The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What are your favorite headphones in the mastering room. Studio Headphones
Old 1 week ago
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by polybonk View Post
But at the moment focal cost is nicer by not needing an amp.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by polybonk View Post
True, however the consensus myself and a few of my colleagues over here who have been testing the focal lineup on the amps at the headphone store is that we just can't hear any significant improvement. And this is on the $8000 chord amps. Not tried the V281. And totally open to improvement.

But at the moment focal cost is nicer by not needing an amp.
I’ve been reading similar reports a lot also, that they even sound good out of an iphone! The fact that they are easy to drive and don’t require expensive amps to get the best out of them is very attractive.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedbear View Post
I’ve been reading similar reports a lot also, that they even sound good out of an iphone! The fact that they are easy to drive and don’t require expensive amps to get the best out of them is very attractive.
Yeah they sound unexpectedly great out of the iPhone.

I haven't listened to the new closed back Elegia but they are even more efficient. Apparently they can do 104dB SPL out of the phone. Talk about hearing loss if you are not careful!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I confirm that you can have a pleasant listening with the Clear plugged on an Iphone. Not as sharp and precise when feed by a good HP amp, but enjoyable at normal volume.
Old 1 week ago
OMU
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Man, you were so right about these. Just WEIRD. They don't really tell you anything. Fun to listen to, but for work, forget it. Straight to the classifieds.
Thanks for reporting. I was kinda hoping they could work but I confess, I was only tempted to buy them for listening when going out (after heavy eq-ing, of course).

This bass problem seems to be quite universal with electrostats. Everybody praises the hyper detailed high end and complains about the lack of (or unnatural) bass.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU View Post
Thanks for reporting. I was kinda hoping they could work but I confess, I was only tempted to buy them for listening when going out (after heavy eq-ing, of course).

This bass problem seems to be quite universal with electrostats. Everybody praises the hyper detailed high end and complains about the lack of (or unnatural) bass.
Actually the problem I had was more the high end. There was no wrong setting. Everything sounded good. The bass was slow but plentiful. I could tell if something was too big. But it sounded like a pleasant film over everything. Great resolution but just not made for working.

I’m looking to buy back some i4s. Never sold something and then bought it again.
Old 1 week ago
OMU
Lives for gear

That's interesting, because to me, in their original tuning, everything sounded bad on them because of that huge boost in the high end. I guess it's either that or the other one, if they can't be made to sound accurate. But then, again, I don't trust anybody to tune my headphones. I don't have any experience with Sonarworks but at this moment I only trust what I do myself, after having some experience with other headphone correction apps (the now defunct Golden Ears and the Audeze one).

In my opinion i4s are worth investing into (time and money), if the price is good.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU View Post
That's interesting, because to me, in their original tuning, everything sounded bad on them because of that huge boost in the high end. I guess it's either that or the other one, if they can't be made to sound accurate. But then, again, I don't trust anybody to tune my headphones. I don't have any experience with Sonarworks but at this moment I only trust what I do myself, after having some experience with other headphone correction apps (the now defunct Golden Ears and the Audeze one).

In my opinion i4s are worth investing into (time and money), if the price is good.
Yeah I'll get some again. The eq profile sounded close to my other phones with Sonarworks, but that didn't make them more workable.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search