The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What are your favorite headphones in the mastering room.
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb View Post
Audeze LCD-X Headphones came in yesterday. Much to my surprise, the box was sitting on our front porch. After dinner I officially unboxed them with a bit of ceremony.
Initially, I was a little curious about their size and weight (21 oz.), but mostly excited to have a listen.
With a 1/4” to 3.5mm stereo adapter, plugged them into my ipad, opened Apple Music, went to a track with big lows, and BOOM! i was blown away ...so much that i just started laughing. then i let D listen to them, and she started dancing around and laughing! She suggested I get the travel case & stand asap.
So its’ a GO! I listened for a few hours till midnight.
Yes, i do hear what the critics say about being very smooth & a touch recessed in the upper mids, but the massive reveal of the sub low range & the 3D soundstage is just so awesome. The isolation & immersion is really good for open back phones. We’ll see how they do with the Benchmark headphone amp in my studio. they’ll open up even more after they burn-in. My big Dunlavy speakers have great clarity in the mids, so these headphones will be for extra QC & Sub Low check.
I’m going to test the waters today on a Project, and see how it goes. Maiden Voyage.
I’ve got 60 days to return them if needed, but my first impression is that they’ll be great.
WooHoo. JT
Even though it says they are burned in, I do find that Audeze change with time and for the better, even moreso than other brands.

Definitely give both the Audeze reveal and Sonarworks plugs a go when you start working with them. The Sonarworks profile might sound hideous at first but if you get used to it, chances are it will translate amazingly well. I thought the LCD-4Z profile was terrible at first, but now it seems correct and translates very well. Maybe they just needed burn in. Glad you found some stellar phones!
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, i do hear what the critics say about being very smooth & a touch recessed in the upper mids
Quite easily addressed with the addition of Sonarworks and CanOpener. Couldn't use my LCD-X's without either. YMMV.

Best,
Shawn
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Hatfield View Post
Quite easily addressed with the addition of Sonarworks and CanOpener. Couldn't use my LCD-X's without either. YMMV.

Best,
Shawn
Just wait for the new can opener (if you don't have it already). Woooo boy
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Just wait for the new can opener (if you don't have it already). Woooo boy
!

Are you beta testing?
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Audeze LCD-X Headphones came in yesterday. Much to my surprise, the box was sitting on our front porch. After dinner I officially unboxed them with a bit of ceremony.
Initially, I was a little curious about their size and weight (21 oz.), but mostly excited to have a listen.
With a 1/4” to 3.5mm stereo adapter, plugged them into my ipad, opened Apple Music, went to a track with big lows, and BOOM! i was blown away ...so much that i just started laughing. then i let D listen to them, and she started dancing around and laughing! She suggested I get the travel case & stand asap.
So its’ a GO! I listened for a few hours till midnight.
Yes, i do hear what the critics say about being very smooth & a touch recessed in the upper mids, but the massive reveal of the sub low range & the 3D soundstage is just so awesome. The isolation & immersion is really good for open back phones. We’ll see how they do with the Benchmark headphone amp in my studio. they’ll open up even more after they burn-in. My big Dunlavy speakers have great clarity in the mids, so these headphones will be for extra QC & Sub Low check.
I’m going to test the waters today on a Project, and see how it goes. Maiden Voyage.
I’ve got 60 days to return them if needed, but my first impression is that they’ll be great.
WooHoo. JT
Before making a decision i’d recommend trying the focal clear for comparison. The lcd-x are amazing for listening but I don’t think they’re as trustworthy for mixing. Ymmv
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Thanks Guys for the tips, i will try the Sonarworks & Can Opener.

Curious to hear what all the hubbub is about.

I did use the LCD-X to help fine tune an acoustic jazz bass yesterday, worked beautifully!

cheers, JT

p.s. yeah the Focal Clear and others do seem enticing, I may add those as well.
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
!

Are you beta testing?
I believe if you write to them they'll send you the beta. It's a massive upgrade.
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Addict

Just received my Raal Requisite SR1a’s and have been putting them through their paces and comparing to the LCD-X and oddly enough my Amphion One15’s.

Okay, I’ll get this out of the way first. Best sound reproduction I’ve ever heard. They have an incredibly natural frequency response with a speed and openness I’ve never heard from any transducer.

Compared to the Audeze LCD-X, the Audeze’s sound congested in the mids. I had never noticed it before, but they’re cloudy in comparison. The Audeze’s do have more sub bass punch, but there’s a speed and texture to the SR1a that make them a more useful tool for audio engineering.

I could go on gushing about how realistic a particular binaural recording is or try to describe how the soundstage and layering of sounds is presented, but you really need to hear them for yourself.
Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by leckel1996 View Post
Just received my Raal Requisite SR1a’s and have been putting them through their paces and comparing to the LCD-X and oddly enough my Amphion One15’s.

Okay, I’ll get this out of the way first. Best sound reproduction I’ve ever heard. They have an incredibly natural frequency response with a speed and openness I’ve never heard from any transducer.

Compared to the Audeze LCD-X, the Audeze’s sound congested in the mids. I had never noticed it before, but they’re cloudy in comparison. The Audeze’s do have more sub bass punch, but there’s a speed and texture to the SR1a that make them a more useful tool for audio engineering.

I could go on gushing about how realistic a particular binaural recording is or try to describe how the soundstage and layering of sounds is presented, but you really need to hear them for yourself.
Dang. Going to have to try them now.

What amp are you using?
Old 14th July 2019
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Quote:

What amp are you using?
I see GAS quickly approaching GS

All things Requisite are a little bit special.....
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:

What amp are you using?
I was using the Amphion amp100 to fully assess them and that has plenty of power. Unfortunately though for the time being I’m settling with the Drawmer cpa-50. It works and still sounds amazing, but does give out at a certain point. However, that point where it gives out is rather loud. You can keep turning these things up and not realize how loud you’re listening because there’s so little distortion.
Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankin View Post
Everybody's taste is different. I had the LCD-x for a few years, and as great as the lowend is, I never could get along with the upper mids and top. I've tried other pairs of them and felt the same, so it wasn't just something wrong with mine. The top has some some odd peaks and dips, that just sounded unnatural to my ears. I think the LCD-4 and the mx4 are a little better in this regard, but not enough to justify the price difference.
My experience as well. Sure do miss their intoxicating low / low mid & soundstage though.
Old 15th July 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Ultrasones. I love their headphones.
Old 15th July 2019
Here for the gear

I use several headphones together with my adam S3A monitors. Beyer DT 1770 and DT 880 and ATH 50x and 70x.

I never use one single pair of cans on a mix. It just doesn’t work. Not even with sonarworks.

Final mixcheck always in my car. ?
Old 15th July 2019
Here for the gear

Beyer DT990
Old 15th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
Glad you're liking them Tim, good to hear!

I've had mine for about a year now and I think I like them even more now than when I got them.

Cheers,

bcg
I've been using ATH R70x for a year now and absolutely love 'em.
Note: they need a good amp to push into 470 ohm (102dB/V @ 1Vrms).
Old 15th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
I believe if you write to them they'll send you the beta. It's a massive upgrade.
Beta testing here as well : HUGE !
Old 15th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Exactly what I need/love with transducers.
I need to try them!
I thought nothing could beat the time response of the LCD 4/4z, but it seems reading u they may have found here a serious competitor!
Old 15th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
Exactly what I need/love with transducers.
I need to try them!
I thought nothing could beat the time response of the LCD 4/4z, but it seems reading u they may have found here a serious competitor!
The best I’ve heard is the LCD-X, but there’s no comparison.
Old 15th July 2019
I love my Sennheiser HD600
Old 15th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
To be fair, the 4/4z/(and i4 actually) are all much faster than the x, and don’t need a power amp for playback. But new headphone tech is super exciting. I’d like to try these at some point as well. Pretty fairy priced for what you get it seems.
Old 15th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
To be fair, the 4/4z/(and i4 actually) are all much faster than the x, and don’t need a power amp for playback. But new headphone tech is super exciting. I’d like to try these at some point as well. Pretty fairy priced for what you get it seems.
You definitely get what you pay for with these. They reveal flaws in records I always considered to be good sounding. Now some of those records sound over processed or congested in the mids. Then some truly great recordings sound scarily lifelike.

The other benefit to them is translation. The choices I make on them translate better than choice I make on the Amphion One15s. I can definitely see these being used for serious mastering work when paired with a high quality power amp.
Old 15th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
You definitely get what you pay for with these. They reveal flaws in records I always considered to be good sounding. Now some of those records sound over processed or congested in the mids. Then some truly great recordings sound scarily lifelike.

The other benefit to them is translation. The choices I make on them translate better than choice I make on the Amphion One15s. I can definitely see these being used for serious mastering work when paired with a high quality power amp.
Translation is the name of the game. If they translate everywhere then they are worth basically any asking price. Looking forward to future thoughts on them.
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I had a client today with very sensitive hearing and a bit of tinnitus, who listened on phones to my EQ on his songs.

he took the Grados off after 30 seconds due to the clarity & brightness.

but he listened through the whole song on the Audeze LCD-X and loved it.

So different strokes, a win for the Audeze.

Best, JT
Old 17th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
No comparison between ?
Old 18th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
No comparison between ?
Sorry, I was referencing another one of my posts. No comparison between the LCD-X and Raal Requisite SR1a
Old 18th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Sorry, I was referencing another one of my posts. No comparison between the LCD-X and Raal Requisite SR1a
ok

Would be great then to make a comparison between LCD 4z and SR1a
Old 18th July 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
So i’ve been using the Audeze LCD-X for a week now.

Everyday listening while mastering, and liking them more and more.

they’re addictive.

Your ear & brain combination begins to make adjustments as to what you’re hearing.

bending reality, like gravity bending light around a solar eclipse.

the Sub Corner in my room has been crucial checkpoint for 15 years,

but having the Audeze is a welome addition,

also loving the smooth upper mids & highs,

less listening fatigue.

I have really strong neck muscles, so the weight of the phones isn’t a biggie.

I think the point of this whole thread, is an examination of the newer generation of headphones,

everyone sharing their preferences and opinions

which is a great thing, kudos to GS, a grand slam in baseball terms.

probably the best thread on the internet about expensive accurate headphones.

your ear and brain combination really gets used to whatever your using,

but, if what you’re using is as accurate and flat as possible, there’s less of an adjustment to make.

that’s why i like having all the subs available in the Audeze.

I’ll try the softwares soon, Sonarworks, Can Opener, and Reveal...

which may openup yet another level of accuracy & clarity.

much like the James Webb telescopic in combo with the Hubble.

Cheers, JT

Last edited by Jerry Tubb; 19th July 2019 at 07:10 AM..
Old 20th July 2019
Here for the gear

Just gone through this whole thread...But there was a lot to take in!
I've been having to move houses quite a bit recently, and the thought of using headphones has become really attractive.

Was originally looking at the 1990's. But the Elears and LCD-x sound promising too.

Don't really want to have to use Sonarworks either...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Can anyone that know both well can describe the difference between hd650/600 and the ATH R70x? Both are pretty flat according to sonarworks (the Hds are even a bit flatter), but I'm think a of good impulse response is even as imporant. Something which doesn't get messured often. Can you hear depth on them?

I'm also very interested in the accurate bass response because I'm also into dance electronic stuff.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search