloration balances out the low end, it sounds extended and detailed!

I’ve always felt that the 770s were a little boomy and slightly scooped in the mids, but over the HC1, it now sounds really balanced. If you share the same opinion about a stock 770, I’d seriously look into building an HC1 for yourself. It’s based on Douglas Self’s 5532 Dual Op Amp amplifier. Very low noise and detailed (no perceivable noise at my loudest listening level). I don’t like the HC1 for my Grado 80s for the same reasons (since these are already bright).

Last edited by Franco; 6 days ago at 09:49 PM..
Old 5 days ago
  #819
Lives for gear
 
nyandres's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
What do you power the Audeze with? I read that the Apogee Symphony IO MK2's new headphone amp is very good so I'm just wondering if I even need to bother getting a dedicated one.
You wont... The Audeze headphones sound very good with minimal headphone amplification... Its not like Focal Utopia or HD800 which sounds tinny or ok, or good, or tip top world class, but what you get is highly depending on amplification. That being said, the amplification in the Apogee Symphony is not bad, but its no Spl Phonitor in terms of sound quality (an amp I would still not recommend though as its a great sound but falls apart due to horrendous design. Poorly built amp). If you like to have an amp dac combo for on the go, you may also enjoy Apogee Groove. Its a superior headphone amp dac combo, than the DAC|Amp combo in the apogee's headphone out. I have both :D
Old 5 days ago
  #820
Gear Addict
 
barbital's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyandres View Post
You wont... The Audeze headphones sound very good with minimal headphone amplification... Its not like Focal Utopia or HD800 which sounds tinny or ok, or good, or tip top world class, but what you get is highly depending on amplification. That being said, the amplification in the Apogee Symphony is not bad, but its no Spl Phonitor in terms of sound quality (an amp I would still not recommend though as its a great sound but falls apart due to horrendous design. Poorly built amp). If you like to have an amp dac combo for on the go, you may also enjoy Apogee Groove. Its a superior headphone amp dac combo, than the DAC|Amp combo in the apogee's headphone out. I have both :D
Audeze headphones work best with headphone amps that can supply ~1.5W per channel. At least that's what I'm being told.

Now Audeze are less fussy with decent headphone amps - something I absolutely cannot say for dynamic headphones - except the Focal Clear which don't care about headphone amp quality and can even be plugged into most smartphones and still sound great.
Old 5 days ago
  #821
Lives for gear
 
Shaggy2039's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbital View Post
Audeze headphones work best with headphone amps that can supply ~1.5W per channel. At least that's what I'm being told.

Now Audeze are less fussy with decent headphone amps - something I absolutely cannot say for dynamic headphones - except the Focal Clear which don't care about headphone amp quality and can even be plugged into most smartphones and still sound great.
Whats the overall consensus between the LCD-X and the Focal Clear? I'm going to head out tomorrow and try and listen to both....But for checking mixes what is the best choice here?
Old 5 days ago
  #822
Lives for gear
 
Jerry Tubb's Avatar
 

Verified Member
I’ve been using my Benchmark DAC1 as a headphone amp for the Audeze LCD-X.

very pleased with the results.

best, JT
Old 5 days ago
  #823
Here for the gear
 

Very much interested in the recently released Denon AHD-9200. Wonder how'd they do in a studio situation. Quite hefty price for a closed back, around 1599.00.

But it's been getting huge praise from the few people who have tried it. SQ is supposedly in the same ballpark with Focal Stellia (2999.00) and Sennheiser HD820S (2280.00). Actually it has been said that Denons beat these, hence it might be (one of) the best closed back money can buy.

Anybody here have any experience with that particular Denon? I've read the sound is much improved compared to AHD-D7200...

Was deciding between LCD-X and Clears, but dunno why I feel that AHD-9200 might be even better.
Old 5 days ago
  #824
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesebomb View Post
Very much interested in the recently released Denon AHD-9200. Wonder how'd they do in a studio situation. Quite hefty price for a closed back, around 1599.00.

But it's been getting huge praise from the few people who have tried it. SQ is supposedly in the same ballpark with Focal Stellia (2999.00) and Sennheiser HD820S (2280.00). Actually it has been said that Denons beat these, hence it might be (one of) the best closed back money can buy.

Anybody here have any experience with that particular Denon? I've read the sound is much improved compared to AHD-D7200...

Was deciding between LCD-X and Clears, but dunno why I feel that AHD-9200 might be even better.
Closed back (generally) doesn't sound an open/natural as open back.

Any particular reason you're looking at closed?
Old 4 days ago
  #825
Gear Addict
 
barbital's Avatar
 

To be honest I slightly preferred the LCD-MX4 to the Focal Clear. But the price difference did not warrant the slight improvement in sound. Like comparing a 2560x1440 monitor to a 3840x2160 monitor. If both display 98+% AdobeRGB and have 1000:1 contrast ratio then the only difference is the resolution and my eyes barely notice the text sharpness difference. But the price difference between these monitors was $800 vs $2400.

The difference between the Focal Clears and the LCD-MX4 was roughly the same. MX4 was the higher resolution monitor but I'll be damned if I pay $4000+ AUD for a headphone. Even half that is a stretch.
Old 4 days ago
  #826
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbital View Post
To be honest I slightly preferred the LCD-MX4 to the Focal Clear. But the price difference did not warrant the slight improvement in sound. Like comparing a 2560x1440 monitor to a 3840x2160 monitor. If both display 98+% AdobeRGB and have 1000:1 contrast ratio then the only difference is the resolution and my eyes barely notice the text sharpness difference. But the price difference between these monitors was $800 vs $2400.

The difference between the Focal Clears and the LCD-MX4 was roughly the same. MX4 was the higher resolution monitor but I'll be damned if I pay $4000+ AUD for a headphone. Even half that is a stretch.
As a Clear owner, you really should try this:

What are your favorite headphones in the mastering room.

Night and day. It's crazy.
Old 4 days ago
  #827
Gear Head
 

@ b0se , in your opinion with that EQ correction are the Clears as suitable for checking low end as the LCD-X? Trying to decide on an upgrade from my old ATH-M50 and I'd almost rather buy the Clears since I hear so much about the mid range/top end clarity, but otoh checking low end is one of my main purposes with a headphone purchase right now and I hear so much about how great the LCD-X are in that regard.

I know you said you sold your LCD-X and generally prefer the Clears, but just curious what your take is since so many people seem to love the Clears but with the caveat that they're not great for the low end...
Old 4 days ago
  #828
Lives for gear
 
Shaggy2039's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbeats View Post
@ b0se , in your opinion with that EQ correction are the Clears as suitable for checking low end as the LCD-X? Trying to decide on an upgrade from my old ATH-M50 and I'd almost rather buy the Clears since I hear so much about the mid range/top end clarity, but otoh checking low end is one of my main purposes with a headphone purchase right now and I hear so much about how great the LCD-X are in that regard.

I know you said you sold your LCD-X and generally prefer the Clears, but just curious what your take is since so many people seem to love the Clears but with the caveat that they're not great for the low end...
This is exactly what I'm debating as well. Trying to decide between the two.
Old 4 days ago
  #829
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbeats View Post
@ b0se , in your opinion with that EQ correction are the Clears as suitable for checking low end as the LCD-X? Trying to decide on an upgrade from my old ATH-M50 and I'd almost rather buy the Clears since I hear so much about the mid range/top end clarity, but otoh checking low end is one of my main purposes with a headphone purchase right now and I hear so much about how great the LCD-X are in that regard.

I know you said you sold your LCD-X and generally prefer the Clears, but just curious what your take is since so many people seem to love the Clears but with the caveat that they're not great for the low end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
This is exactly what I'm debating as well. Trying to decide between the two.
I'll do some testing of Clears+CraveEQ vs Kii Three's and report back.

Any particular tracks you want me to test with?
Old 4 days ago
  #830
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
I'll do some testing of Clears+CraveEQ vs Kii Three's and report back.

Any particular tracks you want me to test with?
Very kind of you! I'm sure anything you know well and like to test with is good.

But, for a couple random examples--on the acoustic/organic side of things, I've been referencing the Kacey Musgraves "Golden Hour" record a lot lately. Slow Burn, Oh What a World, High Horse, etc. Nice low end with a healthy dose of low mids as well. Great reference for that kind of vibe.
On the electronic side of things, Jon Hopkins "Immunity" is a great record, the second track Open Eye Signal could be a good reference for some subby lows.

Also, not sure if it makes a huge difference, but I don't have Crave. For minimum phase non-Sonarworks EQ correction I would most likely use the Maat SantaCruzEQ (same as the old Algorithmix Blue).
Old 4 days ago
  #831
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbeats View Post
Very kind of you! I'm sure anything you know well and like to test with is good.

But, for a couple random examples--on the acoustic/organic side of things, I've been referencing the Kacey Musgraves "Golden Hour" record a lot lately. Slow Burn, Oh What a World, High Horse, etc. Nice low end with a healthy dose of low mids as well. Great reference for that kind of vibe.
On the electronic side of things, Jon Hopkins "Immunity" is a great record, the second track Open Eye Signal could be a good reference for some subby lows.

Also, not sure if it makes a huge difference, but I don't have Crave. For minimum phase non-Sonarworks EQ correction I would most likely use the Maat SantaCruzEQ (same as the old Algorithmix Blue).
Yeah I went through my own reference tracks first. Had a listen to your suggestions too. If the comments about the Clears were sans EQ I completely agree, it was hard.

Now though, not at all. The corrective EQ cuts out a lot of mud that blended the lows together, the balance across the whole spectrum) is fantastic. I sound like a broken record but I'm still delighted each time I toggle the EQ on/off to compare before and after The whole timbre has changed for the better, as has the level of insight.

Grab the Crave demo, it's a fantastic EQ and only £49 if you prefer it :¬)
Old 4 days ago
  #832
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Yeah I went through my own reference tracks first. Had a listen to your suggestions too. If the comments about the Clears were sans EQ I completely agree, it was hard.

Now though, not at all. The corrective EQ cuts out a lot of mud that blended the lows together, the balance across the whole spectrum) is fantastic. I sound like a broken record but I'm still delighted each time I toggle the EQ on/off to compare before and after The whole timbre has changed for the better, as has the level of insight.

Grab the Crave demo, it's a fantastic EQ and only £49 if you prefer it :¬)
Very interesting. Thanks for taking the time! Definitely piquing my interest in the Clears.

So you're using Crave in transparent phase mode for the headphone EQ? I just recently demoed it, actually. Really liked it, particularly in linear phase and might pick it up for that purpose. Several other things on the black friday list, though, so we'll see...
Old 4 days ago
  #833
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbeats View Post
Very interesting. Thanks for taking the time! Definitely piquing my interest in the Clears.

So you're using Crave in transparent phase mode for the headphone EQ? I just recently demoed it, actually. Really liked it, particularly in linear phase and might pick it up for that purpose. Several other things on the black friday list, though, so we'll see...
Very welcome :¬)

Digital/Transparent for mixing, Linear Phase for playback.

Last edited by b0se; 3 days ago at 08:16 PM..
Old 3 days ago
  #834
Gear Head
 
Benoit D's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
As a Clear owner, you really should try this:

What are your favorite headphones in the mastering room.

Night and day. It's crazy.
This EQ curve for the Clear definitely goes in the right direction ! Thanks a lot for the document. But gain values are quite too drastic in my opinion. I’m going to smooth the curve for bass and medium a bit.
Old 3 days ago
  #835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit D View Post
This EQ curve for the Clear definitely goes in the right direction ! Thanks a lot for the document. But gain values are quite too drastic in my opinion. I’m going to smooth the curve for bass and medium a bit.
hum yeah, 1500€ phones needing -6db at 1330hz and -4db at 6000hz ? ouch
Old 3 days ago
  #836
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit D View Post
This EQ curve for the Clear definitely goes in the right direction ! Thanks a lot for the document. But gain values are quite too drastic in my opinion. I’m going to smooth the curve for bass and medium a bit.
Indeed, consider it a starting point - all cans are different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSideUp View Post
hum yeah, 1500€ phones needing -6db at 1330hz and -4db at 6000hz ? ouch
With this EQ they sound better than my previous Abyss AB-1266's. This sound for €1400 in headphone land is actually rather reasonable.
Old 3 days ago
  #837
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Indeed, consider it a starting point - all cans are different.



With this EQ they sound better than my previous Abyss AB-1266's. This sound for €1400 in headphone land is actually rather reasonable.
Glad you're getting great results !
I kinda like the idea of not touching my cans, LCD-XC, just getting used to them.
as natural as possible.
and I like that I get the same sound I'm used: on laptops, phone, tracking etc etc.

I'm just looking for a good amp, black Apollo 8 get them alive! do you guys like the Neve RNHP ??
Old 3 days ago
  #838
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSideUp View Post
Glad you're getting great results !
I kinda like the idea of not touching my cans, LCD-XC, just getting used to them.
as natural as possible.
and I like that I get the same sound I'm used: on laptops, phone, tracking etc etc.

I'm just looking for a good amp, black Apollo 8 get them alive! do you guys like the Neve RNHP ??
Yeah that's it really - horses for courses :¬)

The Neve is a great little amp, one of (if not the) best at that price range.
Old 2 days ago
  #839
Gear Maniac
 
songman's Avatar
 

Sennheiser HD 800 and HD 850 via SPL Phonitor
Old 2 days ago
  #840
Gear Nut
 

Audeze LCD-MX4. Not the cheapest, not the most comfortable but wow, do they deliver across the entire frequency spectrum. Astonishingly tight and powerful bottom end, crucial when working with electronic music. Tested them against the Sennheiser HD-600 back to back, the quality gap is substantial (as is the price gap, so no surprise).
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump