The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What are your favorite headphones in the mastering room. Studio Headphones
Old 31st March 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
HD 800
Old 31st March 2018
Gear Addict

Stax SR202 with SRM1/Mk2 amp, left and right channels EQed independently (gives amazing stereo image accuracy), and Isone Pro crossfeed.
Old 31st March 2018
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Audeze LCD-X with their Deckard amp. Occasionally a pair of HD-650's
Old 31st March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimisrandma View Post
Something seems absolutely psychoticeze about buying a $3000 pair of headphones, not sure if throwing an endless amount of money at something is going to solve anything
Most ME's use amps, speakers and acoustic treatment easily 10 times as expensive.

Businesses declare such expenses. You effectively pay with your businesses' taxes (or the working class pays your classy headphone, depending on the perspective ). Consumers buying pro stuff is "crazy". But businesses buying pro gear is totally healthy.

This high end stuff also uses to last. Bought my last pair 15 years ago, headphone amp overhauled 5 years ago or so.
Old 31st March 2018
OMU
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01010110 View Post
No, sorry. But I'm sure is ordering a pair when my wallet recovered from building my new room.
I would strongly advise you to try them first. Some people told me Angie doesn't need so much correction via eq, I personally didn't hear it, but I can tell you Layla has a pretty screwed up frequency response. It needs serious eq-ing to make it even remotely helpful in a studio environment. I have the first version, but I suspect the second generation sounds similar.
Old 31st March 2018
Gear Addict

Occasionally use my HD650 and GradoSR60 both with Sonarwork. Good results
Old 1st April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU View Post
I would strongly advise you to try them first. Some people told me Angie doesn't need so much correction via eq, I personally didn't hear it, but I can tell you Layla has a pretty screwed up frequency response. It needs serious eq-ing to make it even remotely helpful in a studio environment. I have the first version, but I suspect the second generation sounds similar.
Hmm good to know. I don't think there is a 2nd version. The Astell Kern V1 vs V2 is just a body difference but sonically apparently basically the same.
Old 1st April 2018
OMU
Lives for gear

Yeah, the second version is the re-shelled one, they probably sound pretty much the same.
Old 1st April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundra View Post
HD600 with Sonarworks systemwide here. Awesome cans and super comfortable. Worth getting the replacement HD650 cable for them though.

Going to demo and perhaps pick up Goodhertz Can Opener soon too for crossfeed / speaker simulation

Also quite fond of Focal Spirit Pro for late night mixing and Beyer DT880 Pros are very nice, both with Sonarworks.

Cheers

Conundra
What's the deal with the 650 cable for the HD600? It's been mentioned a couple times here.
Old 1st April 2018
Gear Addict

Verified Member
The 650 cable is thicker, stronger and also comes with 1/4” jack as standard so doesn’t require the supplied adaptor
Old 2nd April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU View Post
That wasn't so fun to read, but thanks for the warning. Previously I've only heard that they have a great frequency response. It's not so easy to find people around here who have a pair I can try.
And yeah.. I don't use any corrective EQ on mine. I do on all my other headphones.
Old 2nd April 2018
OMU
Lives for gear

Imagine my reaction after spending 2.5k on them. I was one of those first adopters who took the marketing blurb as truth, just to discover - in shock - how far from the 'truth' (as in linear fr) they were.

Took me a while to correct that, in order to be able to listen to them and not want to throw them out the window. I tried, came back, refined my eq settings and they served me for 3 years now, but I wouldn't do it again TBH. Out of the box they have a decent response in the low mid and low area, that can be brought close to flat by using the included pots. But the high mids and highs are a mess, huge peaks and equally huge dips there. No idea what was in their minds when they marketed Layla as they did.

Still waiting for headphone and IEM manufacturers to 'wake up' and deliver products that don't need eq for me to be able to use them.
Old 2nd April 2018
Lives for gear

for the guys still using the hd600/ 650, did you give a try to newer cans ? for me it's like sticking to ns10 , they work great for some people so whynot, but worth trying whats new if you haven t yet
Old 2nd April 2018
Lives for gear

Really surprised to see Spirit Pro and not Elear being mentioned.

Spirit Pro (I own two pair) is closed back and while the drivers are decent, the build quality of the housing and band is cheap and flimsy.

Elear is part of a total redesign.

Utopia was out of my budget, and Clear and Clear Pro had not been released...

But Elear plus Sonarworks has become invaluable to me.

Theoretically any headphone can be “corrected” by eq, but the drivers actually being able to “push air” can make a world of difference in transient detail.

Please consider them if looking for, what I would call, a 600 series rival— that I personally prefer.

I have not tried every set of cans, but extensively went through demos for AKG 701, Senn 650, and these, and the Elear was my clear favorite, and not really even close...
Old 2nd April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Abstract View Post
for the guys still using the hd600/ 650, did you give a try to newer cans ? for me it's like sticking to ns10 , they work great for some people so whynot, but worth trying whats new if you haven t yet
In Mastering cans are just something you wanna have for check occasionally, so unless we are amateurs or collectors we dont really need to keep up with the market full of s**t man.. good products stay good forever and the HD600/650 do not sound like NS10, they are pretty flat you know, also with Sonarworks they give the best results, just occasionally
Old 3rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Old 3rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post
Interesting to hear your impressions on Reveal.
Longing for just a hair more top extension with the LCD X here. (Their bottom / Mids are just great) but Reveal is Mac OS 10 & above only.

Been holding out on 10.9.5 w no wish to change OS.
This is really making me question that though as I’m not a Sonarworks fan.
Oh I meant to say too I think it matters what year your LCD-X are. I think they changed the drivers in the last 2 years. The newer ones are apparently a tad more tizzy (good or bad I don't know), so Reveal was probably tailored to the new ones. I really liked Reveal + LCD-X, really great combo. Some of their headphones just didn't make sense to me without the plugin honestly, it really does help. Worth an OS upgrade I say, but LCD-X was probably the flattest of the bunch.

I was also really into the LCD-I4 with Reveal. I think I'm gonna get a pair to have better reference for traveling. They were on the level of the LCD-X with some of the low end flavor of the large LCD-4s. The stock tuning was totally jacked compared to the LCD-4 or X, but with the plugin it was totally in the ballpark.
Old 3rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Zaccaria View Post
In Mastering cans are just something you wanna have for check occasionally

thats the response of someone who is 100% happy with the master he provide and with his room and speaker ,but these days one really need a decent room and speakers to beat what it's possible to do with good cans for everything related to frequency response and timing
Old 3rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Oh I meant to say too I think it matters what year your LCD-X are. I think they changed the drivers in the last 2 years. The newer ones are apparently a tad more tizzy (good or bad I don't know), so Reveal was probably tailored to the new ones. I really liked Reveal + LCD-X, really great combo. Some of their headphones just didn't make sense to me without the plugin honestly, it really does help. Worth an OS upgrade I say, but LCD-X was probably the flattest of the bunch.

I was also really into the LCD-I4 with Reveal. I think I'm gonna get a pair to have better reference for traveling. They were on the level of the LCD-X with some of the low end flavor of the large LCD-4s. The stock tuning was totally jacked compared to the LCD-4 or X, but with the plugin it was totally in the ballpark.
Good points. I have a pair that I received directly from Audeze about 6 weeks so I have the latest drivers, carbon headband (helps alot w comfort) and the new braided cable.

Finding it interesting how if I reference tracks that I feel are of high sonic quality (Omara portuondo, bjorks 1st, some tom waits etc) I don’t so much miss or, feel the need to add a bit up top but that said, for most modern mixes I could see Reveal being very helpful for sure.

Look forward to trying Reveal but w mixes on the schedule, more tracking etc, I can’t stand the thought of an OS upgrade & all the ensuing installs. At least just yet!

That’s quite a bold cumulative headphone investment if you decide to go w the i4!
Would be interested to hear you thoughts if you do though.
Old 3rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post
Good points. I have a pair that I received directly from Audeze about 6 weeks so I have the latest drivers, carbon headband (helps alot w comfort) and the new braided cable.

Finding it interesting how if I reference tracks that I feel are of high sonic quality (Omara portuondo, bjorks 1st, some tom waits etc) I don’t so much miss or, feel the need to add a bit up top but that said, for most modern mixes I could see Reveal being very helpful for sure.

Look forward to trying Reveal but w mixes on the schedule, more tracking etc, I can’t stand the thought of an OS upgrade & all the ensuing installs. At least just yet!

That’s quite a bold cumulative headphone investment if you decide to go w the i4!
Would be interested to hear you thoughts if you do though.
Cool, then you'll love Reveal. I'd say they are easily 10% better with Reveal. Really really nice.

The LCD-i4s seem insane, but I travel so much that the idea of a Mojo+those little headphones giving me incredible playback is very appealing. Not for necessarily doing full work on, but at least for reference. Audeze were very smart to release the Reveal plugin (and the cipher lightning cables), it makes their products more appealing to me personally than any others because of that.
Old 3rd April 2018
Here for the gear
Beyerdynamic DT1990 PRO: the best choice for mastering and mixing

For mastering and mixing purposes I strongly recommend trying the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO. I think that they are excellent for mastering and mixing.

I have compared them to various pro studio headphones and for mastering purposes they are the best choice that I have found. They are very neutral, with a lot of detail and two different alternative earpads included Analytical and Balanced (it is like having two different mastering headphones in one).

These cans are very accurate, neutral and detailed, and also sound great. They allow you to make the best mastering and mixing decisions.

After using them in the studio for mastering and mixing for some weeks I have recently posted a user review on the Beyerdynamic DT1990 PRO headphones based on my experience. I hope that you find it useful.

Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO
Old 4th April 2018
Lives for gear

I am still a fan of Sennheiser HD600. I like Audeze LCD-X very very much, but they have a tendency to make everything sound good. They are euphoric for playback but not critical enought to get the work done.

So for relaxed listening I would chose Audeze (if they were slightly lighter), but for work I prefer HD600 or HD800.
Old 4th April 2018
Gear Nut

It is amazing how much truth there is to the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it', in the case of Sennheiser HD600/650, for eg. Not to say that technology is not getting "better" as years pass by but unfortunately hype sells too. Time is required before products truly get improved.
I myself find that HD650's with CanOpener and Sonarworks helped open my ears.
Now is the time for a good amplifier but that is quite a bit more than an average plugin, so it'll have to wait since this is just my hobby for now.
Old 4th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilalin View Post
It is amazing how much truth there is to the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it', in the case of Sennheiser HD600/650, for eg. Not to say that technology is not getting "better" as years pass by but unfortunately hype sells too. Time is required before products truly get improved.
I myself find that HD650's with CanOpener and Sonarworks helped open my ears.
Now is the time for a good amplifier but that is quite a bit more than an average plugin, so it'll have to wait since this is just my hobby for now.
Chord Mojo is excellent for driving the 600/650.
Old 4th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
I am still a fan of Sennheiser HD600. I like Audeze LCD-X very very much, but they have a tendency to make everything sound good. They are euphoric for playback but not critical enought to get the work done.

So for relaxed listening I would chose Audeze (if they were slightly lighter), but for work I prefer HD600 or HD800.
Did you try the LCD-X with eq correction as well? I felt that all of the Audeze I tried were too comfy in the critical midrange without dsp, but with it they showed the warts.
Old 4th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Chord Mojo is excellent for driving the 600/650.
Know anything about about Crack 1.1 OTL Headphone Amplifier w Speedball upgrade?

somebody mentioned it...
Old 4th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilalin View Post
Know anything about about Crack 1.1 OTL Headphone Amplifier w Speedball upgrade?

somebody mentioned it...
I don't, I stopped at Mojo. I have the Cranesong Avocet 2a for home use. The Mojo felt relatable right away to me when I got it, great for traveling.
Old 4th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
I don't, I stopped at Mojo. I have the Cranesong Avocet 2a for home use. The Mojo felt relatable right away to me when I got it, great for traveling.
nice!

Thanks
Old 5th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did you try the LCD-X with eq correction as well? I felt that all of the Audeze I tried were too comfy in the critical midrange without dsp, but with it they showed the warts.
I have, but somehow didn't like the sound with Reveal so much...which might be weird, because I love HD600 with Sonarworks. Somehow I really prefer LCD-X uncorrected, but as you said, they really feel so smooth and compy in the midrange, that they accept large range of midrange quantity as great and don't tell you that you've gone too far.
Old 5th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ray View Post
Really surprised to see Spirit Pro and not Elear being mentioned.

Spirit Pro (I own two pair) is closed back and while the drivers are decent, the build quality of the housing and band is cheap and flimsy.

Elear is part of a total redesign.

Utopia was out of my budget, and Clear and Clear Pro had not been released...

But Elear plus Sonarworks has become invaluable to me.

Theoretically any headphone can be “corrected” by eq, but the drivers actually being able to “push air” can make a world of difference in transient detail.

Please consider them if looking for, what I would call, a 600 series rival— that I personally prefer.

I have not tried every set of cans, but extensively went through demos for AKG 701, Senn 650, and these, and the Elear was my clear favorite, and not really even close...
Well I didn't hear the Elear myself so I cannot speak about them, but surely the Spirit pro are a great set of headphones to compliment the listening tools needed for mastering. Especially for the mids clarity and details, and also for the perception of dynamic between the instrument, that I rarely encountered like this with any other set of cans. They lack some sub basses for sure, starting to roll off around 40 / 35 hz, and the ultra highs are not very "subttle". And this is were the Audeze LCD-X takes the win . Crazy amount of details and they simply rock for electronic music overall. They are colored, but in a nice way, and still well balanced when you know them. I also agree that the build quality was a big issue with the Spirit pro. My guess is that they went on production with an unreliable chinese manufacturer, unfortunately. Trying to custom build something for them at the moment.

Last edited by the unik; 5th April 2018 at 01:53 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search