The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What are your favorite headphones in the mastering room. Studio Headphones
Old 1 week ago
  #421
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
I’ll just leave this here.
Glenn Schick Mastering
Audeze, I wonder which model.
Old 1 week ago
  #422
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by art felton View Post
Thank you for that. I hope you agree with me that marketing is good business.
Marketing is GREAT business! Especially when you are in front of a million dollars of unattainable gear and an acoustically treated workspace created by top acousticians. Not so much when you are wearing a pair of headphones almost anyone can afford using tools that anyone could definitely afford. Then marketing is pretty damn risky.
Old 1 week ago
  #423
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Audeze, I wonder which model.
LCD-4 I'm almost certain.
Old 1 week ago
  #424
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
LCD-4 I'm almost certain.
Or these:

LCDi4 In-Ear Headphone | Audeze

Sexy :¬)
Old 1 week ago
  #425
I dont know why so many bad reviews, but to my ear the akg k812 are outstanding.


Coming from psi Audio monitor, I'm able to ear the detail of my music.
Old 1 week ago
  #426
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Nope not those. I had those, but that's not what Glenn uses.
Old 1 week ago
  #427
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Nope not those. I had those, but that's not what Glenn uses.
Ah yes, wires crossed. Must be the 4's then.

I couldn't be happier with the Clears. Have you sent yours in for individual calibration yet?
Old 1 week ago
  #428
Lives for gear
 
Giuseppe Zaccaria's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
The Beyerdynamic 1990's have caught my attention.

I got them few days ago and I love em a lot already
Old 1 week ago
  #429
Gear Maniac
 
01010110's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
These are still my favorites. Then I use Clears or some other nice headphones to sort out the highs. Done a bunch of masters with that setup and feel totally confident to bring that setup on the road!
Old 1 week ago
  #430
Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Zaccaria View Post
I got them few days ago and I love em a lot already
Hey Giu Are you using them with correction (Sonarworks, etc.) or without?
Old 1 week ago
  #431
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01010110 View Post
These are still my favorites. Then I use Clears or some other nice headphones to sort out the highs. Done a bunch of masters with that setup and feel totally confident to bring that setup on the road!
Are you using Audeze EQ/correction with them?

Always wondered how that held up against Sonarworks.
Old 1 week ago
  #432
Lives for gear
 
Giuseppe Zaccaria's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik Hjortnaes View Post
Hey Giu Are you using them with correction (Sonarworks, etc.) or without?

I have Sonarworks but I didn't feel the need, I will try tho
Old 1 week ago
  #433
Gear Maniac
 
01010110's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Are you using Audeze EQ/correction with them?

Always wondered how that held up against Sonarworks.
Yes, I use Audeze Reveal on those. Last time I checked Sonarworks didn't have a calibration for those and they would not do an individual calibration on IEMs. Now they might, so I consider sending them in. The Clears I mostly run without calibration, but they could use some. I really don't like the included Clear-calibration for my pair.
Old 1 week ago
  #434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Zaccaria View Post
I have Sonarworks but I didn't feel the need, I will try tho
I couldn't use them without the Sonarworks average correction (analytical), but I'm aware that we humans can have very different sensibility throughout the frequency range.
Old 1 week ago
  #435
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01010110 View Post
Yes, I use Audeze Reveal on those. Last time I checked Sonarworks didn't have a calibration for those and they would not do an individual calibration on IEMs. Now they might, so I consider sending them in. The Clears I mostly run without calibration, but they could use some. I really don't like the included Clear-calibration for my pair.
Try the Clear calibration at 70-80%. I was using 85% for a bit but dropped it down to 80% recently. You might find a nice balance.
Old 1 week ago
  #436
Lives for gear
 
Giuseppe Zaccaria's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik Hjortnaes View Post
I couldn't use them without the Sonarworks average correction (analytical), but I'm aware that we humans can have very different sensibility throughout the frequency range.

Yep we have ... I didn't use the analytical pads yet
Old 1 week ago
  #437
Gear Maniac
 
01010110's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Try the Clear calibration at 70-80%. I was using 85% for a bit but dropped it down to 80% recently. You might find a nice balance.
Thanks! I'll make sure to try again! I think the sound of them has changed a bit more since I tried it last time.

One interesting thing though.. Different ampsphones+amp setups may change the sound a bit. As an example, with the LCD-i4 I set Reveal to 60-65% when I ran it from a Lynx Hilo and around 30% when running it from a Chord Mojo. So I've made plugin chain presets for my most commonly used phones+amp configurations
Old 1 week ago
  #438
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Ah yes, wires crossed. Must be the 4's then.

I couldn't be happier with the Clears. Have you sent yours in for individual calibration yet?
Haven't sent them in yet. I can't be without them.
Old 2 days ago
  #439
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by art felton View Post
Unfortunately headphones are pretty useless when it comes to making critical decisions in mixing and mastering. They are great for hearing clicks and pops, but apart from that I do not use headphones any longer. I tried mixing tracks on highly regarded headphones when on holiday, but was surprised how little information they offer to make critical judgments. I honesty cannot recommend any headphone for Mixing or Mastering.
Andrew scheps has mixed entire records solely on headphones. And for that matter Sony 7506. It’s a question of knowing your tools. You can mix on headphones just fine but like anything it takes a lot of experience.
Old 2 days ago
  #440
Gear Head
 
Benoit D's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by art felton View Post
Unfortunately headphones are pretty useless when it comes to making critical decisions in mixing and mastering. They are great for hearing clicks and pops, but apart from that I do not use headphones any longer. I tried mixing tracks on highly regarded headphones when on holiday, but was surprised how little information they offer to make critical judgments. I honesty cannot recommend any headphone for Mixing or Mastering.
Don’t forget how our brain is a very powerful machine when it comes to adapt our sens.

In my opinion, manipulating audio (producing, mixing or mastering) is more difficult at the beginning with an headphone, compare to monitors work, because our brain is used to listen in the «*real*» space since we are born. In comparaison, the scale of perception through an headphone is ridiculously narrow. But with practice, you can become perfectly confortable with the headphone scale.

It seems that some people adapt their sens quicker then other. But that’s not because of headphone, that’s because we are all different
Old 2 days ago
  #441
Here for the gear
 
art felton's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedbear View Post
Andrew scheps has mixed entire records solely on headphones. And for that matter Sony 7506. It’s a question of knowing your tools. You can mix on headphones just fine but like anything it takes a lot of experience.
When mixing you can get away with not knowing exactly how a track feels physically at 85 SPL in a Mastering Room. I need to feel kick and the fundamentals of bass physically to make the right moves when Mastering. I can do anything on headphones and get decent results, but it is less than ideal. There is a degree of guesswork and approximation involved. You cannot do MS processing with confidence because you do not hear the proper stereo image.
Old 2 days ago
  #442
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by art felton View Post
When mixing you can get away with not knowing exactly how a track feels physically at 85 SPL in a Mastering Room. I need to feel kick and the fundamentals of bass physically to make the right moves when Mastering. I can do anything on headphones and get decent results, but it is less than ideal. There is a degree of guesswork and approximation involved. You cannot do MS processing with confidence because you do not hear the proper stereo image.
Yes I think you’ve made it clear that technically for you it’s not possible to mix and master with headphones. However you made the statement “headphones are pretty useless when it comes to making critical decisions in mixing and mastering”.
This is not the case and there are professional mix and mastering engineers at the top of the game who do use headphones to make critical decisions and some who have worked ENTIRELY on headphones and do it because they specifically find it ‘ideal’ eg Andrew Schepps. I think it’s important to point that out because there can be a common misconception spread that it is not possible to mix and master in headphones, or that it is a compromise. It is possible and professional mix and mastering engineers are doing it very successfully and they do not find it a compromise. The key however is understanding the tool and that takes time and experience.
Old 2 days ago
  #443
Here for the gear
 
art felton's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit D View Post
Don’t forget how our brain is a very powerful machine when it comes to adapt our sens.

In my opinion, manipulating audio (producing, mixing or mastering) is more difficult at the beginning with an headphone, compare to monitors work, because our brain is used to listen in the «*real*» space since we are born. In comparaison, the scale of perception through an headphone is ridiculously narrow. But with practice, you can become perfectly confortable with the headphone scale.

It seems that some people adapt their sens quicker then other. But that’s not because of headphone, that’s because we are all different
I agree that we all are different, but we all have bodies and not just brains and ears. Sound is a physical experience as well. If we had brains and ears only there would be less need for a proper monitoring environment. We need to feel just the right amount of sound pressure on our chest to get into a groove. To adjust for this on headphones when mastering is not an option for me. Once you have a proper monitoring environment you will know what you were missing. I do not say that you cannot mix or master your own tracks on headphones. I do not recommend it.
Old 2 days ago
  #444
Here for the gear
 
art felton's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedbear View Post
Yes I think you’ve made it clear that technically for you it’s not possible to mix and master with headphones. However you made the statement “headphones are pretty useless when it comes to making critical decisions in mixing and mastering”.
This is not the case and there are professional mix and mastering engineers at the top of the game who do use headphones to make critical decisions and some who have worked ENTIRELY on headphones and do it because they specifically find it ‘ideal’ eg Andrew Schepps. I think it’s important to point that out because there can be a common misconception spread that it is not possible to mix and master in headphones, or that it is a compromise. It is possible and professional mix and mastering engineers are doing it very successfully and they do not find it a compromise. The key however is understanding the tool and that takes time and experience.
How do you expect to gather experience below 40Hz without a proper monitoring environment to judge what you have created on headphones? Why are those professionals who claim to do it all on headphones in the minority? There is marketing going on financed by headphone companies remember. I am not selling anything here just experience.
Old 2 days ago
  #445
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by art felton View Post
How do you expect to gather experience below 40Hz without a proper monitoring environment to judge what you have created on headphones? Why are those professionals who claim to do it all on headphones in the minority? There is marketing going on financed by headphone companies remember. I am not selling anything here just experience.
This is getting a little ridiculous. Sure, Andrew Schepps is marketing Sony 7506’s! I’m sorry but it is a fact that he mixed entire records with headphones, did not feel it was a comprimise and he could also judge the low end. I’m just repeating to you what he said. Now you can put forward a conspiracy that he’s lying and doing it because of financial support from a headphone manufacturer, or you can assume he’s simply being honest and his experience and technical ability with headphones differs from yours. What you are selling is YOUR experience but you are putting it across as a statement of fact regarding what is possible with headphones and I disagree with this because the facts do not agree with you.

In general most mixing and mastering engineers prefer speakers as their primary mix tool, that is correct. Others however use headphones as their tool for mixing and mastering and make their critical decisions in the way that you do not, because they get the results they are after and prefer the workflow.
Old 2 days ago
  #446
Gear Head
 
Benoit D's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by art felton View Post
I agree that we all are different, but we all have bodies and not just brains and ears. Sound is a physical experience as well. If we had brains and ears only there would be less need for a proper monitoring environment. We need to feel just the right amount of sound pressure on our chest to get into a groove. To adjust for this on headphones when mastering is not an option for me. Once you have a proper monitoring environment you will know what you were missing. I do not say that you cannot mix or master your own tracks on headphones. I do not recommend it.
That’s funny because you try to convince someone who’s already very aware of the listening experience differences between a pair of speakers and an headphone. I think we all agree on that point in this thread... that’s not the subject here. It’s different yes. It’s not the same feeling, yes. But it’s not exclusive.

Generally speaking it’s easier to walk with 2 legs or to live with 2 eyes. But you know, some people can ski better than me with only one leg or run faster than me being blind. It’s possible because they made an awesome training and changed their perception of what we are callling «*the normality*».
Old 2 days ago
  #447
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
This is headed in the same direction as the 'fade-in' thread (circus) regarding 3D depth plugins.

Lets avoid that—as this thread is useful—by acknowledging the simplicity of the situation: an anonymous GS member (an alias of course: 9 posts to his/her name, 7 of them in this thread) can't mix/master with headphones. Others can (arf) and do.

Done!

P.S. Ignore list is your friend.
Old 2 days ago
  #448
OMU
Lives for gear
 
OMU's Avatar
 

If you or I can't do it, that doesn't mean others can't. You know, there was this dude that was able to compose complicated works, and he was stone deaf.

I personally prefer taking most decisions on speakers but, I have to admit, since having these planars, I could easily do more on them than I do now.
And yeah, speaking of low end, I surely hear it a lot better on my LCDi4 than on my Amphions.
Old 2 days ago
  #449
Here for the gear
 
art felton's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedbear View Post
This is getting a little ridiculous. Sure, Andrew Schepps is marketing Sony 7506’s! I’m sorry but it is a fact that he mixed entire records with headphones, did not feel it was a comprimise and he could also judge the low end. I’m just repeating to you what he said. Now you can put forward a conspiracy that he’s lying and doing it because of financial support from a headphone manufacturer, or you can assume he’s simply being honest and his experience and technical ability with headphones differs from yours. What you are selling is YOUR experience but you are putting it across as a statement of fact regarding what is possible with headphones and I disagree with this because the facts do not agree with you.

In general most mixing and mastering engineers prefer speakers as their primary mix tool, that is correct. Others however use headphones as their tool for mixing and mastering and make their critical decisions in the way that you do not, because they get the results they are after and prefer the workflow.
How do you personally get the balance right between the three areas from subsonic to 40Hz, 40Hz to 100Hz and from 100Hz to 200 Hz on headphones alone? Please explain this in detail.
Old 2 days ago
  #450
Gear Head
 
Benoit D's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU View Post
If you or I can't do it, that doesn't mean others can't. You know, there was this dude that was able to compose complicated works, and he was stone deaf.
I forgot about this example which leave me mute (so to speak)
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump